The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

90 Talon Weekend Warrior. Tucked Everything, HTA68 + N20

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how are you liking the HTA 86 im trying to get ahold of one of these of a 3065 if i can

I absolutely love it! Spool up is a tad on the slow side, but there are a few things to consider.

I'm on a tired stock bottom end with only 125-130psi of compression.
I'm running FP4R cams, and the Magnus Cast intake manifold.

I'm sure those are hindering my spool up a little bit, but I'm still able to hit 35psi at right around 5k.

I'm letting out at 8500 for the time being because of the stock bottom end, but on the dyno graph it just keeps pulling and pulling and you can tell it has much more left.

Once I build the bottom end I plan on taking it up to 9000 at least. I couldn't be happier with the turbo's performance, and its still a bolt-on turbo.

I absolutely love it! Spool up is a tad on the slow side, but there are a few things to consider.

I'm on a tired stock bottom end with only 125-130psi of compression.
I'm running FP4R cams, and the Magnus Cast intake manifold.

I'm sure those are hindering my spool up a little bit, but I'm still able to hit 35psi at right around 5k.

I'm letting out at 8500 for the time being because of the stock bottom end, but on the dyno graph it just keeps pulling and pulling and you can tell it has much more left.

Once I build the bottom end I plan on taking it up to 9000 at least. I couldn't be happier with the turbo's performance, and its still a bolt-on turbo.

Oh crap your on stock bottom end huh? Yeah i think it would do nicely for me, i have about 200psi compression across the board on a 2.0 9.2:1 with 5k miles and 272 cams. I'm really sick of my scm6152Rs i get 24psi at about the same point but i am very limited on the dsm housing. Once i scramble up the funds or sell my current turbo i will have one of these gorgeous snails as well! Do you have any vids of pulls with it? I don't even care about lag im so used to it already and its all worth it for a killer top end, gas tank doesnt seem to like it as much though. I bet with my setup id hit 35psi by 4300... looking at those pictures gets me very excited. I still need to put in some springs and retainers before i go past 7k. I've heard nothing good about the FP30 seires hot side. or FP35 in this case. :) my turbo currently is almost the same turbo 3586R but with a way worse hot side and built by a very unreliable company.

Your dsm looks amazing i wish it was mine haha

I'm also about to undergo a tranny rebuild. what manual did you use? this will be my first time as well, it doesnt look as hard as it sounds i think.. i just had my trans off like i said earlier and its all buttoned up right now but my damn noises are still there so im probably off for a jacks rebuild myself. id kinda like a 4 spyder though

Oh crap your on stock bottom end huh? Yeah i think it would do nicely for me, i have about 200psi compression across the board on a 2.0 9.2:1 with 5k miles and 272 cams. I'm really sick of my scm6152Rs i get 24psi at about the same point but i am very limited on the dsm housing. Once i scramble up the funds or sell my current turbo i will have one of these gorgeous snails as well! Do you have any vids of pulls with it? I don't even care about lag im so used to it already and its all worth it for a killer top end, gas tank doesnt seem to like it as much though. I bet with my setup id hit 35psi by 4300... looking at those pictures gets me very excited. I still need to put in some springs and retainers before i go past 7k. I've heard nothing good about the FP30 seires hot side. or FP35 in this case. :) my turbo currently is almost the same turbo 3586R but with a way worse hot side and built by a very unreliable company.

Your dsm looks amazing i wish it was mine haha

I'm also about to undergo a tranny rebuild. what manual did you use? this will be my first time as well, it doesnt look as hard as it sounds i think.. i just had my trans off like i said earlier and its all buttoned up right now but my damn noises are still there so im probably off for a jacks rebuild myself. id kinda like a 4 spyder though

We used the factory Mitsubishi Transmission Manual, and used end-play and pre-load specifications recommended by Tim Zimmer. My friend was responsible for the entire transmission build, he said it wasn't extremely difficult, but it does take a lot of time, and requires a few special tools.

And yes, I too loathe PTE turbo's I used to have an SCM5031 that made good power but rarely lasted over 5,000 mile before needing a rebuild.

Here are a few videos I have, this was when the car was untuned making 475whp. First link I'm racing a buddys 6 bolt 2g w/HX35. I knew I was gonna get him pretty bad so I gave him the jump and didn't do any brake boosting, it would have been much worse.

Second video I'm racing a 500whp turbo 5.0 notchback mustang. My buddy had an issue with my go-pro so it cuts out when we go into 4th. We stayed side-by-side for the remainder

Race Warz Kyle - YouTube - HX35 2g

GOPR8776 - YouTube - HX40 Notchback

where did you get the parts for the tranny? what kind of build is it? and can you tell me where i can find a manual on how to rebuild these trannys? ive been looking everywhere and im not having any luck. im trying to learn how to do it. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

sorry i just read the last post you guys made, but where can i find the manual. can i download it or order it??????

Wow that thing freaking pulls so hard.. And how much boost and gas we're you on? Any logs?

Alex

Those runs were on 30psi and pump gas. When she's running again I'll save some logs and post them.

where did you get the parts for the tranny? what kind of build is it? and can you tell me where i can find a manual on how to rebuild these trannys? ive been looking everywhere and im not having any luck. im trying to learn how to do it. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

sorry i just read the last post you guys made, but where can i find the manual. can i download it or order it??????

I have a hard copy of it, which can be found on eBay for about $20 , here is a link.

MITSUBISHI 1992-96 TRANSMISSION SERVICE MANUAL | eBay

Or you can download the PDF file from this link and print it out. (It's about 600 pages if you print the PDF)

http://www.3sx.com/faq/manuals/Service-Manual-Transmission-FWD-Mitsubishi-Manual.pdf

I ordered the "Economy" rebuild kit from Jacks Transmission, in addition to that I purchased new bearings from the input shaft (the kit does not come with these). Upgraded to their custom spec double synchro second, as well as the Evo III double synchro 3rd and 4th gear.

Also, just to make sure I had ZERO clutch engagement issues I ordered an OEM Fork, Fulcrum Ball, and TOB from Jacks. Got a Shep pedal assembly and shifter cable spacers, and an OEM Slave & Master Cylinder. Not taking any chances with this transmission.

Jack's customer service is awesome to say the least, I had several lengthy phone calls with them and they were happy to answer any questions I had, they also shipped my orders the same day I placed the order on both occasions. Great people!

Can you post up some dyno graphs of your setup with the dsm86.

I'm really contemplating getting this turbo, but I'm scared it won't keep up with a stroker motor.

Can you post up some dyno graphs of your setup with the dsm86.

I'm really contemplating getting this turbo, but I'm scared it won't keep up with a stroker motor.

Sure I'll post it when I get home, it's a really crappy pull, it was breaking up on the dyno and we were having issues with my EBC but I'll post it regaurdless.

I don't really think you would have to worry about it not being enough. The turbo flows 75lb/min and the FP35 turbine housing isn't that big of a restriction vs a T3, I think that FP said that it is a small restriction over 650whp.

Here is a picture of the Dyno Graph, and a link to the YouTube video. This was a baseline dyno, and the car was running terrible, it kept mis-firing after about 6,000 RPM which you can see/hear in the video. I tried closing the gaps on the plugs but still had no luck.

I was also having issues with my ECMLink Boost Solenoid, I had the duty cycle backward so the WG was staying open at low boost making my spool-up pretty terrible, hence the low TQ numbers.

I ended up switching to non protruding 8es's and the problem went away.

I haven't been back to the dyno as of late, but just judging by the ability of the car to make 447 AWHP running like doo doo I think it should easily be over 500 now considering how well its running now.

Dyno @ KMS Drift Event - YouTube

7328623504_e851f86742_h.jpg

Last edited:
thanks alot for the info. i do appreciate it. i just had no luck finding that manual. well now that i have it, its time to practice. hopefully i can figure it out. how much was the stuff from jacks? are they good on their prices? unfortunately i cant spend all my money on this thing. ive got a family to take of so i have to becareful of what i spend any extra money on.

LOL what was up with the black talon, misfires? or knock?

Haha, fuel-cut actually. He made 279whp & 280 ft/lbs on stock injectors, it was comical to say the least.

thanks alot for the info. i do appreciate it. i just had no luck finding that manual. well now that i have it, its time to practice. hopefully i can figure it out. how much was the stuff from jacks? are they good on their prices? unfortunately i cant spend all my money on this thing. ive got a family to take of so i have to becareful of what i spend any extra money on.

If you're on a budget they are the guys to go to, their basic economy rebuild is $425-$475 depending on what year transmission you have, and that will come with everything you need short of the 2 bearings for the input shaft.

They told me the kit doesn't come with those bearings because they don't really wear out all that often, but due to not having the proper tools for disassembly both of them came apart while breaking down the trans. If you have the proper tools you should be able to save them, if you can't they are about $60 for both.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that.

I'm just trying to see if the turbo will run out of steam up top on a 2.3. I'd like to run it out to 8500-9k.

Thanks for posting that.

I'm just trying to see if the turbo will run out of steam up top on a 2.3. I'd like to run it out to 8500-9k.

that turbo is the dsm flange version of the GT3586R HTA... it wont run out of steam.. he said its a 75lb a min turbo should be plenty to get you up to at least 700hp

that turbo is the dsm flange version of the GT3586R HTA... it wont run out of steam.. he said its a 75lb a min turbo should be plenty to get you up to at least 700hp

yeah thanks. I know what it is supposed to do.

But I haven't seen dyno graphs of cars being able to hold tq/hp in high rpms (7500-9k) with 2.3. Usually the tq nose dives after 7k.

I know the DSM flange will give me a ton of midrange though.

When do you think, you will be up and running again?

yeah thanks. I know what it is supposed to do.

But I haven't seen dyno graphs of cars being able to hold tq/hp in high rpms (7500-9k) with 2.3. Usually the tq nose dives after 7k.

I know the DSM flange will give me a ton of midrange though.

When do you think, you will be up and running again?

Hopefully be up and running in a week or two, although I don't know how soon I'll be back to the dyno.

That dyno was me lifting at 8500, even with the misfiring issue it was able to maintain torque. Although it may be a slightly different story from the 2.3, but someone smarter than I would have to chime in.

Been a while since I've done anything with the car, been kinda tight on funds lately but we just got our end of year bonus and it was a good one!

First off, upgraded to the close-ratio double synchro Evo 3rd and 4th gear, transmission will be going back in soon, which is the major thing keeping it from running.

But I've also been doing a lot of work with the interior relocating my gauges and WBO2, hiding wires, and just generally cleaning up the inside. As the few of you have seen the car in person, it looks fantastic on the outside, interior, not so much. The car was practically 100% gutted when I got it, had 2 different seats, a dash, and some ratty carpet that's it.

Slowly but surely I've been collecting great condition interior pieces from friends and the forum and I'm almost done. I'm planning on driving the car to the shootout in Ohio so I didn't want the car to look like crap, not to mention without a radio for the long drive from Jacksonville. I put some front door speakers in and a basic Pioneer CD/USB player in along with a good portion of the interior. I even managed to get my hands on the elusive 1g hatch cover! Here are a few shots, I need to get a few misc odd's and ends before I put the front seats and center console in, and I'm driving to Orlando tomorrow to pick up a mint rear interior!

I'm also waiting on my new vent bezel, I've been searching for a triple gauge vent bezel for a long time and they are all discontinued, fortunately I found the freelancer on here that makes them.

It will be nice to finally have an interior as nice as the exterior of the car. I'm going to get the windows tinted soon too, tired of rocking a fish bowl!

Sorry for some of the pictures sucking, the light coming into the garage wasn't working with me.

215K Goin strong!

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

I finished up the interior today short of my gauge bezel that should be here next week, sorry for the horrible quality, guess my Iphone doesn't like taking pictures in low-light settings haha.

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you plan for that transmission to survive that much power with it only being a step up from stock?

Take it easy out of the hole and pray for the best haha.

All I really need is a 4 gear spider, everything else should handle the power just fine.

Last edited:
Awesome interior, where did you get such nice plastics?

Multiple places. I placed a WTB ad on here stating I was looking for really nice plastics and someone about 2 hours from me had an entire rear/trunk interior that was in very good shape that I picked up for $75

The rest came from a friend of mine who had a shell that had been sitting in his garage for about 6 years that had been taken very good care of its entire life and I grabbed it from him for $100 - Seats, Dash, Carpet, Door Panels, and all the other misc front interior pieces.

I got really lucky

Last edited:
Just got my gauge bezel back from glowryder, it looks excellent, and I couldn't be happier with the service provided. It did take a little longer than his 2 week estimate, but he kept me up to date and never left me in the dark so I have no complaints in having to wait a little longer.

I also just got my 1lb weighted shift knob from Extreme PSI, if any of you are looking for a heavily weighted shift knob and are on a budget Extreme PSI is definitely the way to go, it was only $39!

My interior is finally 100% completed, just in time for the Shootout!

photo5-5.jpg

2012-07-24_16-36-54_692.jpg

photo3-10.jpg

photo4-6.jpg

photo11-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! :thumb: Not sure if I missed it, or just forgot, but are you planning on bringing it to the Shootout? If so, that will be cool!:cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back