The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

78 280Z 6bolt swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_gst

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2011
Corcoran, California
Well I convinced myself to finally start a RWD swap. After a few years of playing with gst's ( cant afford a gsx) I was throwing the idea around and my buddy said "hey you should put the motor in my 280 i have sitting outback" Well fast forward a few months and iv got the project underway.

I will try to update as often as possible but being a single dad and a very low budget this will be a slow going project.

You can follow this and our other builds at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Low-Cash-Customs/314932791952371
I have pulled the L28 out and have done a little clean up in the engine bay but thats about how far iv got.

The donated 280 :)
View attachment 149930

Out with the old
WP_000032.jpg

WP_000033.jpg

WP_000038.jpg

Little Paint
WP_000041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! My uncle has a Datsun 510 in his back yard that he said I could have and do whatever I want with it. I was definitely thinking about swapping a 4g into it if it was possible and wouldnt be too outrageously expensive. Keep us posted on the project.
This isnt the car but it is yellow like this.
body1s.jpg

I would love a swapped Z car, but it would'nt have a 4g. Just a cammed 5.3 or 6.0 with spray :)

That was the plan for it originally but there is just to many V8 z cars running around. Wanted something a little different, but now a days seems like everythings been done already anyways :) .

I love the look of old datson's, Japanese muscle is what I call it.

always wanted to do the same in my 510 but had to sell it:/ look forward to seeing this come together!

Well I got some time to mess with the car the other day. I got the dash pulled out along with the rest of the engine harness and chassis harness. Pulled back the carpet (what was left of it) and found some rust on the floor board, most of it surface but it did have a nice hole through it.

Got most of the sound matting off (stuff is on there way better then the gst's).
WP_000077.jpg

Cut out the rust hole and threw a little paint after i cleaned up some rust, dont want it to get worse.
WP_000079.jpg

WP_000084.jpg

My patch job :p...sorry about the pic from phone
WP_000086.jpg

Ok so i haven't done much on the car, been busy at work and other projects. I did pick up a powerglide trans for dirt cheap. So i got the rest of the interior pulled out of 280, and the motor pulled out of the 1g. Been playing around with how im going to mount the turbo and it looks pretty good just fliping the 16g around. Waste gate actuator clears block by a long shot. The outlet of the turbo is at a funky angle shooting toward the block but i can work with it

Its naked!
WP_000099.jpg

My car throwing up the harness.
WP_000113.jpg

First pic i think i posted of the car not just engine bay.
WP_000121.jpg

Few shots pulling the motor.
WP_000126.jpg

WP_000128.jpg

WP_000129.jpg

Such a good idea... subscribed!

Ok so Im tossing around some ideas for the intake. 1st is just keep intake aimed at firewall and run IC piping a little longer(Think Im gunna have enough room in this engine bay). 2nd is have someone cut and weld a flange on the reverse side because I have no means of welding aluminum or know how. Im leaning toward the 1st because of cash flow plus Im only running 16g so not gunna have much lag regardless of piping length.

What are your thoughts and if you have had the latter of the 2 done how much did it run ya.

Ok so Im tossing around some ideas for the intake. 1st is just keep intake aimed at firewall and run IC piping a little longer(Think Im gunna have enough room in this engine bay). 2nd is have someone cut and weld a flange on the reverse side because I have no means of welding aluminum or know how. Im leaning toward the 1st because of cash flow plus Im only running 16g so not gunna have much lag regardless of piping length.

What are your thoughts and if you have had the latter of the 2 done how much did it run ya.

Cut and weld a flange on the reverse side... The additional cost will be worth it. I understand you under a tight budget, but you want a good looking engine regardless, not a mess of tubing, etc... Just my 2 cents...

Evo8 manifold bolts to the DSM head and will point it toward the front of the block. You would have to come up with a way to plug the evo fuel injector ports, I don't think there is enough room to run duel fuel rails ... at least I don't think so anyway.
Stock intake manifold - evolutionm.net
FS: Stock intake manifold - evolutionm.net

Evo8 manifold bolts to the DSM head and will point it toward the front of the block. You would have to come up with a way to plug the evo fuel injector ports, I don't think there is enough room to run duel fuel rails ... at least I don't think so anyway.
Stock intake manifold - evolutionm.net
FS: Stock intake manifold - evolutionm.net

The Evo manifold is facing to the front, but it needs to be heavily modified compared to modifying the OEM one with a welded flange. Verify the classifieds at projectzerog.com

Yea the evo 8 seems like a bit to much work..my buddy's cousin is a welder so I think I'm going to have to make a trip to the coast and have him work his magic. I dont want to spend to much on the OE intake because id like to upgrade to a Smim in the future.

So I picked up a powerglide for 75 bucks thats one more step closer. Its a newer trans (70's i think) aluminum housing, its pretty light i can pick it up by myself.

Its not much to look at but heres some pics

WP_000171.jpg

Wish I had an adapter plate already :)
WP_000168.jpg

Havent spoken to you in a while man, how have you been? Nice project :hellyeah:. Cant wait to see it finished up and running good luck with the build:rocks:

Been good Alex how bout yourself. Yea can't wait to get it finished up. So you ever get another DSM, I don't see how you sold that clean gst. Then again I don't see how we both bought and sold that gsx for cheap LOL.

yeah i know :banghead: i should have kept that gsx, oh well :coy:. But no i haven't gotten a DSM and i don't think i will because I'm going to do a RWD swap in another car like yourself :thumb:

Haha yeah it would and if all goes well it should start in march and i would definitely keep you updated!

I gotta say those old datsuns a so badass! are you planning on making big power with it?

Yea I would like to shoot for 600hp in the future but for now I am just running my 16g setup. So whatever that and my Web 272/272 cams can do :hellyeah:. This is still the same block from my 98 gst, and it was a 6bolt swap so I have no idea what kind of miles are on it. When i rebuilt the head the pistons still looked good and no scaring on the walls so hoping it will last another year or so.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back