The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 5-point Harness mounting with Kirkey seats.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
I posted this on Facebook but didn't get much in the way of pictures and such, and figured I need to post more here to keep the page going. I have Kirkey seats in my car and a 5 point harness along with a harness bar (until I can get a cage in it). I'm not worried about how to mount the harness over the shoulders. That part I'm good. The part I'm really worried about is the console side of the seats because the stock seats have the buckle bolted to the side of the seat so I'd have to drill a hole in the floor. That, and the floor for the belt that goes through the bottom of the seat for the crotch. I have sliders installed, so not sure of the best way to install this. Safety being a concern and not have any ghetto methods at all. This is something I've never done before so having to learn from others who have done it. Thanks!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You have to weld a plate to the tunner and then use an eye bolt for the harness, same with the crotch area, but read the harness rules to be ssfe on angles, and do not for your sske use the resr lower seat belt mounting for the shoulder straps! Thats not the correct angle and will cause issues, so a harness bar or cage is needed for correct mounting

I have pics on my build thread and some at home if you wanna see what i had to do

Send away please.

P.S. It's a bolt-in harness. Was planning on bolting the shoulder straps to the harness bar but they "might" be too long. Not 100% sure just yet. However if that didn't work, I was gonna cut off the tabs I welded on and weld on a loop instead, then run the belts over the bar and to the floor. That way the bar would change the angle of the harness at the shoulders and not pull down on me.

Last edited:
Also, those seats require a back support bracket mounted to the roll bar/cage. I know your question was about the belts, but the seat back support should be incorporated into your plans for the harnesses.

Alright, thanks for that info. I'm not sure how that would be installed though. Guessing I have to drill holes for the bracket or something? Assuming that won't do me much good to have adjustable sliding seats if I need that bracket.

In my car I welded a 1/2-13 threaded bung to the floor, and then a 2"x2" steel plate with a 1" hole in it over the bung for the crotch strap and the right side lap belt. For the shoulder belts I ran mine to the bar on the cage. You can use a bolt in one as a wrap around. I prefer the wrap around when you can. I used some 1/8x1/2 flat to make the loops to keep the shoulder straps in place. You can shorten the straps up enough to keep them on the harness bar. Do not mount to floor in any case.

Even if it's going over the bar before going to the floor? Just trying to think of any way to shorten up the belt otherwise. It has the eyelet at the end of the belt so makes it a bit more difficult. The harness was given to me for free, otherwise I'd just be getting one that goes through the buckle and wraps around. Guess I need to get some pics to show y'all more of what I mean. Maybe over the weekend if not sooner.

I forgot to update but I have the harness installed now but converted it to a 6-point harness for $20. Just need to install the passenger side seat and harness and the seat back brace and I'll be all done. Thanks y'all.

Attachments

• 20190205_184216.jpg
    20190205_184216.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 412
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back