The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

92 Tsi restobuild and finally doing it right.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copenhagen6123

Proven Member
Jun 25, 2015
Winfield, Missouri
So I finally thought I should post some updates regarding the build that is now going on for the better part of a decade. I bought a 92 Talon Tsi AWD in 2006. I was 21 and this was my second DSM. (First was a 94 Laser FWD NT swapped to a 16g) I did some basic mods to the AWD beast and broke some teeth off second gear and sent them through the bottom of the case. The car sat for a while and a mini build was in the works. I bought a Shep Stage 4 threw it in and then had an unfortunate oil pump failure leading the car to sit untouched for till August of last year. Let the resurrection begin!
talon1.jpg
talon2.jpg
talon3.jpg

I stripped the whole car down to the chassis and removed the chassis and engine wiring harness. Suspension removed down to the subframe and steering leaving a blank canvas. I didn't remove the glass.

The engine bay had collected around 24 years of dirt and grime and oil and it took forever to get clean. I used scrubbing bubbles and engine de-greaser and brake cleaner and alcohol (some alcohol was for me). After it was clean I came back and wet sanded the whole thing and then had to bust out the grinder to take care of some some rust areas. It was just surface rust do to the battery spilling in the usual areas. Then it was on to prep for paint.
IMG_4238.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_4243.JPG
IMG_4244.JPG
IMG_4245.JPG
IMG_4246.JPG

Lets hit it with some primer. I decided to change the color scheme a little and went with black to hopefully hide some of the dirt in between detailing the car.

IMG_4248.JPG
IMG_4249.JPG
IMG_4250.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG
Came back with three coats of gloss and three coats of clear. I think it came out good.

IMG_4255.JPG
IMG_4256.JPG

During the process I also switched over to a manual rack for a cleaner look in the bay and because I have no plans of road racing the car. I cleaned and greased the rack and installed new tie rods and boots. The subframe also received the same treatment as the bay. I went with all new subframe bushings from energy suspension and new swaybar links to finish it all up.

On to the engine build! So the motor needed a little refresh from head to toe. These are all installed parts so far

Top End:

HKS valve springs
HKS retainers
Oem valve guides and seals
HKS 264 intake cam
HKS 272 exhaust cam
Si 1mm oversized valves
Greddy timing belt
Oem new tensioner
Refinished valve cover

Bottom end:

2.3l Stroker
BSEK
Eagle 4g64 crank
Eagle h-beam rods
Wisco 9.0 pistons
ACL main bearings
ACL rod bearings
ARP main studs
ARP

Transmission and drivetrain:
Shep Stage 4
Act light weight flywheel
Act 2600 with street disk
Oem axles
New Oem Clutch master cylinder and res

Misc:
New oem brake master res
New stainless hardware from allenfastensers.com in any spot it makes sense

Bolt ons:

300m cop setup with AEM 4 channel coil driver
Jays racing alternator relocation kit
S90 70mm throttle body (stock 1g intake manifold port matched)
EGR delete
Drop Engineering motor mounts
Fluidyne radiator
rebuilt rad mounts with mustang sway bar link bushings (hopefully the car doesn't try to hit people now)

There are a lot of components sitting in the garage waiting to go on just working on a few more suspension components and wiring the engine up with a brand new AEM EMS-4 96" harness.

Picture 018.jpg
Picture 019.jpg
Picture 020.jpg
Picture 021.jpg
Picture 022.jpg
Picture 023.jpg
Picture 024.jpg
Picture 025.jpg
Picture 026.jpg
Picture 027.jpg
Picture 028.jpg
Picture 029.jpg
Picture 030.jpg
Picture 031.jpg
Picture 032.jpg
Picture 033.jpg
Picture 034.jpg
Picture 035.jpg
Picture 036.jpg
Picture 040.jpg
Picture 041.jpg
Picture 042.jpg
Picture 043.jpg
Picture 044.jpg
Picture 045.jpg

Been doing a lot lately and the wiring is coming along slowly but surely. I have to source some connectors for a few items to put on the AEM harness. The turbo came in and I started mocking up the rest of the charge pipes. There is still a long list of things to do:

Finish fuel sytem
Finish engine and chassis wiring harnesses
Weld up coolant pipe for heater delete
Install front suspension and drivetrain.

There are more odds and ends that are on a longer list but the deadline will be mid June to make it to Import Alliance in Kentucky and of course the Shootout!!!

Picture 012.jpg
Picture 013.jpg
Picture 014.jpg

Thanks guys. I was able to get a few more things done over the weekend. I installed a fuel lab fpr and all stainless lines with -6AN fittings. I also snagged some some connectors off a graveyard special, and found a second LSD rear end when mine grenades. I also found out today that one of my friends dad has a mint 93 TSI AWD with less than 80k on it and no mods. Its the cleanest stock interior I have ever seen.

Haven't had a lot of time to update this and the car has been on hold for a bit due to moving and changing jobs.

Vacuum lines routed and turbo setup all installed.

Need to finish with the clamps for the IC piping. I getting close to to the finish and hopefully get it started soon!

So outside of the clamps for the radiator hoses, a breather filter for the catch can, and making sure the tps is set right, the engine bay is done for now

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back