The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

95 tsi awd, 6 bolt swap take two

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolingaround

Proven Member
Nov 6, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Where to start... Well i've had my white 95 tsi awd for 7 years, and it was more or less my first car that wasn't a hand me down from my parents. So she is my baby.

For the first 4 years she was in the shop seemingly for more than she was running. Finally, my father and I started doing all the work ourselves on it after a number of cases where the shops did jobs wrong.

We modded it with a 14b, evo 560 injectors and supporting fuel system and used an AFC to tune. Well, it violently threw a rod about 3 years ago and she sat. For three years.

This past August my father and I swapped in a factory OEM 6 bolt motor (it was a crate motor), did a fair bit of maintenance. The most unfortunate thing is that at 4k miles I suspected something was wrong with the motor as it was burning a significant amount of oil and only had 120 pis of compression across the board ([ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_t71mYTsJI]DSM burning oil on a fresh rebuild - YouTube[/ame]).

It took me a while to get a leak down tester, but I did, and the result was not good. The piston rings were were leaking up to 60%, basically, they were toast [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVRw8s3Z6zg]Leak down test on a 2G DSM bad piston rings - YouTube[/ame].

I had just moved 6 hours away from home and started a new job when I noticed and diagnosed all this. Back home I have full access to a shop garage with a lift, hoist, pneumatic tools, everything. But here, I have almost nothing :(

I found a 10X20 storage unit available for a decent price and the owner said they would let me not only keep a car there, but do extensive work on it, such as pulling the motor and such. So now, I plan to pull the motor, tear it apart, replace the piston rings, put her back together AND... upgrade to a 20G turbo :D

I am shooting for 400 AWHP although I will probably keep the boost down and have it set around 330 for daily driving.

Mods currently:
6 bolt bottom end and head
14B
1G bov
evo 560 injectors
wally 255 HP
AFPR
ECMLink v3 lite
Greddy FMIC
ACT 2600 PP & Street Disc
Slotted and drilled rotors

I just signed for the storage unit today so here are some pictures of what will soon be my make shift garage.

I also picked up 4 jack stands for $15 off craigslist. Still need to get a floor jack and many tools.

Attachments

• IMG_20140220_172334_462.jpg
    IMG_20140220_172334_462.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20140220_172347_832.jpg
    IMG_20140220_172347_832.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20140220_172703_107.jpg
    IMG_20140220_172703_107.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 87
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back