The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

92 Talon with a goal to go fast.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xethur

Probationary Member
Apr 21, 2012
erie, Pennsylvania
quick stats. 92 84k miles with no rust. Its a TSI so turbo and awd and a 5 speed to boot. I posted pictures on Photobucket. Since I'm on my tablet I can't seem post pictures directly to the thread so I'll post the link.
Pictures by xethur23 - Photobucket
The car was fairly unmolested when I bought it but I have fixed a few issues so far. I removed the glow shift boost gauge. It was mounted right behind the steering wheel and the 7 different color LEDs were just to much for me. I mounted a proper autometer boost gauge on the left side of the dash. Still waiting on a pod for that. I unrouted the MBC that wasn't actually hooked up. Someone ran a line into the cabin and hooked one side of of a $10 ebay MBC. I pulled the sub and amp out of the trunk and rewired the rear speakers. I don't have enough trunk space at it is. At least the stereo and speakers are name brand and wired in correctly. The 12v outlet was rusted so I pulled that out and used the stock wires to hook up a 3 way out let in the glove box. I'll take pictures of that when I have a chance. Added cup holders seeing as I wanted both an arm rest and cup holders.

So onto the good stuff. I decided to keep the 3" exhaust but PA requires emissions so I bought a 3" in/out catco cat and a 3" thursh muffler and had an exhaust shop weld them in. Once again I'll take pictures soon. The 3" nets me 14 PSI of boost which is fine with me. I've been fighting an idle problem that I have narrowed down to the FIAV at this time. When I get a chance I'll get in there and block that off and clean the intake / TB. I blocked off the EGR in my trouble shooting of idle. I used two nickels and RTV so the EGR looks unmolested and I'm plan to leave it that way. Since the exhuast ended up being too loud (big surprise) I added some sound deadening, well actually it is roofing material. To dispelled some myths, it does not melt and run and it sticks well. I was actually using a lighter to heat sections to make them stick better. Like you can do with duck / electrical tape. I'm still waiting on more sound deadening material from summit but so far just the roofing material has made it much less annoying to drive.

I have a long list of plans for the car but I'll get into those next post. Any questions are welcome.

So I promised to talk about upgrades. My goal is 300-350 HP. That's enough that I'll be able to eat most V8s but not enough to make her undrivable. From the lurking / research I have done I plan on a 16g and 272 cams. Yes there is a whole list of supporting mods involved with the 16g, so I'm looking at 650 injectors, 255LPH fuel pump, intercooler, MBC, fuel cell, wide band A/F gauge, and tuning tools. I've been looking at DSMLink. Does anyone have a option on a good link / tuner? If that isn't enough I'll start looking at ported heads with valve work and a rebuild with forged internals and higher compression. Little things will come and go so I wont list them. Like my magnetic phone holder / charger or the radar detector. My go fast goal will not change. I have been waiting a decade and actively trying to build a fast car for the last 5 years.

th_TalonRear.jpg

th_CIMG0008.jpg

Last edited:
I actually have quite a bit to post. The most interesting is the shifter upgrades. I couldn't handle the sloppy shifts anymore. I was actually starting to wonder if I knew how to handle a stick shift. Then I found Mach V and the bushing kits. Installed the bushing on the shifter and the difference was night and day. I didn't take pictures but the link below show a typical install. The next day I put the bearing bushing thingys on the end of the cables. I didn't really notice a difference with those installed but I guess they can't hurt. I while back I also ordered a pool ball (#2) drilled and tapped for my shifter. They were reasonably priced on ebay and it gives the shifter a much better feel over that enormous stock shift knob. I've never cared much for handle style shifters.

Symborski Shifter Kit Install

Mach V Shifter Cable Bearing Install Help

So foglights / running lights. I had planned to use them as daytime running lights. The car came with HIDs installed. I hate running those because they are bright, annoying, and considered ricey. I was going to revert to stock but those HIDs are pretty awesome at night. So I set about fiddling with my foglights only to realize the driver side light blocks the air duct for the intercooler. So out they came. To make a long story short, I ended up buying some cheap LED running lights off ebay. I wired them to the park / turn signal lights so they come on with the tail lights. They also blink in opposition to the turn signals and hazards. You can see pictures of the mod on my Photobucket in my signature. If anyone has any questions about the install please PM me. I think they turned out perfect they can be seen from a distance but can't be seen when standing next to the car.

I've done a lot of regular car maintenance because it's a new to me car and in prep for my road trip to VA and then Maine. I won't bore you with the details on all that.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back