The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

90 Talon Weekend Warrior. Tucked Everything, HTA68 + N20

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful Car man ive never seen an engine bay look that clean

Thanks guys, it's been a long , expensive road, but totally worth it. The car came out almost exactly as I had in mind, and still have much more to go.

I dynoed the car this past weekend at the KMS Event in Jacksonville FL. Car started blowing out the spark up top but still managed to put down 447awhp and 355 ft/lbs with it breaking up after 7000 RPM. I put some BR8ES's in after the event and she pulls like a dream now. Shes got wayyy more in her, I'm shooting for 550 on the stock bottom end, we'll see if she holds together!

Very nice build, I dont have the time or patience yet to do something that in depth. You must be running the Speed Density setup already, I cant find your MAF sensor in any of your pics and your venting the BOV next to the elbow so you couldnt have the MAF before that without loosing metered air LOL. Oh yeah and Im pretty sure ECMLINK wont control boost unless its in SD mode so thats another clue.

Another thing I noticed, Your passenger side radiator mount up top is either shot or something is pushing pretty hard on that side, its almost rubbing the support there. Been there, done that, still got the radiator with the hole LOL.

Very nice build, I dont have the time or patience yet to do something that in depth. You must be running the Speed Density setup already, I cant find your MAF sensor in any of your pics and your venting the BOV next to the elbow so you couldnt have the MAF before that without loosing metered air LOL. Oh yeah and Im pretty sure ECMLINK wont control boost unless its in SD mode so thats another clue.

Another thing I noticed, Your passenger side radiator mount up top is either shot or something is pushing pretty hard on that side, its almost rubbing the support there. Been there, done that, still got the radiator with the hole LOL.

Yeah I'm running speed density, and you can definitely control boost using the solenoid sold on ECMLinks webpage without being on speed density, just tap into the factory BCS wires and control it through ECMLink.

And the shell came with that aluminum radiator, its tweaked or something, but I'm not concerned with it, if it becomes an issue I'll buy a new one.

Did you use the water/coolent lines on the WG? If you did where did you contect :)
7010506495_aac8097a8d_b.jpg

Did you use the water/coolent lines on the WG? If you did where did you contect :)

No I did not, I made all of my vacuum lines out of -4AN braided hose so it looks deceiving but I thought about it, and if I were to do it, it would go like this.

First of all, you'd have to be running a 90 OF housing, or any OF housing that doesn't use the water cooled oil cooler.

Use a 91-94 water pipe, take the 2"-3" section of hard line that comes off of the pipe closest to the water pump that would normally run to the oil cooler, tap the end of it for 1/8th NPT, buy an 1/8th NPT to -4 AN adapter, and run a line from the WG to that.

Then tap one of the ports on the thermostat housing to 1/8th NPT as well, get another 1/8th NPT to -4 AN adapter for it, then run the second water line from the thermostat housing to the WG.

All done!

The reason I didn't do it is I didn't have a 90 water pipe at the start of the project, so I took a 91-94 water pipe, cut off the hardline near the water pump, and welded over the hole to block it off, so I can't use the method suggested above.

Awesome looking build, you have a nice attention to detail and some very good skills. I'll be putting the FP HTA68 on one of my cars when I get back. Thanks for the deal and I look forward to more updates and dyno numbers. BTW was the coating on the FP manifold from FP? I have one that is "natural" and one that is black and I thought the black one was coated as well.

Josh

I coated the manifold myself. I don't FP had a coating option, you'll have to do it yourself or take it somewhere.

HOLY SANTA CLAUS S***!!!!! you owe me a new pair of underwear LOL. your car is gorgeous.

Thanks for the new phone wallpaper.

Time for an update! Car has been running great after going to a non-protruding spark plug (BR8ES) gapped at .020 , aside from having to replace the plugs every few hundred miles.

Now the worst part of the car is trying to bang gears at 8500 RPM, let me tell you, theres no banging going on, this poor transmission has got to be the crappiest trans I've ever had, I mean it even grinds going into 5th! And sitting still at a light, 50% of the time it grinds going into 1st to take off! It also hinders how fast the car truley is, every gear I have to push the clutch in, let the RPMs drop considerably, then baby it into gear, then spool this monster turbo back up again.

Vic had shown an interest in attempting to rebuild the transmission himself so I did a little reading on JacksTransmissions.com and decided to go with their " Value " rebuild, with the double synchro 2nd gear and am currently waiting for the rebuild kit to show up. I'm still on a tight budget so nothing fancy for now. I can swing $700 for a rebuild w/double 2nd, I can't swing $3000 for a TMZ trans haha.

I have a few spare unknown condition transmissions sitting at the shop so I decided to pull the current one to rebuild, and put in one of the unknowns, figured it couldn't be any worse than the one thats in there. Get the car all buttoned up with the unknown trans, go to back it out of driveway, I cut the wheel to turn, and the car bogs and feels like the brakes are on! Fearing that something in the trans was messed up I pull back into the driveway, put the car on 4 jack stands and let it run in gear, eveyrthing seems normal in 1st and reverse so I let it down, back out again and turn around in the col-de-sac....rear wheels hopping like a MF , this unknown trans has a welded center diff

Anyways, after that disapointment it at least shifts half decent, but still doesn't like high RPMs. I'll update when the rebuild is complete. Here are some photos!

Disassembly

Press2.jpg

Gears.jpg

Cases5.jpg

Guts removed!

All.jpg

Case cleaned up nice!

Cases2.jpg

Cases3.jpg

Cases.jpg

2nd Gear slider , there are supposed to be sharp edges on this, look pretty flat to me LOL. No wonder it won't shift

2nd.png

3rd Gear slider , not as bad as 2nd, but still pretty beat up.

3rd.jpg

Update: For starters prop to JacksTransmissions.com for having excellent customer service and technical advice. I called Jacks to place my order to make sure I'd be getting exactly what I needed, as well as input from them as well. Got the rebuild kit with a few extra components, 3 qts of 2005 EVO MR gear oil , and 3 qts of Redline Heavy Shockproof for the T-case and rear end. My order shipped the same day, with Saturday delivery for no extra charge!

Vic wasted no time getting it together and it went together pretty smoothly, followed Tim Zimmers guide on the Pre-load and Endplay specs when shimming the input and intermediate shaft, so hopefully all is well, we're going to install it tomorrow and start the break in period, cross your fingers!

Vic also mounted my GoPro to do a time-lapse of the trans build, he set it to take a photo every 5 seconds throughout assembly, hes working on editing it right now and I'll post it when its done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml5s6hX300E&feature=youtu.be

Pretty sweet mount IMO haha

photo53.jpg

photo43-1.jpg

Rebuild Kit w/double 2nd - Not really much to it surprisingly.

photo52-1.jpg

Double Synchro Second

photo42.jpg

Assembled Intermediate and Input Shafts

photo24.jpg

Forks and Rails in!

photo22-3.jpg

About to seal her up !

photo51.jpg

Finished Product! We'll see how she shifts tomorrow afternoon!

photo41.jpg

photo3-9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW...great build. any updates

Not too much going on, I've run out of money for the time being and we haven't been working a lot of OT lately. I just got my Shep pedal assembly back in the mail.

I found a nice donar car and got a full clean interior out of it and have been putting that in. (The car was gutted when I got it)

I plan on driving it to the Shootout in August, and taking it to the track as soon as shes running again and I'll post some more updates.

Not too much going on, I've run out of money for the time being and we haven't been working a lot of OT lately. I just got my Shep pedal assembly back in the mail.

I found a nice donar car and got a full clean interior out of it and have been putting that in. (The car was gutted when I got it)

I plan on driving it to the Shootout in August, and taking it to the track as soon as shes running again and I'll post some more updates.

Do you know what hotel you are staying at, I would really like to come check this car out in person.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back