The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

91 Talon, cheap 11s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexaroo

Proven Member
Dec 3, 2014
Fort Collins, Colorado
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 91 Talon. The good, it came with a Strictly Performance head. The bad, everything else.

Didn't run at the time, eBay parts galore on it (turbo, intercooler, exhaust manifold, 02 housing), random transmission with a cracked bell housing, timing was off, electrical issues, leaking oil everywhere.

It has turned into even more of a project than I had anticipated. This was supposed to be my "cheap" speed 1/4 mile race car. However, I am excited for the initial completion to get it up and running hopefully hitting 11s at the track this year. My ultimate goal is s 10 second car for 10k, just not sure if that will actually happen...

I'm off to a good start with massive help from the local DSM crowd. Current plan is to fix the little things and get it up and running. It's been a slow process, but that just makes it better at the end, right?

The current configuration of ugly and the future turbo.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 237
Bought the fuel pump (walbro 450) before I even picked up the car. Cause responsibility!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 117
Putting the forward facing oil filter on.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 174
Lots of parts ripped off.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 204
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Yeah, that's a common problem with DSMs. You get a lot of young guys that screw these cars up then need to unload them onto someone else so they lie about what the car has and what's wrong with it. I had the exact same mindset as you when I got back into DSMs last November. Turns out the crank and bearings were screwed and the guy put on a completely wrong head gasket that would have caused catastrophic engine failure. Oh well, just take your time with it and enjoy the ride.

Same boat here. Got a good body car with some quirks and a funky electrical system to sort out. Good thing I have nothing but time for it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had dreams of instant reliable speed. Rather unfortunate it happens to multiple people. However, I am encouraged by the amount of well built cars in this forum that are running very well.

A pic of the orange frame.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
ACT 2600 clutch (pressure plate for free! Mad props to local guys). It actually did have a new clutch in it from AP Racing in it, but it was only rated to 320lb/ft.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 105
Change that throw out bearing, unlike the guy I bought mine off of

Is the car fwd or awd? Fill out your profile so we can see ;). If it's awd that solid Hub disk isn't a good idea. I run one with my fwd drag car and love it ;). Keep at it bro it will all come back together for ya! You really should be using new oem bolts for the pp and flywheel. Did you resurface the flywheel or pp? How did they look?

Looking better already. I picked up my '91 two weeks after last years shootout for $800 and was told a big bunch of lies on why all the good stuff that was on the car had been taken off and why it was being sold so cheap.

I think your goal of a 10s car for $10k isn't far fetched at all. As long as the money is being spent strictly for performance and the correct suspension for the track it's doable. Luckily my car already has completely adjustable suspension the whole way around including the control arms.

Any other particular goals as far as trap speed or 60' time?

Change that throw out bearing, unlike the guy I bought mine off of

I did actually. Was recommended by one of the guys out here, so I put in a OEM throw out bearing in. Appreciate the heads up though.

Is the car fwd or awd? Fill out your profile so we can see ;). If it's awd that solid Hub disk isn't a good idea. I run one with my fwd drag car and love it ;). Keep at it bro it will all come back together for ya! You really should be using new oem bolts for the pp and flywheel. Did you resurface the flywheel or pp? How did they look?

AWD, why is the solid 6 puck a bad idea? To much drivetrain shock?

Didn't resurface anything. Admittedly, I was dubious about it, but the pp had less than 5k on it and the flywheel was resurfaced with the new clutch which showed hardly any wear. Hoping I'll luck out with it. Hmmm didn't use new bolts either... Next time.

So far money is just going into go fast parts. My biggest two issues are going to be the transmission and a built bottom end. I have no desire to blow anything up, so the plan is stock bottom end but limit power to about 450whp and do a bunch of shake down passes.

Suspension I'm torn between coilovers or just struts (it came with lowering springs). I love properly setup coilovers, but they are significantly more expensive.

Mystery transmission is out. I purchased a used 91 transmission from a local guy for $150, only issue is, not sure if it works. Hoping to have it in in the next week or two with a running car to test. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    490.8 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 128
Also just saw a 92 Tsi with a shattered trans and destroyed basically everything on the passenger's side engine compartment. The flywheel broke and grenaded. I'm now sold on shatter shields.

FP Exhaust manifold with new studs (8 bucks from advanced!) and Holset HX35 BEP housing. Both ceramic coated (all black everything).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 183
Lol truly. Unfortunately, I only lived around the block which is when we noticed the eBay 20g was toast.

And I won't mention how much time it's taken to get to this point... Think I've had the car for three months. Slow and steady.

Mystery transmission is out. I purchased a used 91 transmission from a local guy for $150, only issue is, not sure if it works. Hoping to have it in in the next week or two with a running car to test. Fingers crossed!
Take it to a local trans shop and explain your story. They'll most likely throw it on the dyno for $40 or maybe even for free. Then you'll know and not have to drop your trans again. If it needs rebuilding and you have them do it they probably wont even charge you for the diagnosis.

Also for allll your exhaust stuff. Use NICKEL Anti-seize. Its like $7 for the permatex stuff. BUY IT. Saved my butt sooo many times the stuff is magic.

Whaa? Properly set up stock dsm's should run low 13's. If you have any mods and arent running 12's, you're doing it wrong.
Not in Colorado with an 8500' density altitude it doesn't ;)

This run was on my 14b, 21psi, e85, about 280 WHP. It's not easy going fast up here, just ask the C5 that was next to me. ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back