The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

91 TSi AWD that needs a lot of love

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMG_20160507_134504982.jpg
This is how she sits for now. Getting ready to do some body work for the first time, stripping it down.

Last edited:
IMG_20160417_201936630.jpg
Surprise left by a previous owner, broken studs on gas tank, broken fuel line on hanger, and 3 self tappers holding the sender into the tank. Looks like it's fuel cell time.

Last edited:
IMG_20160504_203833433.jpg
Another surprise, went to press the passenger side hub into the new bearing, and it just fell in. One of the previous owners decided to do some grinding on it so it would go in easier. :mad::idontknow:

Last edited:
IMG_20160510_212344220.jpg
Stripped the firewall of all accessories, brakes, slave cylinder, etc. More broken bolts to drill out tomorrow. I'm planning on painting the engine bay the same color as the car. When I'm done painting, everything under the hood, with small bolts, are getting stainless bolts with antiseize.

Last edited:
Finished up stripping the fuse box harness out of the engine bay. Removed the steering column, and subframe. Now she sits on jack-stands. Started to remove the plastic ground effects, and found a nice hole on my "rust-free" shell. If anybody has any tips on how to fix this let me know.
IMG_20160513_192849490.jpg
IMG_20160513_211841474.jpg

Started to tackle the little rust spot on the passenger rear corner last night. I used a harbor freight spot weld cutter, 3" cutoff wheel on and a air body saw.
Before:
upload_2016-5-20_10-7-18.png

After metal was removed:
upload_2016-5-20_10-9-17.png

Cleaned up the area a little bit:
upload_2016-5-20_10-10-28.png

Purchased a 2'x3' piece of 22 gauge from a local body supply shop. Cut a piece out larger than the area needed, bent the 90 degree bend in my vise. Trimmed the piece a few more times and ended up with this:
upload_2016-5-20_10-14-19.png

Supposed to rain the next couple days, so I'll have to wait to tack weld it on and finish it.
upload_2016-5-20_10-7-18.png
upload_2016-5-20_10-9-17.png
upload_2016-5-20_10-10-28.png
upload_2016-5-20_10-14-19.png

Been pretty busy with family events and birthdays lately, so I haven't got much accomplished on the car lately. I did pick up some Evaporust, and soaked some rusty parts in it. I was amazed at how well it worked, I'll post some pics soon. I did pick up a nice used paint gun in trade for my super AFC.
upload_2016-6-2_8-43-31.png

Last night I picked up another gallon on Evaporust so I could submerge my steering knuckle completely. While I was at the parts store, I picked up a couple cans of VHT satin black epoxy spray paint and some wax and grease remover. Painted the intermediate shaft and 1 front hub so far. Will post pics later.

Heres the knuckle after soaking in evaporust for almost 24 hrs. Cleaned it up and painted with VHT epoxy paint. Will post finished pic later.
IMG_20160603_182625481.jpg

Been busy with getting ready for my wedding next month, so I haven't made much progress lately. I have still been getting my never ending parts list together and buying a few things here and there. Work has been picking up with the heat, so I'm getting more OT. These came in yesterday, new eccentric bolts for the rear sub-frame.
upload_2016-6-22_14-0-34.png

My sub-frames have been at the sand-blasters all week, I'll be picking them up Friday. My next step is steam power washing the underside of the body and undercoating it with POR15.

Survived the wedding, time to get things started again. Need to finish cleaning up the underbody so I can paint it. My goal is to have it a roller by the time winter arrives.

Have all new urethane suspension bushings, front and rear ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, Tein springs, KYB AGX struts, 3SX adjustable rear upper control arms, Jay racing active toe eliminator kit, and new rear wheel bearings and seals. Still need to get solid rear subframe bushings, but can't seem to get ahold of Bulfab. Also, I will be installing a 3000GT VR4 rear diff to beef things up for my future endeavors.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back