The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

6a12tt ECU

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

View Askew

Proven Member
Jul 29, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I was hoping maybe someone can straighten me out on some question I have. I have a 97 GSX with the 6a12tt motor hooked up to the GSX automatic with the JDM fuel economy system hooked up to it. Now I've read several threads and I'm confused as to what the ECU needs from the TCU to operate. The 6a12 ecu can't be tuned so I'm looking at running the ecu from a 1st gen 3kgt with Chrome but I'm not sure if the TCU will work with the ECU. I've emailed the Chrome guys about it and I think their ecu will work but if it won't work with my TCU what are my options? Can I run paddle shifters or can I switch to a 5 speed? In one thread it said the 5 speed had a TCU and in another it the it didn't. And clarification would be much appreciated.

Only automatics have a tcu. I was just reading about that subject earlier. The manual cars just have the thing that can let you start your car without pushing in clutch.

thats the clutch saftey switch at the clutch pedal its self. you can just unplug it

Thanks guys. I'm on that forum too as I've got an 8g and I've scoured that site but there really isn't alot of info. Read a lot on the 0-100 forums but seems that most people that tune over there run full stand alone and I'd like to try and and stay away. As for what ECU I'm running its the JDM one that came in the front cut. So if there is no TCU on the 5 speed that is the route I'll go. I'll do a little more research on the "Chrome" ECU before committing and start getting the 5 speed together. Any other knowledge is greatly appreciated and thanks again.

i have a couple other people i can contact. i'll send them a message.

so i can assume that the clip is a 7G clip?

Yeah 7g JDM full front cut. The car drives great as is and got 25 mpg on the way up to Minnesota and back but I'd love to figure out how to tune it. I've got bigger turbos from an 8g VR4 Galant and full 4" exhaust. I'm wanting to upgrade injectors, full port and polish as it supposedly does wonders on this motor, throttle body off of an N/A 6a12 as they are bigger, and hopefully forged pistons and connecting rods. But its all for not if I can't tune it. Maybe I just go ahead and try Megasquirt but the few people I knew that ran them switched to something else. Again thanks for all your help.

there is a member on the galantcenter named goku. shoot him a pm

what you do with all those 7g parts from the front clip?

Yeah I've messaged him a couple times and he's trying to find part numbers for me cause I'm having a hell of a time sourcing parts. As far as the front clip goes I'm not sure. Its been about 7 or 8 years since he did the swap. I can ask if its still laying around anywhere. Anything in particular?

the bumper and grills[DOUBLEPOST=1414522149][/DOUBLEPOST]iwas contemplating the swap too, but sourcing parts would have been a nightmare for service

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back