The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

6 bolt vs. 7 bolt [merged] 6bolt 7bolt 6-bolt 7-bolt six bolt seven bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdfzxc

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2002
Edmonton
All 6 bolt vs. 7 bolt threads are merged here.
How do I tell if I have a 6 bolt or a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 6 bolt fit a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 7 bolt fit a 6 bolt?
Which one is better?
How do I swap my x bolt for an x bolt?

What is the difference between 6-bolt and 7-bolt engines (aside from the obvious - 6 vs. 7 bolts connecting the flywheel :p )

Is there an advantage over either of the two engines?

Thanks,

-Mike

All the exact differences are listed at dsm.org... The main difference is the rods in the 6 bolt motors are bigger and stronger than that of a 7 bolt motor. They usually can hold an extra 30 more wheel hp.

I was under the impression that 6-bolts were 1G's and 7-bolts were 2G's.
I just read somewhere that there were 1G 7-Bolts. Confirm, or does this guy just not know what he's talking about cuz I sure don't? :confused:

90-early 92 used 6bolts... late 92-99 used 7bolts. Starting at some point in 95 DSMs started using 4g63s that were manufactured in the states... & this is one of the theories behind crankwalk.

i am looking for a new block for my 93 and i have found some 6 bolt blocks for good prices, but i don't know if they will fit on my car.

well if u look at my name it says 93laserR. a 93 laser has a 7 bolt also. i want to put a 90-92 6 bolt block on my 93 head.

Originally posted by 97GSTURBO
Why would you have a 2G head on a 1G? A 6 bolt is a 1G motor.

Well they started putting 7-bolts after april/may 92.. Yes you can have a 7bolt head on a 6-bolt block. That's what my setup will be.

is there anything i would need to do or would it bolt right on like it was a 7 bolt. like would it work with my tranny and everything else.

90-94 motors were not 6 bolt motors... As someome said above, only 90-92 were 6 bolt, they switched over to 7 bolt for the 93 and above models... however, to answer your original question, yes, that setup will work fine...

Originally posted by Bob Kratchet
90-94 motors were not 6 bolt motors... As someome said above, only 90-92 were 6 bolt, they switched over to 7 bolt for the 93 and above models... however, to answer your original question, yes, that setup will work fine...

6bolt until 92.5 actually, 92.5+ are 7 bolt.:)

If you don't have a turbo car it doesn't matter. if yo have a 90 N/T. You either have 6-bolt N/T 2.0 or a 1.8 motor

The price varies alot. From 500-1500. Check out DSMtrader or look into JDM engines.

The price for a swap into a 2g cost around 1100 plus another 500 or so for parts you need that are not compatible.

Hey, I have a question about the difference between the 6 bolt and 7 bolt motors. I understand the 6 bolts are stronger (stronger rods i believe?), but at what point (in relation to horsepower/1320 times) does that make a difference? Like is a 7 bolt able to handle, say, 300hp, capable of doing 12/13s? The reason I ask is because i found a 93 talon turbo in the classifieds. Im not really aiming for much more than the stage 1 setup, at least not for now. Thanks guys.

If you are looking for 12/13s car, the 7 bolt motor should be no problem at all.

he general sense for the motors is roughly 400-450whp for 6 bolts and roughly 380-420whp for 7 bolts

Each is very capable of running low 12's-high 11's stock

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back