The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

6 bolt vs. 7 bolt [merged] 6bolt 7bolt 6-bolt 7-bolt six bolt seven bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdfzxc

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2002
Edmonton
All 6 bolt vs. 7 bolt threads are merged here.
How do I tell if I have a 6 bolt or a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 6 bolt fit a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 7 bolt fit a 6 bolt?
Which one is better?
How do I swap my x bolt for an x bolt?

What is the difference between 6-bolt and 7-bolt engines (aside from the obvious - 6 vs. 7 bolts connecting the flywheel :p )

Is there an advantage over either of the two engines?

Thanks,

-Mike

Probably at least another 500 for misc gaskets, bolts and other 1G parts that don't come with the motor.

Where can I get a list of parts and possibly instructions on how to do this swap? I really am considering this now and I am sure about what parts I need and instructions to do it. Mannnnn now you gots me wanting to spend alot more $$ :D

If your block didnt walk in 133k miles, its probably not gonna. If you motor happens to be one of the block suseptable to it, it should have have happened by now.

Not all the 7bolts are prone to it, actually its a pretty small percent, but when it happens everyone hears about it and gets scared. Im personally gonna do a 7bolt 2.4l swap...No worries about CW with that.

-Dallas J

Originally posted by jefferino
Where can I get a list of parts and possibly instructions on how to do this swap? I really am considering this now and I am sure about what parts I need and instructions to do it. Mannnnn now you gots me wanting to spend alot more $$ :D

magnusmotorsports.com has full instructions on how to do the swap and all the parts needed to do the swap, just find a 1g donor car and your good. Its actually pretty straight forward, but if your doing a 1g head also your gonna need to wire up the cas, which doesnt seem to hard considering thats all the wiring you will need to do for the swap.

i just would like to know why so many people change there 7 bolt engines to 6 bolt engines ??????????

because 7 bolts get crankwalk too much for people to be comfortable sticking with them, why risk it when you can easily find a 6 bolt instead?

can anyone with experience here give me a setup?
I'm looking to put about $ 8,000 into my engine. I'm only aiming for about 300-350 wheel hp. Considering it will be dialy driven.
I was researching on the 16g turbo kits. Apexi FMIC works well I've heard. (also spearco/do it yourself). Type-S BOV? Replace my pistons, springs, and valves?
Thanks.
this might sound newbi-ish to some. But for those with input, big THANKS in advance.

Set-Ups are pretty simple, Most dsmers all do the same.

Start with Intake, Including Intake Piping Filter, Intercooler pipin, core etc.(new Guages, Timer,controller)

Then they usualy Go Exhaust, 2g-Ported Exhaust Manifold,downpipe,o2sensor,catback.

Then Fuel System, Injectors/Pump/A/F Controller.
Then Transmission, Usually awd cars go with a 2600lb, or 2900lb pressure plate and depending what ur car is for a street/strip disc.

There is actually a really good Guide on this site to show you what to get and what not.

Also, if your looking for parts and are serious and want a lil discount hit me up.

You don't need to open up the engine at all if you are looking for 300-350 (that's a pretty big range) on I am assuming pump gas on the street. 8k is a lot more than you need.

thanks black, and tevenor, i've seen you around this site for a while.
Black you have parts for sale? I'm planning on doing everything at once.
my major issue right now is the turbo upgrade. i know Hahn makes kits specifically for a DSM to run nice. I was thinking 16G, or LR2??
thanks

Hi guys I have a 94 gst and cracked the lower ear off of my engine block. I welded it but I'm afraid she's damaged goods forever. I have a 6bolt block that needs a rebuild. What are the differences in the blocks? I would like to swap everything over to the 6 bolt and race on. Can you guys tell me what I need to prepare for in making the change? Thanks in advanced :)

Well all you need to do is that get a 6 bolt block rebuilt..and everything else swaps over..on the block itself. and the head still bolts right to the block..you just need a 6 bolt flywheel...pretty simple due to your car already a 1st gen..

Please help me out!!!! Hi,I have a 94' Eagle Talon tsi awd and I'm trying to install a 6 bolt engine into my car. I know there are some diffences in a 7 bolt and a 6 bolt. My questions are: If I keep my 7 bolt head on, could I use the same 7 bolt throttle body, 7 bolt crank sensor, 7 bolt coil pack, and 7 bolt thermostat housing with a little modification? For the 6 bolt block, I need to keep the 6 bolt oil housing, 6 bolt oil pan, 6 bolt oil cooler, and 6 bolt front case cover. Do I need a 6 bolt tensioner for the timing belt? Would all the engine mounting brackets line up? Do I have to notch out my mounting bracket to fit the 6 bolt water pump? Please any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Was just wondering if a trans from a 7 bolt motor would work with a 6 bolt motor?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back