The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

67mm Holset Built by TurboLab of America

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SIC1Gb

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
Hey guys, so after maxing out my 8 blade HX35, I wanted to pursue an option to build this up as a budget big turbo. I've run a few turbos from Turbo Lab of America the last few years (20g and 16g) so I gave them a call.

So fast forward a few months and they received the new compressor wheel to run we had talked about.

Specs on it are :
Compressor wheel : 67mm Inducer x 89mm tapering out to 95mm extended tip.
Turbine : 67mm x 76mm H1E
My HX35 compressor cover was machined by Turbo Lab of America, they also completely rebuilt the turbo. I sent them a stock h1c 12cm2 housing which of coarse was machined to fit the H1E turbine and also ported the outlet.

One main thing that should be mentioned is that the oil drain I previously used was just the one most people run from ExtremePSI. You will see the old drain is much smaller, anyone can Dremel this out and save your turbo. Do yourself a favor, my stock hx35 only lasted 1000 miles on my car before blowing the oil seal.

This setup should be a great low cost option for Holset users who want to make big power without spending big $$. Results will be coming in the following weeks. Engine is at JAM getting machined. The new setup will be as follows:

2.0L 6 bolt
GRP Aluminum Rods
10.5:1 Venolia Pistons
Kiggly Girdle
1/2 Filled
GSC S3 cams
Manley dual springs
Built Auto
Bradco Converter
Turbo Lab of America TL6795 Turbo
12cm2 turbine housing
Hard 8 Fabrication Twinscroll custom manifold

Thanks for all the support this last year, many of you know car and have met me personally. Look forward to seeing you all at TX2k15.
Please keep all comments positive and don't crowd up this thread. If yall have any questions i will be happy to answer any as well as Turbo Lab will be on here to answer machining questions.

Now on to the pictures, threw some of the pre turbo lab pictures for comparison.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Doesn't get any closer than that!

VS my 8 blade hx35 Compressor

Turbolab welded a 3" V band on that i sent them

Great port work done by TurboLab

Attachments

• IMG_3726.JPG
    IMG_3726.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_3727.JPG
    IMG_3727.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_3803.JPG
    IMG_3803.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_3805.JPG
    IMG_3805.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_4300.JPG
    IMG_4300.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_4301.JPG
    IMG_4301.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 327
May have seen videos of my car, but here's the stock block, hx35 BEP .55 housing video. Currently the quickest bep .55 hx35.
There's more videos on my channel that are worth watching.

Yes we will see what it will do, being an auto i care about spool more than most but we will find out soon enough!

Ill let Ian or Austin comment on the wheels, as i understand it, its a custom order, but the one in Dave's car is a KTS unit i believe so i'm not 100%

The build is coming along great! Can't wait to see it go down the track.

Last edited:
Kfred513 : Loving the manifold man! Really great work! Ill hit you up when I go to forward facing!

Sounds better.

Dave's is 100% Holset and contains no aftermarket parts aside from the compressor wheel. I even sourced a Genuine Holset H1E turbine as I didn't want to trust anything aftermarket to stay together at 40psi or above- it was my idea to initially give that turbine spec a shot being that it had a 3mm-larger exducer and 2mm taller (wider) tip height....nobody else had considered it as an option at the point when I built Dave's turbo.

You're definitely going to run out of turbine flow. We netted a 5mph-faster 1/8th with the old version of this compressor (has a 5mm smaller exducer), but only 2mph at the end of the pass....and he was cutting better 60ft's this year than he had been the previous year with the HX40. Bottom line is the stock HX40 could've gone almost as fast if not AS fast with a better 60ft. More compressor would only become more of a restriction at a lower boost level.

Improvements to come. ;)

Agree, sure excited to see what it will do. Nothing left to it but to do it. Going to be a different animal im sure with the auto and this turbine housing. Daves car is definitely much further along than mine though so im not shooting for his times, but his times are promising, especially seeing as hes 5 spd.

That company (KTS) keeps missing the boat. They made a slight improvement over the wheel he ran last year (66/84mm, 62-trim) by getting the extended tip spec up to 95mm (67/89mm, 57-trim), but there are other billet HX40 compressors out there with a 99mm backplate and 100+mm extended-tip spec....they just don't have the 67mm inducer that KTS does. So KTS has the inducer, and other companies have the exducer I'm looking for.

The factory billet HX52 wheel is 67/99mm. I don't know why it's so difficult for someone to offer that same wheel to fit a HX40 shaft with a smaller hub and improved aero tech. It would sell like hotcakes.

That company (KTS) keeps missing the boat. They made a slight improvement over the wheel he ran last year (66/84mm, 62-trim) by getting the extended tip spec up to 95mm (67/89mm, 57-trim), but there are other billet HX40 compressors out there with a 99mm backplate and 100+mm extended-tip spec....they just don't have the 67mm inducer that KTS does. So KTS has the inducer, and other companies have the exducer I'm looking for.

The factory billet HX52 wheel is 67/99mm. I don't know why it's so difficult for someone to offer that same wheel to fit a HX40 shaft with a smaller hub and improved aero tech. It would sell like hotcakes.
That is very interesting . Seems like it would be a beast . Did yall get any good flow data out of daves setup this year?

Eventually....and there was indeed an improvement, but the boost level was also a bit higher at that point than with the previous HX40.

I guess I was just expecting a bit more than a 2mph gain stepping up from a 60mm inducer to a 66, and also gaining 3mm on the turbine wheel. Like I said, though- hopefully this will be remedied this coming season.

Holy cow that makes the hx35 compressor wheel look TINY.

Awesome build and great times! Kicking some ass with the .55 BEP. I do wonder how the hotside will keep up although I don't doubt it will have a higher ceiling than the .55

Holy cow that makes the hx35 compressor wheel look TINY.

Awesome build and great times! Kicking some ass with the .55 BEP. I do wonder how the hotside will keep up although I don't doubt it will have a higher ceiling than the .55

Thanks! Means a lot coming from you, the .55ar housing really drove so nice, just was limited towards the end of the season but the 8 blade was already logging 50-52 lbs/min in it.

I'm positive Dave's numbers are higher.We have completely different set-ups. I'm running a lower compression ratio, different heads, intake manifolds, cams, exhaust ect. When I swapped in the 272 Kelfords I did port my exhaust housing out but there is now way to open up the entire thing. The .70 BEP housing is no where near big enough for this combination. But it's what I have to work with for now. A side note I did not reach that airflow until 8200 RPM I redline at 9K but haven't taken it up that high yet, cold weather and winter tires = a whole lot of wheel spin!

Cool, do you have any videos of the your car running this combo? What kind of times are you running?

I don't have any times there is only one drag strip in Italy and it's a very far drive. I move back to the U.S during the summer. I have been building this car for 4 years, I am very eager to see what it's going to do.
This is the only video I have but it was with the fake HX40 60mm, didn't know it until I sent it to Justin. But I will tell you the new set-up put's this to shame.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back