The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

95 Talon AWD Panda

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice build buddy of mine just got his hx40 est 427 hp on his 1g, im looking to grab one soon myself for my 1g. Nice pics.

Nice build buddy of mine just got his hx40 est 427 hp on his 1g, im looking to grab one soon myself for my 1g. Nice pics.

Thanks pal, I'm hoping this hx35 will make it up to those numbers :pray: I was debating going with an hx40 but I think I made the right choice

Well gentlemen it's the update we've all been waiting for... the engine is in its home! Really wasn't as bad as i had expected wrestling it in there but it probably helped that my dad can man handle things like a grizzly bear :thumb: Anyway, I still have all the little things to do such as install the driveshaft, transfer case, axles, and exhaust along with various little things. But I'm hoping to have it started by next week :hellyeah: And now pics of the engine!
Aint she puuurdy
null_zpsadb00cc1.jpg

I did run into clearance issues however with the external wastegate and my drivers side radiator fan, not sure what I'm going to do about that but I will post a thread on that soon.
As you can see there's literally zero space for a fan in there xD
null_zps9fa330a0.jpg

Next update will hopefully be a video of it running with all the little details finished!

Well I havent updated since I got the engine in but I've been pretty busy this week. On Monday, while I work I found out that a can of spray adhesive (which I forgot was in my car) exploded. Literally the worst thing I can imagine. So instead of spending Monday working on the talon, I spent the night removing the glue from my entire interior. Here are some pics of the carnage.
null_zpsbb14f148.jpg

null_zps796e2c70.jpg

But on the talon I kept trying to progress with whatever I could in the engine bay. I wanted to keep as many wires hidden as I could so I tucked most of them within the intake manifold. Worked out pretty well, I even tucked the power transistor inside there xD I mounted the coil pack to the right of the intake manifold after a bit of banging on the bracket with a sledgehammer. Seems like it should work. Anyways pictures will show the progress easier than I can type, so just look at those :thumb:

null_zpsfa23ef15.jpg

AFPR attached to the brake fluid reservoir's bracket.

null_zps0a2fb968.jpg

Coil pack mounted to IM

null_zpsadb76672.jpg

Power transistor inside of IM

null_zps6d6a5cac.jpg

Clearance of radiator hose to transmission counterweight. This is with it in gear, plenty of clearance. The radiator hose is however touching the intake.

null_zps027beecd.jpg

This pic pretty much sums it up.

So hopefully this saturday I can get all the drivetrain hooked up and everything in the engine bay ready for a first start! Wish me luck!

Lookin' good man,

I had the same problem with my radiator fan & wastegate. All I did was mount the fan on the other side to push and swapped the leads. As far s mounting, I just used the plastic radiator clips which worked great.

The exploded can of adhesive must really suck getting off.

Lookin' good man,

I had the same problem with my radiator fan & wastegate. All I did was mount the fan on the other side to push and swapped the leads. As far s mounting, I just used the plastic radiator clips which worked great.

The exploded can of adhesive must really suck getting off.

Great build man! Mad props!

Very nice progress. Keep up the good work

Thank you guys! Yesterday I put in the driveshaft and transfer case as well as installing every part of the engine bay so literally all that's left is putting in the axles and filling everything up! If everything goes well it will start this week, it's been a long road but it was absolutely worth it.

Hey guys! Figured I'd update this since I haven't posted the progress I made with getting it to run. Well after changing aspects of the tune, fixing my major boost leaks, and adjusting a couple sensors, she idles without wanting to die! I only got one video of it idling and it was before I fixed another major leak at the EGR blockoff plate so you can hear it surging. I'm hoping that the next time I fire it up I can adjust the tune even more to try and get a smooth idle. So once that's done I'll take another video, I'll also take a video of how much the interior shakes thanks to the poly mounts, I actually love it cause it makes you know youre in a real car ;-) Anyway, the next few update will just be me fixing leaks and fine tuning because I don't think I can make it out of the driveway until I change my suspension, it's too low haha. But that will come in the next few weeks as well.

Here's the video, no exhaust, when I first got it running
A6854875-D3EA-4FB2-AC9B-24E52EBABB11-2774-0000042DB465A44D_zps21fb6e10.mp4 Video by PandaTalonBuild | Photobucket

Little update today.

I decided that now is a good time as ever to get the front end on. I've had the bumper sitting in my garage since I got the car so today I took the time to finally put it together. I also got a set of headlights from headlightsdepot.com and I have to say they look amazing compared to the 18 year old set on my eclipse LOL
I also decided to see what the rims I have on it would look like plastidipped so I did the back wheel. The pictures don't do it justice at all, but the wheel that was dipped looks almost like an RPF1 now instead of ugly rims with a chrome lip. When I can get a better picture of the wheels I'll post it up.

ALSO: it looks like I'm gonna have to send my ECU to ecmlink to get the ISC drivers replaced which sucks but will help me when trying to tune since I just got some FIC 1050cc injectors! Next update I will take a video of the Thermal exhaust as well since I got that on. :thumb:

null_zps1e1d0fb4.jpg

null_zpsc0e6cda6.jpg

null_zps58aba395.jpg

null_zps6fa8f2d4.jpg

null_zps3d582032.jpg

Fotor0914152456_zps1bf3873d.jpg

Love it. I'm going through a lot of the same stuff on my 2ga GSX and a rebuild on my roomates 2gb GSX. My roommate isn't big on the simple stuff, or "do it once do it right" mentality. There's a reason i'm rebuilding his motor at 140xxx. But I love to see people clean up the engine bay like that. Props for bringing the car back to life man!

I've also been wanting to put black carpet in mine and a new headliner. So thanks for the pics and the motivation too!

Good job on the build progress.

Noticed a couple things though, your oil feed line from the OFH looks like its touching your O2 housing, you may want to consider routing it in front of your manifold so it does not touch any exhaust parts. Also, you may want to double check where the line is going into your OFH.

Our setups are very similar so I can tell you you are going to have issues with your alternator being so close to your O2 housing. You may want to re-wrap that or add a layer to protect your alt from that heat. Or even do the alt swap but thats if you already got rid of your AC of course.

GL.

Edit: Forgot to mention, replace your coolant hose with a flex pipe so it doesn't touch your heat shield. Cheap insurance against melting that hose, and prevents unnecessary heat transfer.

First off, Sorry for no update in a LOOOONG time, I've been working a ton and it's winter so my motivation is very small. But the good news is that I would like to get it into the paint shop in about a month! I absolutely can't wait, it'll be like a new car. I have installed racing seats and done a few little things so maybe i'll update this with pictures soon, or you'll just have to wait for the paint shots :sneaky:

Good job on the build progress.

Noticed a couple things though, your oil feed line from the OFH looks like its touching your O2 housing, you may want to consider routing it in front of your manifold so it does not touch any exhaust parts. Also, you may want to double check where the line is going into your OFH.

Our setups are very similar so I can tell you you are going to have issues with your alternator being so close to your O2 housing. You may want to re-wrap that or add a layer to protect your alt from that heat. Or even do the alt swap but thats if you already got rid of your AC of course.

GL.

Edit: Forgot to mention, replace your coolant hose with a flex pipe so it doesn't touch your heat shield. Cheap insurance against melting that hose, and prevents unnecessary heat transfer.

I appreciate you're concerns pal, I'll look into your suggestions and see what I can do, thanks for looking out for me!

A lot of your pictures arent showing up for me, but from what I have seen I think your doing an awesome job!

Sorry the pics aren't showing up, they're there for me, if you want you can take a look through my photobucket gallery to get the general idea.
PandaTalonBuild's's Library | Photobucket

Some picture updates, waiting for the refund check to bring it to the body shop! :thumb:

Current engine pic. Coil on plug conversion wired for the 95 ecu and the arc-2 cdi to power it! Probably overkill for my hp goals but this is also a show car so it's more for the clean look.

85c64f83-a364-45f5-8f40-d91fcfde83b0_zps27571cc2.jpg

Pics of the racing seats installed, they've been in there for a few weeks i've just been to busy to take pics,
36CB94D9-FEAB-4170-8E80-60AB0CBFE0EA_zpseho2hy0u.jpg

All 6 gauges are wired in and functional, pioneer stereo was relocated to the glovebox
8EB3CC5E-C676-41AC-9DC7-D201421DE778_zpstdpylfdm.jpg

I gotta say, I'm really happy with how clean both the interior and engine bay has become. It's exactly what I pictured when I bought the car as a project. When I pull the car out of the garage next time I'll try and take some better pics of everything, and of course when it's painted I'll take many many pictures!

Hey guys! Long time no update but the Talon is finally out of the body shop and has it's new rims mounted. Man does it look sweet! :) Anyway, here are some pics to drool over :p
Rims are 18x8.5 TSW Nurburgring. Pretty proud of these since I don't think I've seen another DSM with them mounted, let me know your thoughts!
10534466_10202369018178164_146541479166471695_n_zps7e9bfdf1.jpg

10561835_10202369018138163_5771748794665710351_n_zps5d5592cd.jpg

10612818_10202369018018160_3641874853027085436_n_zpseafb35a4.jpg

Car looks great and really good work getting it all together but 18's are too big for the Talon wheel well. You need a rubber band tire to get the size right. Look at 2G Talons with Evo 9 Enkies and 245/40's Perfect!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back