The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

4G63,RB26 or 2JZ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmgod87

Probationary Member
Aug 29, 2004
Morgan Hill, California
Ok, I am starting a new project. My Christmas present to myself this year is the ultimate DSM. I have been debating over whether to go the fully built 4G63 route or if I should try an alternative...

I know not everyone on this site will embrace this idea as I have, some will call it genious, others will call it blasphemy. But which ever side you choose to take please read first.

Im sure every member here has heard of the toyota supra and the nissan skyline, both incredible cars in the eyes of any automotive enthusiast. The RB26DETT and 2JZGTE are capable of smashing into 4-digit HP numbers on stock bottom ends, the power output of either of these engines when moderately modified will surpass most of the highest HP 4G63T's on the street today, and yes, I am talking about a "street car" (full interior, stereo, a/c, etc.) This is where it gets interesting.

I have spoken to several custom shops in my area and they have all told me that swapping either of these motors into a 1G DSM is quite possible with alittle firewall modification as long as they are single turbo converted(which is the only way to go)

The only reason I am considering these swaps is because this car will be my daily driver also and I dont want that to hold me back, I want 700+whp and I feel that the 4G63 is pretty much running on the edge at that point and it is not uncommon to hear of 800+whp supras and skylines driving around that are still perfectly streetable. So let me know what you all think.

the queston is, are you thinking. How are you going to want the opinion of members of dsmtuners for such nonsense. you want a 2jz like paul walker, go buy a supra and be done with it. youll have twin turbos and a cool bov sound. Now if you actually studied and understood the accomplishments of the 4g63, you wouldve had second, thrid, even fourth thoughts before youd post something like this.

Exactly what Luke said.

Do you really know what it would take to run that? Speaking money, labor, drivetrain, etc... ?

You could buy a Supra and a Skyline for that price.

Ok, I am starting a new project. My Christmas present to myself this year is the ultimate DSM. I have been debating over whether to go the fully built 4G63 route or if I should try an alternative...

I know not everyone on this site will embrace this idea as I have, some will call it genious, others will call it blasphemy. But which ever side you choose to take please read first.

Im sure every member here has heard of the toyota supra and the nissan skyline, both incredible cars in the eyes of any automotive enthusiast. The RB26DETT and 2JZGTE are capable of smashing into 4-digit HP numbers on stock bottom ends, the power output of either of these engines when moderately modified will surpass most of the highest HP 4G63T's on the street today, and yes, I am talking about a "street car" (full interior, stereo, a/c, etc.) This is where it gets interesting.

I have spoken to several custom shops in my area and they have all told me that swapping either of these motors into a 1G DSM is quite possible with alittle firewall modification as long as they are single turbo converted(which is the only way to go)

The only reason I am considering these swaps is because this car will be my daily driver also and I dont want that to hold me back, I want 700+w
hp and I feel that the 4G63 is pretty much running on the edge at that point and it is not uncommon to hear of 800+whp supras and skylines driving around that are still perfectly streetable. So let me know what you all think.

Why do you want 700hp? to brag or to run at the track....Dsm's do not need 700whp to go fast. Most 500whp dsms will ripp supras with double the hp power at the track. And the supra and skylines you talk about with 800 streetable hp is on race gas, dsm can make that kinda power too.

I wish if I have a second 90 AWD DSM or RX7 to do the 2JZ-GTE swap. It is expensive but is NOT impossible. In my place we are in LOVE with the 2JZ-GTE engine. We have many Nissan Skylines with stock 2JZ-GTE successful conversion and they are amazing in power and reliability. One of my friend has Nissan Skyline GT34S with stock block 2JZ-GTE, ported head, HKS 272 cams, GReddy T88-HGK turbo, Motec M600 AMS and many other supporting parts put down 850+ WHP on a dynojet dyno few months ago on 95 octane + NOS.

the RB26 with a lot of money yes, as for the 2jz It doesnt have a awd tranny so good luck with that unless you'll somehow find a Skyline tranny to fit the 2jz, as well as somehow find someone to import the tranny from japan because they mostly sell RB26 engines only (240sx thing). If not you could always RWD your dsm but I have zero to no knowledge about that conversion, oops i think i just violated rule 3 of BEFORE YOU REPLAY:shhh: .

It's a nice idea to have but I doubt you've really sat down to think about this. While nothing is impossible, you better have tens of thousands of dollars laying around and willing to dump on this project, along with countless man hours. The 4g63 is quite capable of just about anything you want it to put out, stop underestimating it.

Hey, I was thinking of something similar myself. But I was thinking of putting a 4g63 onto my bicycle.

On a real note, I dont think its impossible. But it would cost a lot of money and hard work to get it to work properly.

Dude, Honest advice. You want the allure of a Skyline, Come and move up to Canada. They are hardly alluring to us anymore because there are so many around.

I admit the skylines are awesome cars, I even have a good buddy who has one and his puts down 700whp+ on 94octane and revs to 11,500rpm. But lets be honest. Are you actually going to even attempt the swap.

Used Skyline R32(Unreliable one) RB26DETT engine and trans your looking at around $4000 give or take. Used JDM 6bolt Talon engine and trans $1500.

BTW do some more research on the skyline motors. FYI Internals are only good till around 600whp. I know, I just swapped a blown skyline engine in another buddy's car. 2nice hockey puck sized holes in the block, rod was in like 18 pieces, pistons was in 2 large chunks with several smaller chunks never found, 2 exhaust valves done, Head was damaged.

Do The Math.

hell, why not. They just put that SC'd LS1 into an evo a little while ago.

Why do people put mix and match engines into different cars? The 4G63T is just as capable as any other motor. Bottom line is, 800 hp is 800 hp. The main question is, how much $ are you willing to spend "to be cool" (I mean, by making 800 on a 2jz dsm instead of a 4g63t dsm; because we all know it'd be cheaper to do it on a 4G63t)

A novel idea, but not practical. I agree with everyone here that says that it will cost you a small fortune. If that's not going to detour you from doing it, then go for it. You'll be one of a small group to have done it (thats assuming it's been done, because I don't know).

You can BUY built 4G63 blocks for less than it would probably cost you to get a hold of either of those two engines and trannies. If you do the work yourself, you can do it for even less.

If you want a street car, build up your engine, and bump up the output to around 500-600hp. Don't worry about huge numbers like 800hp unless you want your car to be a drag queen.

Why do people put mix and match engines into different cars? The 4G63T is just as capable as any other motor. Bottom line is, 800 hp is 800 hp. The main question is,

Well, that's debateable. What 4g63 have you seen put down 900-1000 on the stock bottom end? Also, 800 from a 2.0 is going to be way less torquey than from a 3.0.

Now. The OP is a freaking tardstick. Even IF you had enough money to do this project, even IF you had enough skill tools, resources, brains, motivation, whatever... you would still be driving around in a rusty 1990 mitsubishi cocksled with a hacked up chassis and a back-woods engineered RWD setup. You think a factory awd rear end is going to handle all of the power going through it? Nooooopppe. You want a crazy RWD rb26detttttttttt car? Get a 240sx. Those look better (than 1g's), are rwd already, and the swap is stupid easy.

2jz? I don't know what sort of cars they're putting them in these days. Maybe red ryder wagons and shit. Every little kid wants one.:beatentodeath:

As they say about these sort of projects - If you have to ask about it, there's no way you can do it.

Currently the worlds quickest 6 seed supra runs a 7.88, which is almost 2 tenths slower than Shep Racing's 4G63 powered talon. The RB26 with it's awd setup also runs a bit slower if I'm remembering correctly. The quickest RWD DSM blows all of them away with 6 second 1/4 miles. Why would you go through so much work to replace something thats alread

Want a drop in 5-600hp engine that's bulletproof, pump gas friendly, and as far as I know, unique into DSMs?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL-12496962&autoview=sku
It's about as economical as what you're talking about doing... They also have 700hp 572 cubic inch engines too : /

I am not thinking about this "to be cool." I love the 1G DSM, thats why I wont just go buy a supra and be done with it. And the swap with a single turbo conversion, custom fmic, custom 4" exhaust, forged internals and street ported head will only cost $16K, and thats just the beginning. The 2JZ has way more potential then the 4G63, why is everyone hating so much!? Is it because you know I'm right and you just want to portray me as some stupid ricer who is looking for the "cool bov noise like Paul Walker has?" And for those of you who dont believe, why dont you go do some research on Ryan Woon who rips off 8.88 E.Ts in his street driven supra, smokes Turbo Hayabusas on the freeway, and pulls over 1400RWHP on the dyno before you open your mouths. Show me a 4G63 that can do all of that and I will take back everything I said. Just remember that I'm not trying to be an asshole. Like I said, I love the 1G DSM, it was my first car and for some reason I can't stop buying them(even though I could buy a supra or skyline if I wanted.) I just need to find a way to go faster!

People are giving you shit because you sound just like every other broke ass ricer with a dream. If you're going to do it, then just do it, you don't need our opinions to make it happen.

marcmsj- I dont underestemate the 4G63, I just know it's streetable limitations. I know that 600awhp is about as far as you can take it and still drive it comfortably on the highway whereas the 2jz is far more capable, there are supras out there with 800-daily driven-RWHP. I feel like I am:beatentodeath: so I will leave you all to your shit talking and down breaking. See you at the shootout.

GVR4592- Broke ass ricer with a dream huh? I have the money to do it, thats not the issue, I was just hoping that someone who didn't have a one-track(4G63) mindset would have some useful words of wisdom. Everyone on this forum is so loyal to the motor, im loyal to the car as a whole. I want the power of a supra under the hood of what I believe to be the best car in the world.

GVR4592- Broke ass ricer with a dream huh? I have the money to do it, thats not the issue, I was just hoping that someone who didn't have a one-track(4G63) mindset would have some useful words of wisdom. Everyone on this forum is so loyal to the motor, im loyal to the car as a whole. I want the power of a supra under the hood of what I believe to be the best car in the world.

no offense bro, but WTF makes a 1st gen "the best car in the world"? It's not exactly pretty.

I don't care why really, just do it. I want to see it happen. For real. Then when it's all done you can race a 4g63 powered streetable 1g. That'd be something I'd be willing to PAY to see.

I didn't say you were a broke ass ricer with a dream, I said you sounded like them. They start threads like this and they have no money to back it up. I'm sure you've seen the threads. I'm saying if you have the money and you want to do it, then go for it.

I have a few projects going right now. One is mine, a few are for friends, but I don't feel the need to come on here and ask what other people think about my ideas, I build what I want to build.

I don't have a one track mindset, I'll build anything with an engine. I've built Dsm's, Evo's, RX7's, Supra's, Honda's, musclecars, etc. As long as we're making it go faster than stock, I'll work on it.

Just before this thread gets locked. . .
marcmsj- I dont underestemate the 4G63, I just know it's streetable limitations. I know that 600awhp is about as far as you can take it and still drive it comfortably on the highway whereas the 2jz is far more capable, there are supras out there with 800-daily driven-RWHP. I feel like I am:beatentodeath: so I will leave you all to your shit talking and down breaking. See you at the shootout.

If you want a piece of paper w/ pretty little red and blue curvatures then go for the 2jz and don't waste your time w/ the swap.

You do realize that it's likely FAR cheaper to swap forged internals into a 4g63 than it is to custom an engine swap. Do you know what some simple forged psitons and rods along w/ main bearings can handle? Your goal is reached.

You leave us w/ our sense of reason and ability to see what works best for what we have.

Why take the heart and soul out of your GF or wife and swap it w/ another. She may look the same but is she really?
dsmgod87 said:
I am not thinking about this "to be cool." I love the 1G DSM, thats why I wont just go buy a supra and be done with it.

If you don't love the 1G DSM, then do it! of you do, do it! but you will not have a DSM if you do. you will ahve your own creation. That will likely be "beautiful" to you and what else matters. But don't yell "I love the DSM, but. . ." w/ out getting flack. Look where you're at. The 280z guys swap engines all the time. They go to HYBRIDZ.org not ZCAR.com . . . Swap a rb26dett into a 240z.

So you have a 1990 GST. My first DSM was a 1990 Laser turbo. Nice car, lots of fun. I remember when I first started modding mine I decided I wanted to go 12's in it, and I eventually hit a 12.99. It took me a full year to do it. It's amazing how much I learned about building a fast car along the way.

Maybe you could try something similar? Set a goal and see what it takes to get there. You'll start learning about what it takes to build a truely fast car, and what compromises are needed. Your profile says you're still on the stock turbo, stock injectors, and using a MAFT to tune. You have a long way to go if you want 800hp. With those mods there's a good chance your car is slower than stock. Sorry for the bad news.

I'm guessing by your username, dsmgod, that you think highly of yourself. I think you ought to know your place so you don't loose touch with reality. There's a stickied thread in the newbies section that says, 'Don't ask how to go tens when you haven't gone 12's yet'
and here you are asking how to go 8's when you haven't gone 15's yet. To top it off, you want your car to be streetable too. Don't you think this is a little unrealistic?

close this bs!!!! this thread is lame. :notgood: my idea of supra/nissan engines in a dsm.... :beatentodeath: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

About friggin time!! I hate the idea of swap a garbage NISSAN or Toyota Straight 6 into our beloved DSM's.

Let'em swap em who cares. Just don't let'em show up to DSM rallies and the Shootout with his DSM wannabe POS.

DSM Forever!!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back