The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

6 bolt vs. 7 bolt [merged] 6bolt 7bolt 6-bolt 7-bolt six bolt seven bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdfzxc

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2002
Edmonton
All 6 bolt vs. 7 bolt threads are merged here.
How do I tell if I have a 6 bolt or a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 6 bolt fit a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 7 bolt fit a 6 bolt?
Which one is better?
How do I swap my x bolt for an x bolt?

What is the difference between 6-bolt and 7-bolt engines (aside from the obvious - 6 vs. 7 bolts connecting the flywheel :p )

Is there an advantage over either of the two engines?

Thanks,

-Mike

I thought, x-bolt means the amount of bolts that attach the flywheel to the engine. Since I'm not a mechanic, I hoped, somebody can tell me what's on the pic above.

I also count 2 bolts, 3 holes on the right between these two bolts and at least 2 holes on the other side. And maybe one hidden?

On DSMs the bolt count is the number to secure the flywheel.

On Chevy Engines the bolt count is the number holding each crank support...kinda interesting how the bolt count isn't a standard.

the problem in Germany is, we have all engines, but we don´t realy know, which is the best
for fast EDM NT`s we use only the engine on the pic. Why?
the old 90´s on the german VR4 NT and 1G EDM need much oil on constant speeds above 200kph - 1l and more per 700km
the engine on the pic don´t need this much oil - we have also no probs with the engine in the 2G without an separate oil cooler - but the combustion temperature is not so high.
we have also the 4G63 NT in the 2G.

who in the states sells rebuilt USDM motors? the only places i have found sell JDM ones.

I checked the FAQ about crankwalk and did a search on 6 bolt vs 7 bolt and all I could find was someone mentioning the "RRE trick" with the oil pan but they didn't mention what it was. Is there a way I can find out which engine I have without pulling the transaxle?

Thanx in advance

Joe

Originally posted by Hooptytalon
I checked the FAQ about crankwalk and did a search on 6 bolt vs 7 bolt and all I could find was someone mentioning the "RRE trick" with the oil pan but they didn't mention what it was. Is there a way I can find out which engine I have without pulling the transaxle?

Thanx in advance
Joe

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/early-late-engine.html
The vfaq you were looking for.

6bolt pic up top.... 7bolt down bottom
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have a 92 GST

Production date says July 2001.

6 bolt oil pan. ......

the previous owner did an engine swap so i dont know if that changes things? anyone?

Originally posted by g0tEclipseD
I have a 92 GST

Production date says July 2001.

6 bolt oil pan. ......

the previous owner did an engine swap so i dont know if that changes things? anyone?

a 92, with july 2001 build date, WTF??????

I'm converting my 94 gsx 7bolt to a 6bolt engine. what parts am I going replace? Or what will I need to complete this swap? Besides the engine.

How exactly do you tell if you have a 6 bolt or 7? I'd like to know what I'm running, since I just put in a JDM motor. Is it as simple as counting the number of bolts somwhere easy to access, or...?

'Pologies if this has been covered.

Swoo!

I counted before I bolted on the Tranny. I got a six bolt.

At least... I think I do. I've horrible memory. Motor's already in the bay, bolted down and all.

I really think it's a six bolt though... Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Thanks for that link, Chaye! I just ran out and checked, and confirmed it; I've got a six bolt.

Tomarrow I'll do a compression test and see how my JDM scores across the board; right now I'm really, really nervous because ever since I got the motor, the company I ordered through stopped replieing, where when I was interested they e-mailed me rather frequently.

youknow from what i have heard, and dont quote me on this one, JDM engines are garbage. I was told that japanes engines are discarded at like 40 thou miles cause of emmisions or whatever they have, so since this people only have so many miles before they have to replace it they run their cars like they stole them..hint hint Drifting, street dragracing and all the other cool stuff that comes from japan.

So you just bought the engine and threw it in your car......damn
good luck with everything and hope all works out
late

I full and well understand that. I only got this motor because I got this car over a year ago, and under 2k miles into owning it the timing slipped (many teeth missing; I was very new to cars then) and killed it at 169k miles. I havn't been able to get a job for the length of my cars downtime thanks to my location (way out in the country, no public transportation, parents with erradic work schedules, ect). This motor just has to hold me down until I can get a job and afford to either get a new one, or if I'm lucky and this one is fine, to build it up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back