The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Street Build 92 GSX Daily Driver Budget Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheeJarod

Probationary Member
Sep 7, 2016
Arlington, Washington
Figured it was about time to make a build thread, as its been a rollercoaster through and through. I guess we can start with a little background, My names Jarod, im a 20 year old college student who works part time. Bought my first DSM this past year, after i got tired of my '84 4runner.

I got lucky and found this two owner 135k mile 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, in metallic blue. Picked it up for $3800
20160909_211216_resized.jpg

The previous owner had the car for 16 years, always garage kept, it was his weekend autocross car. Has all the normal 1G mods, Evo 3 16g, ARP studs, Forged pistons, ect. and with being an autocross car, not a single suspension component wasn't replaced with a top tier aftermarket component.

Now comes the more interesting part, the first breakage. A few days after i had the car, the headgasket blew.
IMG_20160907_171930.png

I loaded up the head and took it to a local machine shop, who wouldn't resurface it due to not enough material. CRAP! So i purchased a Ported/Polished head from a member through the forums classifieds. As it being my first timing belt car, i was in over my head, and with school and work i decided to take it to a shop. I needed a vehicle so i just put the old head back on until i could get an MLS gasket. All was well. For now.....

After getting the car back, i enjoyed it for 3 or so weeks, driving it every moment i could. I fell in love with the car, I had DSM fever. It was good while it lasted, until i was struck down by my one true fear...... Balance shafts. The car had been acting funny, but nothing major, no big deal. Until one day after class i got back into it, and it wouldnt start. CRAP! I opened the hood, and this is what i found.
20161119_112600_resized.jpg

My timing belt was ripped to shreds, but still didn't skip any teeth (Thanks Gates). I was livid, thought the shop had screwed up. Took it there for them to inspect, and low and behold. the rear balance shaft bearing had siezed. you could tell by the black spot on the block where the heat had cooked the paint away. Brought the car home, and instantly tore into it, got the motor and tranny out in two days. I didn't know what i was going to find inside the motor. This is what i found.
20161214_151023_resized.jpg

Main bearings were completely Toasted, my worst fear. Time for a complete rebuild....

After a few weeks of calls, and trying to find a reputable shop. I settled on Action Machine in Shoreline WA.(I would highly recommend them) dropped the motor off, with the new set of kiggly beehives, and had them get me a quote. I settled on a mild build, Since the crank was almost perfect, i opted not to do the stroker kit. Engine got bored over, 5 angle valve job, Mahle pistons, K1 rods, Balance shaft delete, inspected and cleaned everything.
20170409_183751_resized.jpg
20170409_193401_resized.jpg

Now i was good to go right? Wrong... The transmission would occasionally grind in 1st gear, so i figured id throw some new syncros in it, not a big deal? right? WRONG Again... after busting into it i realized i was over my head, didn't have the time nor the expertise to do it correctly. I was greeted by this wonderful site inside aswell.
IMG_20170518_141250.png

So yet again I needed to enlist the help of some experts, did some research and decided i would send out my clusters to Jacks Transmission. They were incredibly helpful and did an absolutely amazing job on the gear cluster build. And this is where the story catches up to present day, right now im at a point where i need to buy quite a few parts to finish the job. so far i have these on my list to finish my build.

Dsm link v3
Fluidampr Balancer
Southbend Clutch Kit
Innovate LC2 wideband

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back