The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

95 Talon: Project Unloved 2G (RIP)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmxfelon420

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 6, 2005
Napoleon, Ohio
Here is a thread to document the build and life and times of my poor, poor talon. When i got her, she was a mess. Interior ripped up and painted black and red, lots of stuff missing, lots of boost leaks, and a muffler that stuck out way too far. Parts on the car as i recieved it:

95 Talon TSI AWD
LSD rear end
Automatic
EEPROM ecu (not socketed)
Injen intake
fruity muffler welded to stock exhaust

first meet

th_beefd586.jpg

Engine before shot. This was when all the front valve cover bolts were stripped, and before I cleaned anything. The valve cover leaked, the half moon leaked, and a cam seal was in the process of letting go. One exhaust manifold stud was missing completely, the other broken, and yet another one with a SAE bolt in it. The gasket also leaked badly.
th_IMG_20101004_190603.jpg

Fruity interior. I dont know what would posess someone to paint a grey interior red and black.
th_14ee2dd9.jpg

Being worked on. The guy I bought it from traded a truck and $500 dollars for it because it didnt run. The reason was because the power transistor was unplugged (and missing the clip)
th_c6b6425b.jpg

Just brought home from purchase. I actually drove it to the shootout before i officially owned it, that was scary. Driving around with plates off of an 86 Starion is nerve wracking.
IMG_20101004_185726.jpg

Broken foglight. You know how hard it was to find just one foglight to replace it?
IMG_20101004_185904.jpg

New door panels. I got these for $40 bucks at the shootout, made the car look a lot better
IMG_20101004_190039.jpg

plastic BOV mod! I found a thread here somewhere and decided to attempt it, it helped but the valve still leaked.
IMG_20100914_195235.jpg

engine after a lot of cleaning. I had also at this point installed Stainless exhaust studs and Heli-coiled the three bad ones and replaced the gasket. It was a Fel pro that i had laying around and let go again because i couldnt torque the bolts properly.
th_IMAG0011-1.jpg

ghetto made 1g BOV upper. We made it from a stock 1g flange, a piece of exhaust and a radiator hose. Worked pretty well, the flange warped a lot from the welding and needed machined later.
th_IMAG0016.jpg

Just a pic, I think at this point I had the ECU socketed and set up with link V2. I also had a Translab shift kit installed with the medium spring. Made it shift a lot less lazily.
IMG_20101004_185955.jpg

Here's one of some new seats i got in the Junkyard for 50 bucks. After this and a thorough scrubdown, it made the car look MUUUCH nicer inside. Huge difference.
2012-06-18_18-39-36_394-1.jpg

Goodies ordered to put the 16g on
2012-06-18_22-13-00_978.jpg

Working on the new Exhaust and IC. I also put new upper window moldings on, almost pristine ones at the junkyard for 15 bucks!
2012-06-09_16-42-37_123.jpg

Intercooler finally on. It sucked because the guy i bought it from bent the brackets all up for some reason, and we had no vise.
2012-06-09_16-42-01_25.jpg

Shot of new exhaust. It fit pretty well, except that I forgot all the bolts and gaskets at home and had to go to NAPA to get more, it was a long drive home.
2012-06-09_16-43-22_340.jpg

and then, the car caught on fire. After i had put the IC and Exhaust on, all of the various hooning done in the interim seemed to do in the T25. So i parked the car, and had got a big 16g for free that needed rebuilt, so I was waiting on that. In the meantime, i started the car periodically to keep my tune, because the default flash was for 780's and I didnt have the cable to set it back if i unhooked the battery. One night when I did this, I let it run, came out, shut it off, went inside and about three hours later it was full on burning down. I think oil must have just been pouring out of the turbo while it was idling, which i didnt see at all when i went out to shut it off and it didnt smell like oil or anything. The fire department thought that the oil smoldered over time and started just catching on fire.

th_2012-07-15_12-03-32_610.jpg

and then
th_2012-07-15_12-02-39_411.jpg

and then
th_2012-07-15_12-01-56_740.jpg

and then
th_2012-07-15_12-03-08_538.jpg

and then
th_2012-08-04_14-16-39_855-1.jpg

no and then!
th_2012-08-07_21-04-04_476-1.jpg

The car was a total loss, and was insured fortunately. So it got replaced with the car you see in my avatar, which I will start a thread on shortly. Final list of mods when the car burned down:

intake
OBX 3" DP
SRS 3" catback
link V2
cheap boost gauge
OBX FMIC
t25@16lbs

I'll try to get a video up of the drag passes i got in pretty soon. They were pretty underwhelming, I was still on a stock ecu because I didnt have time to socket it before the shootout that year, and still had the leaky BOV. I had another pass that was going really well too before the transistor came unplugged and shut the car off. What a PITA.

Wow.. crazy. Thanks for sharing. And scaring the crap out of me!
Always sad to lose one. :cry:

Videos of the drag passes I made with this car. I have a feeling it would have been high 13's if I could have done another pass the next year after I put the Exhaust, FMIC, and tweaked the tune a little. It pulled much harder after that. But we'll never know :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back