The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Street Build 87 Mitsubishi Starion 4G64.3 Swap Time

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

He's using a wideblock 4g64 and a dsm uses a narrow block. Internally they are the same but the transmission bolt spacing is wider.

C89 the stock quest trans is pretty weak, I stripped second gear in my 87 conquest with a 12a turbo (I was in second, when I caught traction I stripped all the teeth off second gear). The 88-89 trans is stronger but your 4g64 setup will make a lot more hp/torque. Do you plan on an adapter plate and a different trans?

Nice. I know on my swap I used a 7 bolt 4g64 with a 1G 7 bolt head. What did your 6 bolt come out of? Just curious; I didnt know of many cars that even had those.

mitsubishi_engines.gif

He's using a wideblock 4g64 and a dsm uses a narrow block. Internally they are the same but the transmission bolt spacing is wider.

C89 the stock quest trans is pretty weak, I stripped second gear in my 87 conquest with a 12a turbo (I was in second, when I caught traction I stripped all the teeth off second gear). The 88-89 trans is stronger but your 4g64 setup will make a lot more hp/torque. Do you plan on an adapter plate and a different trans?

This is my 12th Starion so parts are easy to get ;) Stock transmissions are a hit and miss thing if you can find a good one or not. This car use to be mpi with 300/330 on the stock trans and did fine. With the swap I'm planning on changing out the stock trans to a b2600 bell housing mated to the rx7 trans or to use a bill hincher adapter to the supra trans. Trans option will be after the car is running.

How it looked before the swap.

1926905_10153078088459909_6957149697145656323_n.jpg

I wondered the parts for those cars are getting hard to find unless you know someone who has collected them LOL. My guess is that your 4g64 with that holset is not gonna be stressed to put out 400hp and over 400tq.

A good friend with a starion would be upset your swapping but I always tell him the starquest should have came with a 4g64. I cant see you being disappointed with the end result :).

I lost interest in my conquest when I bought my 1g awd... mainly because it was easy to modify and find parts for.

I wondered the parts for those cars are getting hard to find unless you know someone who has collected them LOL. My guess is that your 4g64 with that holset is not gonna be stressed to put out 400hp and over 400tq.

A good friend with a starion would be upset your swapping but I always tell him the starquest should have came with a 4g64. I cant see you being disappointed with the end result :).

I lost interest in my conquest when I bought my 1g awd... mainly because it was easy to modify and find parts for.
Im planning for 700+ hp after break in with the he351 billet upgrade.

Only difference between the narrow and wide is the lower two bell housing bolts. Sounds like he may have had some other issues. What all did he have done.

Last edited:
It was a fully built bottom end and I think he was running an FP Red at that point. There's something about the casting that is apparently thinner in one spot on the wideblock? All I know is that they both cracked at about the same place. I always wondered if he wasn't getting some kind of detonation or something.

I think he's going with an s366, wiseco HD's and a half fill on this one. Two stage fuel injection too.

Kiggly Girdle has been ordered
Appreciate you including our parts in your build - especially in a build as cool as this one! Keep up the good work. ;)

It was a fully built bottom end and I think he was running an FP Red at that point. There's something about the casting that is apparently thinner in one spot on the wideblock? All I know is that they both cracked at about the same place. I always wondered if he wasn't getting some kind of detonation or something.

I think he's going with an s366, wiseco HD's and a half fill on this one. Two stage fuel injection too.
If your friend has pictures of the damaged blocks, please leave a link I'd like to see what can go wrong on these.

Post pictures or link me to his thread/facebook album?Can you also post full specs. Fully built is used loosely around here. Seen way too many people claim h-beams and forged pistons as fully built ;)

Appreciate you including our parts in your build - especially in a build as cool as this one! Keep up the good work. ;)

Appreciate you offering this piece. Much thicker than I expected. Now the Pauter rods will have company along with the Jay Racing Billet Mains. Kiggly Beehives was mandatory, wanted the best.

I checked and couldnt find pictures. He didnt post anything from that happened. I'm trying to remember, I think it was almost the same spot on the #2 piston on both? From what he was telling me there's a thin spot on one cylinder where a coolant gallery is or something. To correct the problem he had his new block half epoxy filled and sleeved. I'm wondering if it's because he used bigger pistons. I know that the stock 2.4 bore is 86.5mm. I know he had the forged 2.4 crank and I believe Eagles/wisecos. The failure wasnt the pistons or rods, just that one cylinder cracking.

He doesnt have the car together yet so I have no idea if it'll work like that. I'd imagine so. Next time I talk to him i'll ask for more specifics.

I checked and couldnt find pictures. He didnt post anything from that happened. I'm trying to remember, I think it was almost the same spot on the #2 piston on both? From what he was telling me there's a thin spot on one cylinder where a coolant gallery is or something. To correct the problem he had his new block half epoxy filled and sleeved. I'm wondering if it's because he used bigger pistons. I know that the stock 2.4 bore is 86.5mm. I know he had the forged 2.4 crank and I believe Eagles/wisecos. The failure wasnt the pistons or rods, just that one cylinder cracking.

He doesnt have the car together yet so I have no idea if it'll work like that. I'd imagine so. Next time I talk to him i'll ask for more specifics.
Thats not wideblock only, thats all 4g64's that have thinner cylinder walls. Lot of variables from his engine build come into play on why it cracked. Have read there is less stress on the walls doing a long rod setup hence why I opted for that.

Stopped by the machine shop today to inspect how the work is going on the Jdm Evo 8 Intake Manifold. The flange has been corrected. Went over details with the machinist on how far porting needs to be. There going to open it all the way up from the flange to the larger side of the runners. A lot of adding material and porting is gonna get done. Instead of it going large to small to large "6-bolt head", it will be larger to large. Machinist said he will try to keep the total cost around 400 for the work, fine with me.

I forgot about your build until I got the update. It's funny because I have been a LOT of parts recently and noticed that you got the same ones recently. If you get that top mount T3 built for the Holset let me know as I need one also and maybe if we get 2 the price will come down a little. I'm going to be running the HE351ve VGT with Suprocks Turbo Commander and I just got my Kelford cams, Kiggly braces, and Jay Racing Billet Mains a couple of months ago.

I forgot about your build until I got the update. It's funny because I have been a LOT of parts recently and noticed that you got the same ones recently. If you get that top mount T3 built for the Holset let me know as I need one also and maybe if we get 2 the price will come down a little. I'm going to be running the HE351ve VGT with Suprocks Turbo Commander and I just got my Kelford cams, Kiggly braces, and Jay Racing Billet Mains a couple of months ago.
This is the guy who is going to be doing the top mount.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/KLM-Fabrication/890990684254725?fref=ts

Still waiting on the Machine Shop......

Fellow long-rod 4G64 owner. Woot! This thing is gonna be so much fun to drive even when you're just starting it out at 400-500ish, much less over 700. Hope the machine work stuff comes back quick.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back