The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 420A to Evo 8 Engine Swap?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO :barf: ford and Chevy never collaborated with a foreign manufacturer to produce the mentioned cars. A mustang is a mustang and a camaro is a camaro. No matter what year they may be. ROFL maybe if fordsubishi and chevonda come into play its a different ball game.

actually it was ford and mazda.....the probe and mx6 are the same car with different badging....also pontiac and toyota also collaborated on the matrix/vibe...once again same car...not a mustang or camaro but the premise is the same....not trying to pick a fight or flame war here.....just putting some info out there

i like it i think its good for all the 420a guys with a lil money :hellyeah:

That is exactly why the swap will work and its not pointless, its for the people who want something that not everyone else has. you can make a 300+ Hp 4G63/4 or what have you. If you want something that a total of about 5 people have in the US so far it would be an evo swapped 420a. But in a DSM world full of 4G63s The swap info is hard to come by. i wound up talking to guys from all over to find information i needed. But its not a swap for everyone, :thumb:

Until we start seeing people posting "how to" tips about the swap this thread is pretty much dead. Also, all you guys who are slamming this idea by saying "just get a turbo dsm" are about as lame as the V-8 guys saying just buy a V-8.

There is no such thing as a how-to for real innovation, it's called get your elbow grease on. And yes, this really doesn't make any sense in the long run, just buy a GST or GSX and here is why:

1. You also have to swap over the rear drums to disk on an RS and GS if you are reasonable and want to actually stop properly at higher speeds.

2. The motor alone costs about as much as a GST.

3. Why would you not use the Evo IX MIVEC motor and harness?

why all the hate? I think its original and I give you props, it doesnt matter if someone agrees or disagrees with something someone else has done as long as that person likes it, different strokes... I wouldnt personally do it myself moneywise but thats sick to pop your hood and see. its not like its a honda with big wheels on the back and small on the front LOL. good luck with it bro dont listen to the haters, oh and the guys who say 2gs arent dsms? who cares it has a diamond star on it... its a "diamond star motor" (dsm for nubies who dont know whats going on) LOL. keep the peace later

All DSM is, is a factory. A DSM just means your car was built in a joint owned factory and it truly means nothing, because I can show you a 95 420A that has an actual DSM sticker on it.

Well here is the first How to tip then

the reason the evo 1-3, 9 motors aren't suggested is fitment the evo4 - 8 are pretty much drop in motors as far as the motor mount positions are concerned.

i am kind of wondering where these huge price tags are coming from i have searched countless scrap yards and front clips are about 2000, you add in the 500 blown 420a eclipse, and an extra 1000 for all the extra misc. parts your only at 3500 for a truely unique car. You could how ever buy a gst in decent shape for about that with 100000+ miles and be just like every other 2g or do this and have something unique for about the same price.

I mean the site is dsmtuners right not lets take the easy way and do something everyone else has done already, knowledge is power, but applied knowledge is unstoppable

"quayzar590awd....you my friend have no idea what your talking about.....the colaboration between Mitsubishi and Chrysler died in 96...thats why the Eagle Talons died in 96"

question here if eagle talons died in 96 then how did i get a 97 talon and i do believe that they made them till 98 and that is when they fall off the map.
anyways all i know is my talon is covered factory with mitsu symbols LOL.

i think this is awsome looks sick and is very creative and im with brassc2007 ^^^ a 96 and 97 and 98 talon are still dsms as well as eclipses all the way till 99 who cares i hate when people get so upset about 2nd gens not being "dsm's" cant we all just be part of a comunity and be happy for one another damn

Well I have some other point of view. I live in Bulgaria (Europe) and I have to say that DSMs and all the Eclipse generations are rare. There are more lambos, porsches, ferraris and other sports cars than us, so our cars are "exotic" :) I am not talking Bulgaria only. It is most of Europe.

So a DSM-er who wants to keep his DSM and make it fast has almost no alternatives. He takes the first thing that seems reliable and not so expensive. In this case the guys can find evo8 motors for good money so they do it. They don't have much of a choice like you guys in US have.

That's why me and 2 other friends are going to make a 420a to 4g63 turbo swap on a GS this winter-spring. We don't have a better and cheaper choise. There are like three 2g GSX here and 10-12 turbo DSMs here.

So the guy has a turbo DSM with a pretty nice Evo 4G63 engine. It is much better than driving a stock 420a so i am enjoying this quite much.

In Europe this makes sense. In Asia, makes sense too. Not in the US. We have less expensive, more robust options. The only thing you get with this is that you can say you have an evo motor in your eclipse.

In Europe this makes sense. In Asia, makes sense too. Not in the US. We have less expensive, more robust options. The only thing you get with this is that you can say you have an evo motor in your eclipse.

I am not sure i understand what other options besides the srt4 swap or the edz block swap a 420a owner have and maybe a 6 speed trans out of a pt cruiser turbo. Honesty that is why i am researching the swap for a few weeks now. all i want is an evo motor in an eclipse, isn't that reason enough to do the swap? to have one of only a hand full of cars with the swap done. to me its worth it to others its just a waste of time that is why to each his own. but its great to see that there is a ton of potential to 420a cars.:hellyeah:

Well I have some other point of view. I live in Bulgaria (Europe) and I have to say that DSMs and all the Eclipse generations are rare. There are more lambos, porsches, ferraris and other sports cars than us, so our cars are "exotic" :) I am not talking Bulgaria only. It is most of Europe.

So a DSM-er who wants to keep his DSM and make it fast has almost no alternatives. He takes the first thing that seems reliable and not so expensive. In this case the guys can find evo8 motors for good money so they do it. They don't have much of a choice like you guys in US have.

That's why me and 2 other friends are going to make a 420a to 4g63 turbo swap on a GS this winter-spring. We don't have a better and cheaper choise. There are like three 2g GSX here and 10-12 turbo DSMs here.

So the guy has a turbo DSM with a pretty nice Evo 4G63 engine. It is much better than driving a stock 420a so i am enjoying this quite much.

good luck with the swap, and be sure to make a write up for it:thumb:

Your option is getting a GSX with the money you would spend on the swap! You have that option in the US. GSX's and GS-T's are abundant. You can find one fairly easily and for little cash. Just look at the classifieds. My point is WHY WOULD YOU SPEND ALL THAT TIME ON SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN DONE FOR YOU FROM THE FACTORY BY MITSUBISHI (or Diamond Star, bc I'm sure someone would point that out)? Again, I have nothing against being different, but in this case it really makes absolutely no sense. From my experiences (read: mistakes), I have learned that it costs a lot of money to go the custom fab route. Nothing wrong with it, but sometimes there are better options. Ultimately, you do what makes you happy and if the only way you can see to be happy is swapping an evo motor into your N/T then go for. But don't forget this thread when you're knee deep in it and you could've just got a GSX.

unsubscribed.

Your option is getting a GSX with the money you would spend on the swap! You have that option in the US. GSX's and GS-T's are abundant. You can find one fairly easily and for little cash. Just look at the classifieds. My point is WHY WOULD YOU SPEND ALL THAT TIME ON SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN DONE FOR YOU FROM THE FACTORY BY MITSUBISHI (or Diamond Star, bc I'm sure someone would point that out)? Again, I have nothing against being different, but in this case it really makes absolutely no sense. From my experiences (read: mistakes), I have learned that it costs a lot of money to go the custom fab route. Nothing wrong with it, but sometimes there are better options. Ultimately, you do what makes you happy and if the only way you can see to be happy is swapping an evo motor into your N/T then go for. But don't forget this thread when you're knee deep in it and you could've just got a GSX. .

of course i will remember the gsx in about 2 years what else would i swap a 6g72 motor into Honestly?? the evo motor is just to say it can be done and put an end to all the it cant be done talk about it. Anyone can buy a gst but how many people get to build them from the sub frame up in a car that was not ment to have that motor in it. and the truth is everyone has a fast turbo dsm but building a NT dsm into something one of a kind and seldom done is the right road for now.

Plus it will be nice when its done to see an evo 4 in an eclipse instead of the ever growing evo 3 style. :thumb:

Well here is the first How to tip then

the reason the evo 1-3, 9 motors aren't suggested is fitment the evo4 - 8 are pretty much drop in motors as far as the motor mount positions are concerned.

i am kind of wondering where these huge price tags are coming from i have searched countless scrap yards and front clips are about 2000, you add in the 500 blown 420a eclipse, and an extra 1000 for all the extra misc. parts your only at 3500 for a truely unique car. You could how ever buy a gst in decent shape for about that with 100000+ miles and be just like every other 2g or do this and have something unique for about the same price.

I mean the site is dsmtuners right not lets take the easy way and do something everyone else has done already, knowledge is power, but applied knowledge is unstoppable

I agree 100%. Enough said.

When are the Mod's going to lock this thread. It has just become a 5 page thread bickering over pointless crap with only 5 posts that are useful.....:confused::rolleyes::boring::notgood:

This is one of those "i wanna be different" things. If the price was right on that motor and everything i needed i still wouldn't do it. Do you know how much traction problems and torque steer you would have? The only way this would be ok is if it was awd but then i would just buy a gsx and have basically the same thing. One thing is that there is a way better swap and cheaper than this. Its called the EDZ swap. You keep your 420a head and use a block from a 2.4 stratus, intrepid, etc. Put srt 4 internals in and you good for atleast 400hp. No need to bore just get good block with decent cylinder walls and the srt4 internals go in. There are other mods like motor mounts and stuff but its way more pratical than this evo 8 swap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back