5 lug universal wheels?

Posted by DSM_Rastafari, Mar 17, 2012
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. DSM_Rastafari

DSM_Rastafari Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Looking for new wheels (one is bent) and I was searching on Craigslist and found pretty nice looking 17s I know the bolt pattern to look for but he keeps telling me they are just 5 lug universal. Will they still fit nice or are universal wheels a pain? And even if they are universal, shouldn't they still have a bolt pattern
  2. jtmcinder

jtmcinder DSM Wiseman

Iowa City, Iowa
    I've never heard of a "universal" wheel. There are double-drilled, usually with both 114 and 100 or both 114 and 120, but since there's at least three 5 x patterns and you can't have more than two sets of holes, I don't see how anything could be universal. Unless they had slots, but that would be insane.

Walk away, is my advice.
  3. Silver99OZ

Silver99OZ Proven Member

Burlington, New_Jersey
    "Universal" just refers to the wheels as having two different lug patters, just as stated above. Ask the seller of the wheels to take a good picture of the back of the wheels for you. Most wheels have a sticker on the back of the barrel somewhere with all of the specs on the wheels, size, lug pattern, and offset. These specs are also usually cast into the back of the spokes somewhere.
  4. Squirrel82

Squirrel82 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Laurel, Maryland
    Ask to see if you can test fit.If the guys really trying to make a sale he'll work with you.
  5. Doubleot

Doubleot Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Springville, Utah
    It just means they have 2 different drill patterns. Don't over think this, go look at them test fit them and if they fit and you like them buy em.

It's not brain surgery.
  6. DSM_Rastafari

DSM Profiles:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Seller said no on testing them, I took a look on the back of the wheels, they
    Say 17x7 et40 Googled it and the bolt pattern is 5x100, now I know for dsms
    It's 5x114, being the difference, will they fit? Or will I encounter issues
  7. iBoostDSM

iBoostDSM Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    If the bolt pattern is 5x100 it will not fit, and there is not chance that it will ever fit. Was there more than just 5 lug holes in it for a different bolt pattern or just the 5 for the 5x100?
  8. zcoh2gdsm

zcoh2gdsm Proven Member

harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    no other pattern will fit. i have a set of "universal" wheels on mine and my 2 sizes are 5x100 and 5x114.3. he wouldn't let your test fit them, i'd suggest not buying from him. changing 1 wheel takes MAYBE 5 minutes, if that.
  9. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Columbia, Missouri
    As stated, if he won't let you try it than stay away. Sounds like he doesn't know if they will fit but he just wants to sell them to you. You will also need a set of hub centric rings most likely.
  10. iBoostDSM

iBoostDSM Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hub rings aren't NEEDED, but I would suggest them. Since they're universal the center bore is probably much larger so it could fit a wider variety of vehicles. Without a hub ring they'll still fit though.
  11. DSM_Rastafari

DSM Profiles:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Well for 200$ and I have to guess an check If those wheels fit is deff not worth it, so future reference 5x114.3 are only size? None else fits right
  12. zcoh2gdsm

zcoh2gdsm Proven Member

harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    correct 5x114.3 is our lug pattern.
  13. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Columbia, Missouri
    Of coarse they will fit. But the weight of the car will be held by the studs and not the the hub fitting into the wheel. IT is not safe in my opinion.
  14. NWHTanK

NWHTanK Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Odessa, Missouri
    Universal wheel has a bigger bolt opening secured with a washer and lugnut. Buy changing the washer or turning it the oposite way changes the bolt pattern. Todays wheels are mostly duel pattern with two sets of bolt paterns made into the wheel and no need for special washers.The universal patern, is old school.
  15. DSM_Rastafari

DSM Profiles:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Did some more research on those wheels, now when they say that the bolt pattern is 5x100, 5x114.3 or it will say 5x100 and 5x114.3 does this mean they will fit cars with either of those patters? Or that two of the wheels follow that pattern and the other two follow the other patern
  16. MrBoxx

MrBoxx Moderator

Midland, Michigan
    It means that one set of the five holes match a 5x100 bolt spacing pattern and the other set matches a 5x114.3 bolt pattern on ALL FOUR WHEELS.

It's perfectly safe to run a larger center-bore wheel on a car without a hub-centric ring. The wheel will then be 'lug-centric", which while not IDEAL, is certainly safe as long as the lug nuts are torqued to the recommended torque limit of the stud. While I say it is 'safe', since the wheel is now not entirely CENTERED on the hub, vibrations can arise from the wheel being slightly off-kilter with the hub itself. As long as the lug nuts were tightened in a staggered pattern, this should be minimized.
  17. deanmeon2

deanmeon2 Probationary Member

Peekskill, New_York
    why not get a set of stock gsx rims?
  18. jtmcinder

jtmcinder DSM Wiseman

Iowa City, Iowa
    Not really. At a minimum, that's an overstatement that will freak people out.

The lugs not only carry some weight, but also squeeze the wheel to the rotor hat. A non-zero amount of the weight of the car is then carried by the break-away friction between the wheel and the rotor. The key to why this is dangerous is that an impact to the wheel will often exceed this break-away friction, which is much higher than the sliding friction, and all of this must now be dealt with by the lugs.

The main reason why OE wheels are hubcentric is so that when an idiot fails to torque the lugs correctly, the wheel doesn't snap the lugs. As long as the lugs are torqued correctly, the risk of snapping a lug without rings is minimal. It's an idiot-proofing thing.