The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G 91 Talon TSI First time buyer tips?/halp!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AceMemphis

Probationary Member
Sep 19, 2014
victoria, BC_Canada
Hello fellow chums!

First time buyer (i hope) of a 91 Eagle Talon TSI AWD.
I've done some research, pricing comparisons, and a LOT of searching to finally come into contact with an add for a beautiful 91 Talon. I've come to the conclusion that there is a wide range for value.

A bit about the car in question:
1991 TSI AWD Manual
150,000 KM (I live in BC, West coast)
Pictures confirm interior and exterior is in good condition.
Full Dealer documents and service history.
All power features (im told) are in working order.
Car comes completely STOCK. No upgrades or mods.
Up for sale since Begining of September.
1 price drop from $4K.
Asking Price is $3900 OBO.

I have set up a viewing, but I am having a tough time finding out what I should be looking for.
I hear the Timing belts and tensioner need replacing around 100,000km.
Pedal assembly/clutch stuff suck on the 1g's.
And other than the basic rust check and test drive, I really have no idea what I'm getting into.

So I put it to the professionals (that's you) to gain more information about what pitfalls await me.
What things should I be paying close attention to?
What are some good signs telling me if this car is sound motor or not?
Is the value and asking price within reason? If not, then what is?
What is your personal opinion/take on the add?
And any other info that will help me in making the correct decision.

I have definitely made my mind up about owning a Talon. I love the efficiency of power and price. I love that it takes well to upgrades and has HUGE aftermarket support if anything needs replacing.

So let me know what you think! I dream of the day where I can be sucked back into my seat and just listen to the turbo spool up and take me away.

us money $4000 would be an ok but $3500 would be a good buy with no pictures I cant tell but if their is no rust and the paint is nice I would pay $4000 because its stock and its a 6 bolt I would go for 89-92 1/2 and below.
remember just do alot of maintenance before mods

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back