The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 420A to Evo 8 Engine Swap?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the KIA head and the evo head share the same design so it almost is a 4g63 head

So if you say the KIA head is almost the same as a 4G63, the valve cover would not fit on my 4G63, eh? WTF

In Korea they are putting evo engines and drivetrains in rd tiburons (97-01).

Most of you are guys are wondering why anybody would do this and that is not the point of this thread, its about it being done and not too much effort to do it. A lot of people don't care for AWD especially if they haven't been in one, Honda's, mazda's, Nissans, mitsu's are filled with FWD or RWD and for all we know drag racing is not the thing there. They might care about looks and highway speeds.

Imagine you have an RS and have done every cosmetic thing to it but it lacks power eith spend 4000g's trying to turbo it or spend that on a EVO 8 motor and labor, stop being assholes and appreciate good work when you see it.

P.S Dude arguing about the DSM thing, if you don't like the fact that dsm stoppped in 98 then kill youself and you wont have to think about it. Just because the partnership was done in 94 didn't mean there contract obligations where done. Don't come on a dsm board telling folks they don't have dsms when they get pissy if someone puts an evo 8 motor in a dsm.

P.S Dude arguing about the DSM thing, if you don't like the fact that dsm stoppped in 98 then kill youself and you wont have to think about it. Just because the partnership was done in 94 didn't mean there contract obligations where done. Don't come on a dsm board telling folks they don't have dsms when they get pissy if someone puts an evo 8 motor in a dsm.

ROFL oooh he told you! :tease:

Awesome swap! there are some advantages of the evo 4g that would make this swap desireable (ACD if you swap the drivetrain also, mivec etc). I would love to see a step by step how-to on this swap. someone said the talon was discontinued in 96 but it was 98 just FYI. OP, good work on the swap though i love things that are a bit unique.

In Korea they are putting evo engines and drivetrains in rd tiburons (97-01).

Now a rwd tiburon with an evo 4g, or any 4g, is SICK. That is a whole different animal. I would sure as hell drive one! There, at least, the money is put to good use; putting the power to the rear wheels!

Pete

Too bad the eclipse got ugly real fast in 00, otherwise that would be a nice car. Damn praying mantis looking cars...

Awesome swap! there are some advantages of the evo 4g that would make this swap desireable (ACD if you swap the drivetrain also, mivec etc)...

Mivec only on Evo ix head...

Agreed. I figured you knew, but the title, "Evo 8 Engine Swap?!" got me.

If all DSM's came FWD with a non turbo 420a engine I'd say this is an awesome swap. But when there are DSM's with AWD and a 4g63 already in them it seems retarded to spend a ridiculous amount of money on an evo swap. That's my 2 cents. If you are so attached to your NT, keep it as a nice clean DD and get youself a GSX or TSi AWD.

i do plan on buying a gsx/tsi awd when i get out of college

but if i have a gsx, and i still happen to have my esi then the Evo 8 swap seems like a good project. Sure evo engines are expensive now, but they wont be forever. And if this swap is relatively easy than i dont see why its not a good idea.

and xloki77x sorry but i did not know there were numerous build threads on this. Actually this whole swap was news to me because i have just ALWAYS heard there are no swaps for n/t dsm's.

Oh, I just meant dsm 4g63 swaps in N/T's.

so this thread has had my mind spinning for a few days, i have one nt and plan on finding another just for the evo4-8 swap. now the questions i have are not if it can be done i have seen enough cars with the swap in the past few days, but where do you start do you build this kind of swap from the motor up and try to track down all the odd job parts. Or is the better option to just buy an evo front clip and go from there.

which would be more cost effective??

Let me get this straight; you'd rather have a FWD 2g over an Evo?!?!?

Yes. ABSOLUTELY. Have you ever ridden in an Evo? The seats are far less comfortable than what the 2G has. Plus the 2G has a true cockpit feel like the Supra's and FD RX-7. The Evo feels like I'm sitting in an upright position no matter how much I recline the seat. It's simply a car that does not set up to my liking. As a matter of fact, the guy with the Evo that we were cruising also has a 1G Talon. I begged him to turn around after 30 minutes to go back and pick up his Talon to cruise instead.

To each his own I guess. Personally, I would much rather drive an evo than a fwd 2g. I have ridden in and driven stock evos and a few upgraded ones as well and loved every second of it. My buddy's 540whp evo with stock recaros handled quite well and comfortably on our 300 mile trip to and from Montreal. On top of that, they hold MUCH better than the stock 2g seats. I guess I am more of a performance enthusiast than a comfort enthusiast, but again, to each his own.

Pete

So what would be the most difficult part for making this swap work?
I'm all for getting an awd and will when i get a chance, but as someone else said this is my first car and i don't see my self parting from it and i wanna do something very unique to it.

So what would be the most difficult part for making this swap work?
I'm all for getting an awd and will when i get a chance, but as someone else said this is my first car and i don't see my self parting from it and i wanna do something very unique to it.

Everything, once you learn more you'd understand better that its POINTLESS.

Agreed^^^. This is like the thread about the 6g72 in a DSM. It is different, but it is a ton of work and pointless because the 4g63 is a better motor. I know all about the wanting to be different thing, but being different in this case is going to cost you the better part of $5-7k. Does this really need to be discussed anymore? Anything is possible with enough time and money, but when there is an AWD version of the same vehicle with, in some ways, a stronger version of the 4g63 (6bolt) that can be had for less money than you would spend on the swap, why would you even think twice? It just makes no sense. But if being sentimental and different are your reasons and the money is burning a whole in your pocket by all means do what you want. Just know that you could buy yourself an AWD 2g, drop a 6bolt in it, get a 16g (or bigger) used, then learn how to drive your new AWD beast and have a blast like the rest of the people here. You could then keep your car the way it is and have a new toy to tinker with. Just my $.02

Pete

Ive seen this thread on dsmtalk its cool but like everybody else said it alot of money and work that you could just put into and evo or dsm but if you live in an area where there arent alot of dsm's i understand doing something like this to be unique.

Waste of time/money, Put that money into a 4g63 that falls right in. If this 97dsm character is so smart why did he fail to realize that a 2g is NOT a dsm, Never was never will be. If its so easy why dont you see them in vast numbers. Oh I forgot because our 4g63 can easily produce just as much if not more power for the same money or less and you wont have to modify anything to drop it in. I dont know about 2g cars I will be the first one to admit that but to say that dropping in a COMPLETELY different engine into a car is was not designed to fit in with little work seems a bit far fetched. Sounds like he is trying to play DR god I know it all its easy because I am just so freaking cool. Evo spec 4g's cost an arm and a leg and are not really easy to find. I can get regular old 4g's all day for 200-1000 bucks in running condition. I have never priced out evo 8 motors but I am sure they cost ne where from a few to several grand. I dont see the point of it honestly, Our 4g is just as good. Honda kids say the same crap I can just drop in this huge 2.2 liter engine in my little poop master crx with no mods. WRONG :ohdamn: They think that because of people who go and say how easy it is and give the wrong idea to people who have never transplanted any motor. You dont take something that was not meant to be dropped in and expect it to just fall in all hunky dorey with no issues at all. Thats second grade stuff you should know better. Square pegs dont go in round holes. Well unless you work the holy crap of it. Same thing hold true here, I wont take the advise of a kid who doesn't even know what a dsm is. :notgood: Oh and that car is not in the united states, So unless he is all down with the chi fong tong chitty chitty gang bang connection over in japan he is prob just blowing smoke.

ouch bro damn take it easy LOLWTF

ive seen with my own eyes a 3g eclipse gs with an evo motor and gst trans done by extreme motorsports

I say to each their own. If you have the money to spend on being unique, go for it. If you don't like it, then you just don't. It's obvious you can go other routes, but it seems individual to the owner with the means to do it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back