The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

6 bolt vs. 7 bolt [merged] 6bolt 7bolt 6-bolt 7-bolt six bolt seven bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdfzxc

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2002
Edmonton
All 6 bolt vs. 7 bolt threads are merged here.
How do I tell if I have a 6 bolt or a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 6 bolt fit a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 7 bolt fit a 6 bolt?
Which one is better?
How do I swap my x bolt for an x bolt?

What is the difference between 6-bolt and 7-bolt engines (aside from the obvious - 6 vs. 7 bolts connecting the flywheel :p )

Is there an advantage over either of the two engines?

Thanks,

-Mike

Its a 420a. A 6-bolt is used in place of the 7-bolt because it has less of chance of developing crankwalk.

Luke

Are there any differences between a 1G 6bolt and 7bolt head, or are they interchangeable? Please help me out, but don't guess!
Thanks

i assoume you mean .. 6/7bolt but both 1g ? if so then no. if you mean 1g/2g then yes there differant.

I have a 1992 Eclipse GST. The sticker with curb weight, vin etc says production date was July 1991.

Do i have a 6 bolt or a 7 bolt. If its a 7 bolt, what drawbacks will I have with modding and is there a possibility of crank walk on a 1g 7 bolt?

thx

I was having an oil leaking problem on my gst and it turned out to be the valve cover was cracked. So I went to napa to get the gasket and I go to put it on and it was the wrong gasket. so I swing back to napa and double checked it, so I asked for a 91 gst gasket and it was the right one. I would think that all the turbo motors would be the same but is this a way to tell if its the 6 bolt. I bought the car and no one knew anything about it. What are the signs that a 6 bolt was swapped. Let me know it would be pretty nice if it had one already. Thanks

My engine doesn't look like the one in my friends GS-T (its a 95 tsi)

can anyone post a pic of a 6bolt engine beside a 7bolt... im trying to see the differences to find out if maybe i got lucky

the 6 and 7 bolt look the same only difference you can see on the ouside is the oil pan, i think, post sum pictures

I doubt there are any 7 bolt motors that are from japan and would swap into our cars.

My jdm motor is a 6 bolt and its from a galant vr4 i believe. The only way the swap is worth the money over buying a rebuilt u.s. spec motor is if you get a motor with a 16g turbo. So if you buy one make SURE you are getting a 16g turbo. I didn't so i ended up with a 13g, needless to say i kept the 14b on.

I was browsing for parts on a dsm website and It said 94 eclipse/talons were 7bolts. Is this correct? I know its such a newbie question but just want to know sawp in a block from a 90-93 dsm without any modifications.:dsm:

Just asking these questions because my block just died. The mechanic says my heads alright but the block if gone. Kind of sucks just got the car 2 months ago with 92thousand miles on it....

Yea its so weird it was running so damn nice the whole time I had it. Just one moring went to fire it up and I got a nasty noise from the engine went to dire it to the mechanics and my oil pressure was really low and it started to over heat quick. I almost cried....

Here's a pic of a EDM 4G63 N/T. Can you tell me, whether it is a 6 or a 7 bolt? I count like 8 bolts, but I'm a little confused:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I count 2 bolts :p cant tell form that pic , you are counting in the right area ? ( were the 2 bolts are sticking out on the left side of the pic )

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back