The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

4g64 DOHC build question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clever Gs-t

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 12, 2011
Clever, Missouri
I have read up on the 4g64 DOHC build. My question is about the timing belt. I want to run a performance belt from HKS. But they do not offer one for the 4g64 so I am told. They do offer one for the 4g63 though. I know the 4g63 belt is 153 teeth and the 4g64 is 154 teeth. Is there a way to modify something on the tensioner to make this happen?

Thanks in advance

You can use double tensioner pulleys.

For example:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Wow that's cool didn't know about the double tensioner pulleys. :thumb:

What are the other options you know?

My opinion is, that stock 4G64 timing belt can handle up to 300-350 Hp easily.
If you are worried about breaking it, then just replace it sooner than after 54K miles. It is cheaper.

That`s what I do, have always done and keep doing. :thumb:

On the picture have G64B, with 4g63 dohc head and 6-bolt 4g63 oilpump front end.
You can see the head gasket`s height from water pump, which is 6mm (1/4")
Both tensioners are exactly the same. Use 4g63`s timing belt kit.

BUT, there is a catch- timing belt cover does not fit as the best as it should be. Why?
1. Deck height
2. Right tensioner is about 5mm to the right- may get rubbing to the belt cover.

Ofcourse you can heat the cover with hairdryer and bend it a little bit and cover the missing 6mm on top with duck tape or etc.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back