The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

$600 brake pads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thats 600 for a full car set! Which is not a bad price but endless brakes are expensive reguardless. Why have you looked at them vs all the other brands out there that are a tad cheaper?

They are expensive but think about all the JDM cred... I have used HAWK pads in all my cars, ranging from HPS all the way to Blue and Black for track days. Way more affordable and you also have the option to run different compounds front and back to move your bias. You could also consider EBC, Carbotech, Ferodo or Stoptech.

Mega JDM cred, bru. Have you ran different compounds front and back? What do you recommend? I'll be in the market for pads in the future for street/weekend use. Thanks.

Mega JDM cred, bru. Have you ran different compounds front and back? What do you recommend? I'll be in the market for pads in the future for street/weekend use. Thanks.

What do you mean by weekend use?

Does noise bother you?

Is dust a concern?

In other words, it's a weekend warrior. No competing in anything, no daily driving...just real fast...usually in a straight line. Don't need top of line braking.

Hawk pads should meet your needs if you don't much about dust. HPS should be fine for street/spirited driving. HP+ for a little more bite with decent stopping power at ambient temps. They do dust a little more, and can be noisy at times depending on your braking.

If your budget is a little more, I would suggest Carbotech AX6. More consistent stopping power, but can best a little dusty as well. This is my personal favorite for street/autocross/RallyCross duty.

None of the mentioned pads, I would use for an HPDE event.

I have used the EBC red stuff before I went to the Brembo setup, $600 just seems insane for pads, for some models that was for just the front pads only.

Pads can be as varied as tire compounds Price points are also just as varied from economy to performance oriented. The vast majority of drivers will never be able to tell the difference of one pad from another (aside from noise/dust). When you start to push the limits of of the pad, the differences really start to show. Having the Evo Brembos open a world of possibilities with a vast variety of pad choices and compounds. Endless are certainly near the top of the pricing tier. When searching around, you will also find some other top tier priced companies such as Ferrodo, Project Mu, and Carbotech. Even the OEM Brembo pads will run around $450 for all four corners. Before participating in HPDE events, I never really thought much about brake compounds. After destroying a new set of Hawk HP+ pads in one track day (2g w/OEM calipers), I dropped a similar amount on a set of Carbotech XP10F/XP8R pads for the next HPDE event. To me, it was money well spent not having to worry about brake fade the entire day. I personally would stay away from pads that state they are great for both street and circuit use as they will perform as well as an all season tire.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back