The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

95 gsT head re build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreverthuggin0417

Banned Member
Aug 1, 2012
Nowhere, California
Hey, this is my first somewhat build. Story goes like this. I was doing 60k maintenance and doing timing and balance shaft belt change. Note: belt didn't break. A buddy of mine says he would help me do it for he has some knowledge of doing this. Come to find out he does not. We take everything off and he locks up the cam gears so they don't rotate and tries to turn 1/2" crank shaft bolt counter clockwise. It jumps teeth and crank shaft turns. He does this a few times before I look on the site and come to find out its just four bolts to take off the sprocket. Long story short, he bent valves. Idk how many but when I go to drive my car it feels like she doesn't want to go at all and wants to die. This is the reason for the rebuild. Me and my dad take quite a long time a few days ago to take everything apart to pull the head. We get it off and you could tell at least four are bent. I took it to the machine shop yesterday. I'm getting some new parts before I get the motor back. This is my first somewhat of a build and if anyone has any suggestions on anything I should do/build while I have the engine out would highly be appreciated. I will update with pics soon. Sorry if some don't consider this a build. This is my first dsm only had her for a month. But I'm shooting for low to high 12's as a first goal. Kind of tight on money or goal would be low 11's. thanks for any support ahead of time. Hope to have more updates soon.

If you are going to keep this car for a while and depending on what your end goal is I would look into things you can do now that will keep you from having to tear the head/motor apart again in the future if your power goals change... For example, you are probably going to eventually upgrading cams, depending on which ones you get might want to consider grabbing valve springs now... you can have them installed while the head is off (much easier to do) they aren't too terribly expensive and depending on what cams you decide on in the future, springs are a recommended. It wouldn't be a bad idea to look into doing something of an upgrade to the bottom end while you are in there. the 1G rod upgrade wouldn't be bad, or swapping in evo8/9 piston and rods, both can be done relatively inexpensive. And with only 60K on the motor you shouldn't have to do much of anything other then hone the block out. other than that a good head gasket and ARP head studs and you will probably be set for a while. Maybe do the oil port mod on the head.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/311850-any-2gs-evo-pistons.html

Mike96: I was thinking on going with 272's and evo springs with 3G lifters. But I'm going to do that in January when I get my financial aid again. The car has 139,000 on it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Most likely going to get evo 8 pistons and rods too. I'm looking for 300-400 hp. Still daily driver. I'm looking at getting 14b for 60 bucks or this guy has a td05 20g for 70. I personally want to run a small 16g. Arp studs will be going in soon as we'll. the shop is taking itch sweet time right now so I'm just cleaning the engine up. Had oil leek when I got her a month ago. Today I'm going to take off cat and down pipe. Got new high flow cat and 3" down pipe. Tomorrow I'm taking off old side mount and putting on super side mount. Any idea on how to install it? I think it's a 1g. Will update pics today. Thanks for the advice.

for 300-400 whp you would need way more than all that.

specially on a FWD...

You would need, bigger injectors, fuel pump, at least a small 16g like you want or bigger.. a very good tune,gauges, FMIC, a full 3" exhaust, slicks..

This is a very good start but it will be a long time before you hit 12's unles you have lots of $.
Can we see some pics of that "Super" SMIC.

keep us updated.

Log #3Hey. Here goes some pics of things I've been doing and adding since the build. I hope the pics upload right my I pad is uploading them but they are not showing up after I upload them. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Side mount

New down pipe

New high flow racing cat

Turbo cat back

Picture of me and my dad taking engine apart.

Log #4 Alan11: as of now I have, 3" turbo cat back with 4" tip, blitz BOV, glow shift boost and air to fuel ratio gauge, chrome turbo intake, manual boost controller, high flow cat, bigger side mount and 3" down pipe. When all is done I will also have 5500 - 650cc injectors, 190lph or evo 8 fuel pump (might go 255lph), 14b or small 16g turbo, front mount Intercooler, dsmlink or flash a 97-99 ecu, evo internals (pistons, rods, springs etc.) and maybe 272 cams. I'm also going to get slicks just for the front. I don't have a lot of money but all the stuff I did so far I did in a month. I am also finding good deals on stuff right now like yesterday someone had 5500cc injectors, 14b, front mount with piping and 255. Walbro for $300, but I don't have cash due to head re build and gaskets valves etc.... So hopefully after I'm done with the head I could find deals like that again. I also had a chance to get a td05 20g for $70. You think I should go that route? Thanks for the suggestions. Note: I still did nothing at all to suspension. What kind of advice could you give for that?

Log #5 Hey. As of now everything is moving kind of slow. The machine shop is taking its sweet time. Said they should be done on or before Friday. Will update more pix soon. Yesterday I tried to take off down pipe and cat and could not get the nuts off. :notgood: I'm just going to wait until I get the hard back in and put the car up on ramps
. Had to do that to put on cat back. It's a little frustrating not having my car in working order. Today I'm just cleaning under the hood and cleaning my intake and exhaust manifolds.

Big side mount: I posted a picture of the side mount I got from a friend which he stated was a " super side mount " but come to find out a lot of people on the site are saying it is a stock 1g smic and would be a waste to install on my 95 gsT. Anyone have any advice on that?

Engine block only thing left in car

Dang bolt won't come off of cat

Other pics

Other pix

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back