The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

95 GSX DD restoration build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

second_amendment

Proven Member
Mar 31, 2014
Long Beach, California
what up guys. I just recently purchased this diamond in the rough, since i wont be able to dd the evo any more, and still want to be in something similar but subtle. In the meaning i wouldn't go crazy sitting in the California bumper to bumper traffic :banghead:. I plan on having this car 100% og stock; so sorry for you speed freaks :nono:. just a nice reliable GSX DD:hellyeah:

here is my evo build thread if you guys want to check it out

FROM RAGS TO RICHES sort of

here we go

the first day i went to check it out.

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

yes the wheel are coming off and searching for the oem wheels.

so far what i have done to the DD

the car came with no transmission / axles so all that jazz is in transit as we speak but aside from the obvious everything else looks in good condition.

don't judge the 2x4 was not my idea was already on the car when purchased

DSC_1258.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

here it is at my house after a couple of replacement parts and a good pressure wash

DSC_1248.jpg

DSC_1252.jpg

DSC_1253.jpg

first on the list to go was the rear view mirror that was peeling.

DSC_1250.jpg

so went to the local pick your part and found a couple parts that are replacing the old worn out ones.

DSC_1256.jpg

along with these part i got the weather striping/ molding that goes over the door trim which was just cracked and not serving its purpose and replaced it with fresh rubber. no pics of this yet sorry

I also found a really well maintained center garnish 95 spec with the chrome lettering not peeled. pic to come soon .

I know the seats have seen way better days, but i will get them redone in the near feature once the car is all 100% mechanically.

small DIY repair/ update

i just noticed this today after it was pointed out to me, and since its sat my day off and have to take what ever time I have since i have kids and a wife, and they take up most of my day.

difficulty level 2 out of 5
time duration: 30 min but depends on how bad the damage is.

tools needed heat gun and a round dull object to push against hot plastic.

disclaimer. i am not responsible for any damages you/ may occur to the object being repaired. this is for documentation purposes only. try at your own risk

and on to the pics

IMG_0322.jpg

before

IMG_0321.jpg

hold your heat gun 6" inches away on low heat centering around the damage area and slowly moving directly on the actual crease area for about 2-3 min.

around area.

IMG_0323.jpg

directly on area

IMG_0324.jpg

after area becomes soft, push from behind to pop the dent/ damaged area out. it still may look bad but we are not finished yet.

IMG_0325.jpg

and after a little pushing with the dull object you get a little closer

IMG_0328.jpg

a little more heating and pushing

IMG_0329.jpg

and finally

IMG_0326.jpg

Stellar work with the heat gun! Nice!

I've gotten bumper dents to pop out using another trick.... Take the bumper off and put it in your car on a hot day. A lot of the time it will pop out on it's own from the extreme heat!

Nice fix on the bumper.

Do you have any leads on getting the seats redone? I have searched all over for OEM or OEM looking seat skins for my 95 GSX with power drivers seat, and it seems to be tough to find.

update 4/28

The car came with cheap old purple tint, so it had to go!.... MAN WHAT A PITA!

I used the steam method that I have used on my other vehicles but dam i have never gotten steam burned as much as i did on that day.

IMG_0331.jpg

I just used a conventional/ home type steam iron for my suits.

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

update 5/1

I got my transmission in today and so far the trans look like its been rebuilt. I bought it off ebay so :/ lets see how well it works. it does come with a 6 month warranty. That's what gives me a bit of piece of mind.

It was a pain in the but pulling it off the freight company trailor that delivered it to my friends shop, and more of a pain to get it down from the back of my truck.

I never had a hard time sourcing a trans as much as i had with this one. These parts are getting harder and more expensive to get. I cut a deal with the ebay seller; I got the trans, transfer case and torque converter with shipping for 800.00. i know its a ton for a auto trans but no one had one, and after searching on the forums no one had one for sale until after I purchased mine I seen 2 pop up on the forums FML. desperate times call for desperate measures.

IMG_0359.jpg

update 5/2

the day i picked up the trans from my friends shop that i it shipped to. the oil leaked out of the transfer case, my friend noticed it and told me to check the bearings in it because I don't think gear oil is suppose to glitter like that, ( Crap ) at the beginning i didn't want to believe it but it lingered in the back of my mind and didn't want a surprise in the future.

So i took apart the transfer case and ......

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

pieces came barfing out of it. moment of silence.... and then the vulgar, nasty, mother loving words came out. :bang:

I checked out the shaft and the bearing became one with the shaft. I tried to pull it off, Heating it off but no luck. I started to try to cut if off very carefully with a thin cutting wheel. but didn't get to far since it was dark out already

i might just end up taking it to a machine shop, so they can put it on a lathe and cut it down. I looked on jacks transmissions and they sell a kit to rebuild the T case.

IMG_0367.jpg

Long time since an update but lots has been done. :) MOD 13 here i come.

so after finding out that my transfer case was shot, I went ahead and got all the bearings with bearing seats and went to town on it. This thing was so over heated that the bearing welded it self to the shaft.

it was a pain in the behind and had to use almast every available tool in the shop to rip this thing off here is the carnage.

IMG_0370.jpg

and here is the bearing in two pieces after 2 hours of cutting and bearing pullers. Finally! but doesnt look nice.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

after sanding down the burs and weld mark i got it somewhat low, this was after 45 min of just sanding it with a 1k grit sandpaper, and i spent about an hour in a half doing this.

IMG_0369.jpg

and the new bearing pressed in and ready to go back in the transfer case.

IMG_0383.jpg

while awaiting for my transmission axle seals from south coast mitsu dealer i picked up the oem swirls for the 2ga gsx model from a local LADSM forum.

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

I say the swirl look much better than the wheels that the car came with.

and finally after a few weeks and a few hours installing this monster of a trans it is in.

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

and here it is all buttoned up and ready for the axles and transfer case to be installed

IMG_0470.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back