4g63t 4g63 non turbo ?

Posted by stracer107, Nov 18, 2012
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. stracer107

stracer107 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kearney, Nebraska
    Is there a difference between the Turbo and non Turbo 4g63's. Just curious and what are the difference if any? Would they work in a Turbo car? Are the heads the same? I don't know kind of dumb question I know.
  2. stracer107

stracer107 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kearney, Nebraska
    Yeah I know the difference between 420a and 4g63. I have a awful talon as well as my rs. I have access to tons of non Turbo 4g63 engine's. And a friend of mine has a no Turbo head I will buy if it will work on my 96 awful talon. I bought it with a broke t belt for $300 I also bought a 90 6 bolt Turbo engine come to find out it has bent valves as well I just want to get this car back on the road. I'm putting new bearings and all gaskets in it while I have it apart as well as all fluid change all u joint and all that stuff matenince wise.
  3. 88blazer1297

88blazer1297 Probationary Member

Beaver Dams, New_York
    your fine interchanging the heads. The compression ratio is not the problem with the non turbo pistions its the thin ring lands. Non turbo block is okay with turbo pistons. you won't have oil squirters and there is some debate on that but lots of people run without them.
  4. Cdc1221

Cdc1221 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Jackson, Georgia
    As for the head, yes it will work. You may have to swap out cams for turbo cams, and the bolts are bigger on a 2g
  5. stracer107

stracer107 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kearney, Nebraska
    Sweet that's good to know I might just have to start buying them to have as spare blocks as I plan on drag racing and at some point would like to breakers 1000 HP at the crank so a spare block or two wouldn't hurt.
  6. reallyslowfwd

reallyslowfwd Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    shelby, Ohio
    the only difference between Turbo and non Turbo 4g heads is the exhaust cam is "bigger" in the Turbo head
  7. 88blazer1297

88blazer1297 Probationary Member

Beaver Dams, New_York
    Good point about the bolts. missed the part where you were putting it in a 2g that makes it more involved you need to use the 1g manifold to match and that raises more problems with the coils and sensors etc.
  8. white92talontsi

white92talontsi Proven Member

Fayetteville, North_Carolina
    This was a very bad post on your behalf. If you do not know anything about the 2 engines then I would not be posting misleading information.

The non turbo 4g63 carries all the same parts as the turbo version minus the pistons and the oil squirters.

They are the same engine, same crank and the same rods. You can use the non turbo motor just fine without changing anything but keep boost on the low side due to the pistons.

The compression ratio really has nothing to do with it either.
  9. stracer107

stracer107 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kearney, Nebraska
    I have all the 6 bolt parts to do this then as I bought a complete 6 bolt even have all the plugs for the sensors and all. Thank you guys for clearing this up. I don't plan on using the non Turbo pistons at all.
  10. buhay6

buhay6 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Delisle, SK_Canada
    Well there's the oil filter housing as well that's different. Mounts the exact same but the turbo's have either an oil cooler set up (90-91 I believe) or a liquid cooled filter housing (92-99).
  11. Cdc1221

Cdc1221 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Jackson, Georgia
    Then use the 6 bolt with the n/t head and the turbo cams. One problem is wiring in the 1g cas. But you really need to read this http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/152329-how-do-6-bolt-swap-what-you-need.html first before you decide to undertake this. And if you do, i would suggest freshening that 6 bolt up. Might as well since youre going that far
  12. stracer107

stracer107 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kearney, Nebraska
    I want to use the 7 bolt for now and build the 6 bolt for power when I get the funds together to do so. I have read how to do the swap and plan to do so. Or is it really going to be worth just using the 6 bolt now? My talon is an auto trans by the way. With the factory LSD in it. If it will be a better set up to run the 6 bolt ill go ahead and do that but I have almost all I need to do a rebuild on the 7 bolt.
  13. Cdc1221

Cdc1221 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Jackson, Georgia
    Why not just buy new valves? You can get new ss valves off eBay for less than $100, lap them in, and install new lifters, and poof your done. Assuming of course that the valve seats werent damaged ;)
  14. stracer107

stracer107 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kearney, Nebraska
    I
    I am assuming that I would have to replace valve guides as well. I've thought about that too. I've heard good things about the $100 eBay ss valves. Idk what to do. I can get the NT head cheap. Idk
  15. Spanky_DSM

Spanky_DSM Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    El Paso, Texas
    so 4g63t pistons will drop right into a NA block
  16. Cdc1221

Cdc1221 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Jackson, Georgia
    Not unless the guides are worn. But honestly, considering how cheap you got the car, i wouldnt complain too much about a couple hundred spent on the head. My personal opinion would be to stay with the 2g head. Then you dont to worry about the cas, buying a 1g intake, etc. Then build that 6 bolt and drop it in later

Yes. They are the same bore. The only difference in the n/t 4g63 and the 4g63t blocks is the absence of oil squirters
  17. StephensToySpyder

StephensToySpyder Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    honolulu, Hawaii
    another thing you have to keep in mine is the intake cam is differnt on a 1997-99,it has the slot cut at the end for the cam sencer,but you can use any non turbo or turbo head and it works .
  18. Cdc1221

Cdc1221 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Jackson, Georgia
    The 1g 4g heads dont just bolt right on. The holes have to be reamed out for the 12mm headbolts, the 1g cas either has to be wired in or removed, the coils have to be relocated or swapped with the 1g intake AND tb
  19. StephensToySpyder

StephensToySpyder Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    honolulu, Hawaii
    you are correct , i forgot all about the head bolts,it been over 10 years sins i did that swap, good looking out
  20. Cdc1221

Cdc1221 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Jackson, Georgia
    Its cool :) thats why i just suggested its best just to replace the valves on the stock head vs the trouble of swapping
  21. BogusSVO

BogusSVO DSM Wiseman

Pensacola, Florida
    You have the head bolts backwards... 1g/6bolt have 12mm head bolts, the 2g/7 bolts have 11mm

so a 6 bolt block with the 2g/7 bolt head has to have the head bolt holes enlarged.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/341885-oil-port-mod-2-4g63t.html
  22. Cdc1221

Cdc1221 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Jackson, Georgia
    LOLOhh oops. Thanks for the correction bogus. I get turned around sometimes