The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

92 Tsi restobuild and finally doing it right.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Very nice work! Love the wrinkle black and black engine bay!
Thanks man it took a lot of elbow grease to get it done but I like the way it turned out, was considering an accent color for some parts but i felt like it would make the bay look too busy

Current Updates:

Thee are a few odds and ends that I am still sorting and the list of things to do include

1. Tape of cam angle sensor wheel for AEM-4 12-1 crank cam setup
2. Rewire fuel pump relay to run of GPIO on the ems
3. Fabricate new mounting plate for fuse panel and misc relays
4. Fill and replace all fluids
5. Upload cal file to ems and hopefully get this pig started for the first time since 2009

Got the new mounting plate for the fuse panel made last night and it fits pretty well. Tried to tuck it up under the dash as best as possible while still being able to access the fuses when needed.
IMG_6540.JPG

I also moved the usb connector for the EMS-4 to up on the dash on the passenger side for easy tuning access. The only thing that I don't like about the universal harness for the EMS-4 is that the usb connection port cable is only about 1.5 feet long. The cable barely made it to the mounting point that I drilled in the dash.
IMG_6544.JPG
IMG_6543.JPG

This is the switch control panel mounted in the stock radio location, I dont really like the gap under it and I might make a new aluminum panel for it.
IMG_6546.JPG

The thumbnails show the dash and the rest of the console, with the plates mocked to fill the empty holes, going to spray them flat black until i figure out a more permanent gauge solution.

Attachments

• IMG_6536.JPG
    IMG_6536.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6541.JPG
    IMG_6541.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6547.JPG
    IMG_6547.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_6545.JPG
    IMG_6545.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6548.JPG
    IMG_6548.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 143
I made some more progress on the Talon. I plasti-dipped the aluminum filler panels in the dash and i think they look way better now. Installed a ground switch for the GPIO on the car that will prompted the EMS-4 to start logging, and also installed a small indicator light that activates with the same switch. The EMS has been updated and the 1st start cal file is uplaoded. It cranks and I just need to log the trigger events to make sure the timing is set up correctly before I try to fire it up. I ran into a small problem with the starter but made some 2 gauge ground straps for the motor ad the transmission that should keep everything happy. Last issue is I filled up the engine with fluids and I have a small coolant leak coming from the water line that goes to the turbo from the coolant pipe in the front of the motor. I am running an npt to an adapter and its leaking on the pipe side. I am going try some thread tape but the big ass compressor housing is in the way and i think that the turbo is going to have to come off before anything.
IMG_8088.JPG
IMG_8089.JPG

Yeah it's from quickcar. It was relatively cheap but definitely a high quality item. It worked well with the Speedway racing chassis wiring kit. The car basically has no stock wiring left. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Currently the list of things to do are minor but need to be done before the car is road worthy. I am currently debating on painting the rays wheels black or gold. What do you guys think?

If it is still White, I would do black wheels but its all about what YOU like :thumb:
Your switch panel is very trick, my son had me make one for his DSM for his nitrous and transmission cooling fan with LED's to indicate that they were on or not. For the price, that panel is super nice.

A lot of people are saying to go black. The tires came in the other day so I have been itching to get it all put back on. Tired of seeing the car sit on the 3rd gen wheels that i had on just to roll the car around on. I do plan on putting a small shot of nitrous on the car at some point!

Last night I installed the front Stoptech calipers and the lines. Still need to bleed the whole system, but thats going to require some help. finished up the battery tie down for the battery box and also gave some old bride seats that were showing some sun fading new life.
IMG_8138.JPG
IMG_8139.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8140.JPG
    IMG_8140.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 98
The lighting doesnt do them justice but i needed something super bright in the garage while using the fabric paint to ensure no streaking.

Slowly but surely the car is still making some progress. I rewired the power window motors in the car(only creature comfort haha) so its nice to be able to roll those up and down finally. I tucked the wires and installed the door cards. seats are in as well. I also decided to go black with the wheels, I still have to paint the inside of the wheels but here is the progress so far.
IMG_8145.JPG
IMG_8146.JPG
IMG_8147.JPG
IMG_8148.JPG
IMG_8149.JPG
IMG_8150.JPG
IMG_8151.JPG

So the car has finally made it to ET Tuning here in Missouri. Unfortunately the Drop Engineering motor mounts were falling apart and were not going to last. I wasnt going to risk it and niether was the shop. Scored some black Prothane motor mounts inserts on Amazon. Since the car is already there they are going to throw them in and then its time to make some jam.
image_123986672.JPG

Forgot to add these pics of the 4in intake and 10in filter installed on the car. Decided that it would probably not be too cool if I sucked up some debris into the turbo.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Quick update. So the car had a weak spark issue and I was running a 300m coil on plug setup. I ditched the cop and went with a wasted spark setup like the factory but with a SDS ignition control box and some after market coils and some msd wires. I dont like the way it looks but funtion > form at this point. The new setup solved the issue right away. Then we ran into an issue with timing drifting and being irratic. I was running an aftermarket trigger wheel just for the cam sensor. I have the Kiggly 12 tooth crank setup so it sees a 24:1 in Aem. Ditched the aftermarket wheel and went with the old aluminum tape over the large hole for the cam trigger wheel. Reinstalled and problem solved. With this many aftermarket parts going on this build at one time there was bound to be some issues. Hopefully it is smooth sailing from here. Car is already strapped down and on the rollers. Dyno video and official numbers to follow soon!

Ran into another issue today. One of the 850cc injectors was bad and not closing all the way basically leaking the whole time. Causing a misfire issue. Talked to Fuel Injector Clinic and I ordered a new set of 1220cc injectors. They are going to clean repair and flow test the old set for free and when I get them back they will be up for grabs at a low price. PM me for details

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back