The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

93 Tsi budget warrior

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkstoygsx

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2007
Green Valley, Illinois
I have owned quite a few dsm's over the past years and this will be the first time I have ever posted anything to do with my own personal build. The car is a 1993 Eagle talon Tsi Awd, 120k on the chassis. Literally starting this project form the ground up. This project is going to be done the way I want it done and trying to avoid the anxiety of getting it done soon, Im going to try and do it slow to get it done all at once. My plans for now are to just gather all items needed, clean and paint what I can to look clean everywhere on the vehicle and build a strong street motor (with the occasional trip to the track). One of my good friends was going to scrap the car after letting it sit behind his barn for the past three years but I couldnt stand to see it hit the scrap yard. So with that being said, here are a few pics:

Couple pics of the condition it was in when I first picked it up a couple weeks ago:

phonesync4512119.jpg

phonesync4512118.jpg

phonesync4512117.jpg

phonesync4512115.jpg

Couple pics of the Interior and Engine bay before I got started:

phonesync4512123.jpg

phonesync4512125.jpg

phonesync4512124.jpg

phonesync4512129.jpg

phonesync4512128.jpg

phonesync4512130.jpg

phonesync4512131.jpg

After hours of work, and tons of cleaning and prepping here are some pics of the progress I have so far:

phonesync4512132.jpg

phonesync4512148.jpg

phonesync4512147.jpg

phonesync4512145.jpg

phonesync4512146.jpg

phonesync4512137.jpg

Under Coated all the interior metal (floors pans and driveshaft tunnel), Under coated most of the engine bay and front chassis. Gonna get started on the exterior to prep for paint soon with pics to follow.

Thanks for the space and thanks for looking!

I'm looking at the engine bay before and after. Subscribed have fun buddy can't wait to see

Over the past couple days I picked up a good 6 bolt shortblock to start tearing apart and getting ready for the machine shop. Also received a few of my goodies from extremepsi the other day to start the engine build.

Stock bottom end:

phonesync4512109.jpg

phonesync4512110.jpg

SCAT Forged Rods w/ ARP bolts:

phonesync4512114.jpg

ACL Full Groove Rod and Main bearings, couple OEM oil filters and some new bolt kits, OEM valve cover in great shape:

phonesync4512112.jpg

FILE0009.jpg

Looking good mate. Keep up the good work. I have the same rods, good stuff there :thumb:

Looks good dude!! kinda funny because i just a 92 that looks just like that LOL, wish you luck and hope it turns out great!:thumb:

Just a quick update, picked up a complete talon tsi this weekend to gather the parts i need. Ill post progress pics in the next few days after i start getting the interior back together and start putting the engine bay together.

Well its been a couple days and I have yet to post progress pics. Been too busy swapping parts over between talons (haha). i did place a decent sized order with extremepsi.com and its suppose to be here tomorrow night when i get home form work. Ill post pics of the goodies for sure.

Well I finally got some pics of the new items I received this week from CPSC (car parts santa claus, LOL). Spent all night last night pulling parts off the parts car to get it ready for the shredder. Enjoy:

Found this OEM Shop manual in my storage stuff, still in wrapper. Also, came across a Brand New dealership brochure for the 1993 Talon Tsi.

DSC03873.jpg

New Gates Racing Alternator Belt (yea woohoo, but its only $3 more then OEM), New inspection plate, New OEM p/s belt, New clutch fork, New OEM throwout bearing, New pivot Ball, New Timing belt cover bolts, and some other bolts (cant remember off hand).

DSC03874.jpg

Zentec HID Kit (8500k), SS Clutch line, Fuel pump rewire kit, New OEM water pump bolts, New Oil fill cap, MBC and Solid Shifter bushings (under hood set).

DSC03875.jpg

New OEM Upper and Lower Coolant Hoses, New OEM heater hose kit, Felpro lower gasket set, New hatch struts.

DSC03876.jpg

Trans and Tcase (WTF with the orange paint) out of the parts car. Supposedly both have 50k on them.

DSC03877.jpg

Engine out of parts car. Going to be installing this one just to get the car on the streets while I build my High Boost Engine. This engine has 30 miles on it also, guy I bought it from bought the engine from me last summer and just got it together a few weeks before I picked it up. Gonna throw some new gaskets in it and re check all torque specs. Even has a new alternator (oh yea)!

DSC03879.jpg

DSC03878.jpg

3" exhaust, driveshaft and rear end off parts car.

DSC03880.jpg

Got the parts car completly gutted and shipped to the scrap yard today. Now starts the clean up and transfer of parts to the Talon. Pics of this weeks progress next weekend. Hoping to have the car driving to MOD day in September

well it has been WAY to HOT to work on the car for a few weeks now. I have tinkered with it a little bit but not near as much as I would have liked to. I have got a few things done over the last few weeks.

Ive used Dupli - Color Vinyl/fabric die to redo all the interior plastics and i am very impressed at how well that stuff works.

Also got started on the undercoating process on the rearend. let me know what you think!

Attachments

• IMAG0213.jpg
    IMAG0213.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 184
Nice job man! what kind of under coating you use? I have my bay basically completely stripped of paint and am on the fence about re-painting or under coating it........not the best at painting! :coy: keep it up the steller work man!

Last edited:
I alwasy use Rustoleum brand for any kind of undercoating or spray paint applications. And I also used the truck bed liner for the engine bay. It tends to not be sticky when it dries as apposed to the undercoating which takes forever to finally get hard and drie.

Did a little more work today even though it was like 95*... Got the wiper motor and arm assembly back on and working. passenger door window motor hooked up and glass back in. also due to the car sitting outside for many years prior to my ownership, i started running a tap through all the holes i will be using under the hood to clean them out and get ready for the engine install. Got a ton of brackets and metal items off and ready to be sandblasted. My brother is going to hook me up by taking them to work and having them sandblasted so that i dont have to use like 2000 grinding discs here at home.

The OEM rebuild should be going together here in the next few weeks. Just wainting for the machine shop to finish up with it. having them tank the block, clean and inspect the crank and cyl. head along with a valve job, hope to get it back soon. As for the race engine, all I have are the rods. havent had the extra cash for the other items (pistons, main girdle, etc.) but that will come over time. I plan to drive it for the winter/spring and next summer drop in the built engine for some summer/fall track time.

Tomorrow im going to start tearing apart all the items on the bottom side to get it ready for Undercoating. I will post completed pics once finished.

Been awhile since Ive been on the web. Got a bunch more done to the car but not as much as I would have liked to. My initial goal was to try and have it up and running in time for MOD this year but since that is this Saturday I dont think that is going to happen. D*MN!

Over the past few weeks I have gotten the gas tank cleaned up and installed back to its home on the underside. Got the shortblock back from the machine shop and found out I need a new cylinder head, which I will be ordering one shortly from a member on here (BOGUS SVO). Did some cleaning and painting of engine bay items and started narrowing down the list of things I need to get the car atleast running before winter. This way I can do the bodywork thru the cold months!

The short block went together nicely and I am very pleased with the ACL FULL GROOVE bearings that I purchased for assembly. The reason I bought full groove is because I had to buy oversized bearings, plus a little extra oil cant hurt. Everything checked out good with some plasti-gage so I dont think I will have any problems with the bottom end.

With the help of a fellow DSMer (doayamaha), I was able to get alot of this accomplished. We also shaved my valve cover and intake manifold in the process and they look awesome. I ordered my -6AN fittings for the valve cover from STM on Sunday so hopefully they show up in a few days.

Since the car had sat outside for the last four years I am in the middle of tearing out the old stock fuel lines (rusty and brittle) to replace with a new set. i am thinking of using the STM -6AN feed and return kits. Any comments on this idea?

I will get more pics this week but here are two pics of the engine/trans at this moment in time! Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 193
Just a quick update, I ordered my fuel feed line kit from STM (-6AN tank to rail) last weekend and hopefully it will show up by this weekend so I can get it installed. Also purchased the SS master cylinder to slave cylinder clutch line and some gaskets. Still have to purchase my cylinder head but thats my next purchase to be made.

Spent last weekend at MOD in bloomington/normal and Import Face off in STL. These two events have gotten my motivation levels up quite a bit, LOL.

Theres a few parts that im going to have to start hunting for and these include:
OEM power steering cooler
Bracket for the 90 Oil cooler (bolts the cooler to the frame)
power steering fluid resevoir
EVAP Canister
and a bunch of items that I am going to purchase new.

Been sometime since my last update. I have come across quite a few more parts and gotten alot more done to the Talon. Should actually be starting it up this week!

Picked up a decently built cylinder head from a fellow DSMer here in the midwest who was in need of some money and it has not been installed before my engine:

6 bolt head:
MAP Nitride coated valves
MAP beehive springs and TI retainers
Revised Lifters
Kelford 272 cams
Oil port MOD
Decked Surface
SCE Titan headgasket

ProSport Gauges:
Wide band, digital EVO style
EGT, digital EVO style

Built4g63.com SS o2 housing, picked up BNIB for $4
STM 6AN fuel feed kit w/ Green fuel lab filter
Valve cover fittings for 6AN catch can
2g MAF
Gates racing BLUE timing belt kit w/ new pulleys and tensioner
Torque Solutions solid driveshaft carrier bushings
Punishment FMIC kit w/ OEM BOV

I will post more pics of the install this weekend and hopefully she will fire up for the first time here in the next couple days. Would have happened this past weekend but i forgot to order my ARP's, so they are on their way now. Along with some gaskets and a mishimoto coolant cap!

Some pics:

Attachments

• IMAG0325.jpg
    IMAG0325.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMAG0324.jpg
    IMAG0324.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMAG0323.jpg
    IMAG0323.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMAG0318.jpg
    IMAG0318.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMAG0278.jpg
    IMAG0278.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMAG0327.jpg
    IMAG0327.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 173
  • IMAG0326.jpg
    IMAG0326.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMAG0312.jpg
    IMAG0312.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 175
Quick update, car runs and theres no leaks or anything (woot woot). however the idle is a little rough due to the cams. Going to be ordering DSMLink as soon as I can and get this thing tuned. Next step is Painting the beast.

Ill try to get some pics up this weekend!

Got a hell of a deal on a like new TRE stgII trans and a clutch masters FX5 clutch so ive swapped them in. Need to get some brakes going on the beast and take it for the first test drive since starting the project nearly a year ago. Also picked up a recenly rebuilt HX35 that I hope to install this coming racing season.

Thanks for browsing.
Travis

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back