The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

6 bolt vs. 7 bolt [merged] 6bolt 7bolt 6-bolt 7-bolt six bolt seven bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdfzxc

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2002
Edmonton
All 6 bolt vs. 7 bolt threads are merged here.
How do I tell if I have a 6 bolt or a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 6 bolt fit a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 7 bolt fit a 6 bolt?
Which one is better?
How do I swap my x bolt for an x bolt?

What is the difference between 6-bolt and 7-bolt engines (aside from the obvious - 6 vs. 7 bolts connecting the flywheel :p )

Is there an advantage over either of the two engines?

Thanks,

-Mike

7 bolts are weaker but they are also lighter and rev a bit faster. You shouldn't worry at all if you're running under 350 HP.

Originally posted by Masterbrandon
7 bolts get crankwalk, 6 bolts don't.

Any engine can get crankwalk. All you have to do is give it a good reason to. Crankwalk however is generally a 2G 7 bolt issue.

Ok i dont know if this is a stupid question or not but how do you tell the difference between a 6 bolt and 7 bolt engine? Im looking to buy a GST and i hear that 6 bolt dont get CW.

Simply put just check to see the build date of the car in the doorjam. 6 bolt's were made from the beginning up until build date 5/92. Thre are a few that may have 7 bolts around that era but most all dont. Unless your getting an early 1g dsm than you need not worry about checking cause no 2g's have them. If your still not sure than check the oil pan. The 6 bolt has an indentation where the 7 bolt has a bulge.

Some advice... even if you do get another 1g with a 7 bolt the odds are definetly with you for not getting crankwalk for 2 reasons: 1) its a 1g and I have never heard of one walking and 2) it will probably have 100k + miles on it, and if it were going to walk chances are it would have a while back :thumb:

I have a 93 TSI and was wondering how I could tell if it had a 6 or 7 bolt. I know they went to 7 half way in 92, but isn't it a possibility my car was made in 92, even though it's a 93? THANKS MENG:thumb:

Yeah, its possible your car was made in 92 (you can check the firewall for the month and year I believe) but I think they stopped the 6 bolt after early 92. Almost 100% sure you would have a 7 bolt stock.

Edit : Hey, another Iowa Tuner! Don't sell the civic, trust me. :p

I believe the transition came in May of '92. If you check my list of previous posts, there is one from a thread I started about this exact subject not too long ago. You may find some more information there.
Oh, I'm also an IOWA boy!!!

Not sure if the JDM motors are like the US motors in this case, but remember that the motor switched from 6 to 7 in May of '92 for the US model 4G63's. Just double check, if they dont know the diff, make them research and find out indefinitly and give you a for sure answer. Im assuming any place selling them will be able to indefinitly tell you whether its a 6 or 7bolt.

well, i guess you could also do the obvious and tell them to check the flywheel for six or seven bolts holding it on. :thumb:

Here is my dilemma...I am thinking about building my 7-bolt in my 95 GSX. I currently have 133.000 miles on it and it is running pretty well even boosting 18psi. I am thinking about pulling it and rebuilding it completely. However, I am wondering if it is worth the money to do the 1g swap. Also, is it really nearly $1500 in parts and stuff to do the swap as advertised by magnusmotorsports? I have a friend who is going to be getting a bunch of motors from Japan and I am determining if I am going to have him get me a 6-bolt with tranny or not. Please help!

THanks!

Your safest bet is a 6-bolt swap. Why spend all the money rebuilding the 7-bolt and risk it walking in 300miles.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back