The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved 90 laser wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolf alchemy

Proven Member
Mar 4, 2014
kouts, Indiana
I k ow I shouldn't post here, but all my DSM friends have no clue what's wrong. She cranks beautifully(sounds better than she ever has) I'm quite certain there's fuel being sprayed into the block(checked with q-tip) and there's no spark. I bought a new coil pack and no difference. I was told the cas by auto zone, but the one on the car is in way better condition than the other two I have.(looks to be a year or two old. Approximating). So how can I test my coil pack resistor. Or any one have any ideas?

I forgot to add I already loomed through the no start tech article. And I forgot I had one of those....now to find it.

cas. it sends both cam and crank signal. the spark issue is the crank signal. if it sends no signal you'll get no spark. it also runs the fuel pump. i had the same issue in my 3000gt. turned over great. just no start. had fuel but no spark

I have removed my valve cover so many times. Pretty sure I'll need a new gasket. Lol....I have a Shitty looking old cas I can try...

AutoZone or O'Reilly can check the coils to rule them out also check the ignitor out or power transistor as it is called out as well if all check out then check out the CAS with a multimeter for a signal by connecting ground and signal wires to it while rotating it and verifying changing signals or wavelengths.

I already tried installing brand new coil pack. Don't have a 1.5 volt battery to test resistor box.

I believe so? I tried a second cas, and still no spark at all....maybe try a second ecu since the one in my car needs the caps redone? Also I really don't know how to use this analong volt meter..

this is why i keep back ups for both my cars LOL. caps could be gone. pull the ecu and inspect it and smell it. sounds odd but a bad ecu will have a fishy smell

I know about the smell. Lol. A DSM in a autoyard had a bad ecu....so other than that it was a working car I believe.....unroll it was picked apart body and tire wise.

Well....think I finally found the issue.....
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I did.... XD no clue. Same thing, but....I think.....it was slightly ignighting. Or I flooded the engine....I'll try tomorrow and see what happens.

I already tried installing brand new coil pack. Don't have a 1.5 volt battery to test resistor box.

A 1.5V battery is a AA battery. You would only need this to test the power transistor unit. The resistor box is for the injectors -- completely unrelated to spark.

Have you done the other checks outlined here for no-spark condition: How To Diagnose A No-Start? What are the results of your tests? Does the ECU show any stored codes? Does it light up for 5 seconds like it is supposed to at ignition switch "ON"?

Ecu does light up for 5 seconds like you said. My ecu light never flashes codes. I have to use a analog volt meter or I use my 1glink Palm reader for codes. And yes. I already went through the entire diagnosis no start thread.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back