The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 60mm wastegate too big?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie Tsi

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2014
Vancouver, BC_Canada
Hi all! I need help on choosing the right wastegate for my current setup.
Recently dyno tuned the gtx3584RS, JMF T3 .82 and TiAL 44mm wastegate 15 pound spring. I'm getting boost creep up to 32~psi. I want to upgrade to a bigger gate, but can't decide on which one is best. I plan on running 40+psi,and my concern with the 60mm. Will I bleed off too much exhaust energy and boost will fall on the top end? Or is the 50mm gate (6mm bigger) be enough without creep? Has anyone Have experience with the 50mm or the 60mm gate?
Any help will be much appreciated!
Eddie

You're right, I was thinking if I even need to upgrade, 44mm should be able to control at hi boost. 25psi base pressure+ boost controller should handle 40+.:ohdamn: Sorry everyone ,brain cramp:banghead: I think it was the boost creep that had me confused, and over thinking things.:coy:

The bigger the gate the more-difficult it will be for it to stay shut when you eventually run high boost. 60mm gates are designed for giant turbos at low boost with large a/r housings on V8 applications...no 4 cylinder ever really *needs* a 60mm wastegate. You're correct in assuming the exhaust energy may tank along with the boost level when a 60mm gate opens at 40+psi on a single-turbo 4-cylinder running a 35R-sized turbo in a .82 T3 housing.

Companies like FP weld a 44mm v-band right on their housings so they don't give you much option, but with an open downpipe we were able to control boost just fine down to wastegate pressure with a 66mm HX40 in a .82 a/r T3 housing on the race car with absolutely zero creep running a MVS38.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back