The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

4g63 to 420a Oil Cap Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So if your like me, you love the gogo, but a nice engine bay is also a very fun, cheap thing to do to help pass the time while you save up for the next power adder! In this edition of SHOW I plan on helping you convert the more sexy 4g63 aftermarket oil caps to the 420a!

For this How-to you will need a dremel, and some type of glue/epoxy or JB weld. A ruler may also help but I just eye-balled everything and I think it turned out nicely.

The oil cap I chose was the one made by Bonehead Performance, it is by far my favorite oil cap I have seen and unfortunently they do not make them for the 420a engine. The reason for wanting a new oil cap is very obvious, if you still don't know, just look at the picture below and tell me which one you would rather have on your car.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sadly as mentioned before, the oil cap threads from 4g63 to 420a's are completly different as seen here.

If you are not comfortable with a dremel, than I would suggest buying a back-up oil cap, encase things get out of hand, although I found this project a LOT easier than originally planned, I would rate it a 1-1.5 out of 5 on the difficulty meter.

Step One: Start off with your stock oil cap on your car, and make 2 marks on the side so you will have a reference on where you will need to cut to make the logo on your new oil cap in a nice horizontal line. If ya dont you will end up like me and need to make 2 additional cuts in your cap to redo it... (this step is not neccesary if your new oil caps design has no up & down to it)

Step Two: Take the oil cap off your car, and turn it upside down, you will see 6 little plastic connectors holding the top cap to the threads, go ahead and break them off, either by dremelling, prying with a screwdriver, or whatever createful way you can find.

Step Three: On the top part of the threads, you have some room to work with. Take your dremel, and grind away two nice little niches where you had made your marks at. Go down just far enough to make sure the metal prongs from the new oil cap fit nice and snug.

Step Four: While dremmeling make sure to keep taking little brakes to make sure your marks are straight across, and you are going deep enough but not to deep. When you are down it should look like this.

Step 5: If you are deep enough in the plastic you can put your threads back on your car loosly. Use your new oil cap in the grooves to tighten it down, If done properly you should have no problem tightening and loosening the threads with the new oil cap. This is a nice way to check to make sure everything is cut right, it will also give you a good idea of how things will look like when they are done.

Step 6: Next go ahead and epoxy/glue/weld or whatever you bought to make sure your new oil cap is joined with the old oil cap. Make sure to apply a generous amout in the two niches you made, this is the strong point for turning.

Step 7: Wait for everything to cure, and go ahead and enjoy your fancy new looking oil cap! Even if the weld brakes you have already tested to make sure it is removable. I used a plastic welder epoxy, and havnt had any problems yet, but just use common sense with the psi of the epoxy and heat range.

This was my first tutorial, so I hope it was helpful, and easy to follow. If you enjoyed this tutorial feel free to mail me an adonized blue valve cover to compelete my dress up obsession :p just kidding! kinda...

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back