The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 420A to Evo 8 Engine Swap?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92EagleAWD

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2008
Vero Beach, Florida
Now i have been told by many people that this cant be done without spending A LOT of money, I stumbled upon this on DSMTalk.com and thought it might be of Interest. I for one would be very interested if this is possible. This was Originally posted by x97dsmx on dsmtalk. let me know what you guys think?

I have herd it all from the GSX and GST owners that you cannot swap a 4g63 into a RS or GS 2nd gen without spending alot of money.

Answer: WRONG

Truth: The 4g63 Evo 8 motor will bolt up to the RS and GS motormounts with little to no modifications. You need a 420a transmission with a swapped out bellhousing. Aftermarket motor mounts to handle the torque and abuse that the 4g63 evo motor will throw at it. You are going to need a Stand alone ecu or GST ecu with a piggy back. Here are some pictures if you need any more information email me at [email protected] I will talk to my friend in Taiwan that has been doing this swap for 2 years now and has done over 40 RS and GS 2nd gen to evo 8 swaps. The RS and GS is the only model eclipse you can drop the Evo 8 engine into without major modifications, I am talking Long block not just the block or head. The Evo 8 Motor also sits on the left side of the engine bay in which the 420a also shares the same position for IC and piping also. ENJOY!!!

Attachments

• hautze77-img600x450-11862056943-11.jpg
    hautze77-img600x450-11862056943-11.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 10,295
  • hautze77-img600x450-11862056967-6.jpg
    hautze77-img600x450-11862056967-6.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 7,786
  • hautze77-img600x450-11862056968-10.jpg
    hautze77-img600x450-11862056968-10.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 7,750
  • hautze77-img600x450-11862056979-11.jpg
    hautze77-img600x450-11862056979-11.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 19,256
Pretty cool. But all that work and not swap out the drive train of the evo doesn't make sense.

If the chassis for the GS and GS-T are the same i dont see why its not possible. If you can make a gs-t awd, then it "should" be possible.

If the chassis for the GS and GS-T are the same i dont see why its not possible. If you can make a gs-t awd, then it "should" be possible.

The AWD DSM transmission will not bolt up. It is flipped around which means the t-case/driveshaft would be pointed towards the front. Unless you use the entire drive train from the evo it wouldn't work out.

Waste of time/money, Put that money into a 4g63 that falls right in. If this 97dsm character is so smart why did he fail to realize that a 2g is NOT a dsm, Never was never will be. If its so easy why dont you see them in vast numbers. Oh I forgot because our 4g63 can easily produce just as much if not more power for the same money or less and you wont have to modify anything to drop it in. I dont know about 2g cars I will be the first one to admit that but to say that dropping in a COMPLETELY different engine into a car is was not designed to fit in with little work seems a bit far fetched. Sounds like he is trying to play DR god I know it all its easy because I am just so freaking cool. Evo spec 4g's cost an arm and a leg and are not really easy to find. I can get regular old 4g's all day for 200-1000 bucks in running condition. I have never priced out evo 8 motors but I am sure they cost ne where from a few to several grand. I dont see the point of it honestly, Our 4g is just as good. Honda kids say the same crap I can just drop in this huge 2.2 liter engine in my little poop master crx with no mods. WRONG :ohdamn: They think that because of people who go and say how easy it is and give the wrong idea to people who have never transplanted any motor. You dont take something that was not meant to be dropped in and expect it to just fall in all hunky dorey with no issues at all. Thats second grade stuff you should know better. Square pegs dont go in round holes. Well unless you work the holy crap of it. Same thing hold true here, I wont take the advise of a kid who doesn't even know what a dsm is. :notgood: Oh and that car is not in the united states, So unless he is all down with the chi fong tong chitty chitty gang bang connection over in japan he is prob just blowing smoke.

The AWD DSM transmission will not bolt up. It is flipped around which means the t-case/driveshaft would be pointed towards the front. Unless you use the entire drive train from the evo it wouldn't work out.
Yes, i own an awd dsm, and yes i remember what side the engine is on:thumb:. Of course an evo trnny would be required, but what im saying is that if a diff can be mounted in the rear of the car, and a driveshaft can be run down the exhaust tunnel then it "should" work.

It's a nice option for the N/T 2g guys since the engine already faces the same direction as the 420a.

I'm not sure why you would spend all this money on a swap to put in an Evo 8 4g63 when there's already a superior trim (AWD) that comes with the same engine. Just as an observation, that engine bay looks sloppy IMHO.

Waste of time/money, Put that money into a 4g63 that falls right in. If this 97dsm character is so smart why did he fail to realize that a 2g is NOT a dsm, Never was never will be. If its so easy why dont you see them in vast numbers. Oh I forgot because our 4g63 can easily produce just as much if not more power for the same money or less and you wont have to modify anything to drop it in. I dont know about 2g cars I will be the first one to admit that but to say that dropping in a COMPLETELY different engine into a car is was not designed to fit in with little work seems a bit far fetched. Sounds like he is trying to play DR god I know it all its easy because I am just so freaking cool. Evo spec 4g's cost an arm and a leg and are not really easy to find. I can get regular old 4g's all day for 200-1000 bucks in running condition. I have never priced out evo 8 motors but I am sure they cost ne where from a few to several grand. I dont see the point of it honestly, Our 4g is just as good. Honda kids say the same crap I can just drop in this huge 2.2 liter engine in my little poop master crx with no mods. WRONG :ohdamn: They think that because of people who go and say how easy it is and give the wrong idea to people who have never transplanted any motor. You dont take something that was not meant to be dropped in and expect it to just fall in all hunky dorey with no issues at all. Thats second grade stuff you should know better. Square pegs dont go in round holes. Well unless you work the holy crap of it. Same thing hold true here, I wont take the advise of a kid who doesn't even know what a dsm is. :notgood: Oh and that car is not in the united states, So unless he is all down with the chi fong tong chitty chitty gang bang connection over in japan he is prob just blowing smoke.

Man, chill out a bit, I know better than to think this would be a bolt in affair, I have done my share of motor swaps, in cars that they dont belong in. Only reason i show interest is a friend of mine found an evo 8 4g for sale for $1000, and $500 for the tranny. So cool your jets BRAH!

If this 97dsm character is so smart why did he fail to realize that a 2g is NOT a dsm, Never was never will be.

Do you draw lines between the different generations of Mustangs and Camaros, too?
If it's not a '64-'73 Mustang, then it's not a Mustang.

:rolleyes:

Dang Quayzar... I'm the first one to admit I don't care much for the 2G's but you seem to have some hate in your heart. They ARE DSM's too.

Sorry to inform you but no 2g is a DSM its a physical impossibility. The collaboration dissolved in mid 94. ALL 2g were manufactured under Mitsubishi. I only have hate for people who mis inform others and go around saying things that are totally wrong and just stupid.

Do you draw lines between the different generations of Mustangs and Camaros, too?
If it's not a '64-'73 Mustang, then it's not a Mustang.

:rolleyes:

NO :barf: ford and Chevy never collaborated with a foreign manufacturer to produce the mentioned cars. A mustang is a mustang and a camaro is a camaro. No matter what year they may be. ROFL maybe if fordsubishi and chevonda come into play its a different ball game.

It's good to see people who do unique things for a change. I think it's a pretty cool swap and upgrade for the guys who already have a 2g n/t and have the money and want to do something "new".

Sorry to inform you but no 2g is a DSM its a physical impossibility. The collaboration dissolved in mid 94. ALL 2g were manufactured under Mitsubishi. I only have hate for people who mis inform others and go around saying things that are totally wrong and just stupid.

from the "almighty VFAQ":
The Last Word: C'mon guys, we're all brothers by now. :cool:

this was posted a few months ago. its still FWD though

It's good to see people who do unique things for a change. I think it's a pretty cool swap and upgrade for the guys who already have a 2g n/t and have the money and want to do something "new".

Thank you! My point exactly!:applause:

As a former (92) fwd dsm owner it seems pointless. Unless you could also swap in the evo tranny and make it awd, at which point it stops being cheap. On the other hand would be an awesome build, just seems to be more work than its worth.

huh...pretty freaking interesting GS EVO FWD.. Props to the guy that happen to take pride in evolving his ride to something crazy like that and I thought seeing an S2000 with a 2jze gte motor was amazing..well it still is at the top of my list of motor swap I will never afford to do.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back