1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

420a swap

Posted by Ryan Richards, Feb 8, 2018

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Ryan Richards

Ryan Richards Probationary Member

Joined Feb 8, 2018
    48006, Michigan
    So some back story I had a 2003 eclipse gs I was working towards making a beauty but unfortunately she got T-boned and now sits in my driveway unfortunately without doing much research I bought a 99 eclipse gs thinking I could drop a 4g63 after doing some research around here I have found that is not quite as simple as I thought. But I have found that a 4g63 from a Evo 8 is also a left Bayside engine which leads me to the question of will my engine from my 03 gs with the Evo 8 head swap will bolt into the 99 gs?

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas

It will require extensive modifications and custom engine mounts. It will not "just bolt in"

3. joemamma

joemamma Proven Member

Joined Jan 26, 2017
    williston, North Dakota
    no where near a bolt on-might be easier to go with an ls engine swap(kidding), but really you would be ahead of the game by selling what you have and buying the car with engine in it already

My DSM:
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Drag Race Build

16g   manual
    1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  4. Tanro

Tanro Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2009
    Montgomery, Alabama
    1dxet4.jpg

Its almost as easy a bolt in. 3/4 engine mounts line up using an evo 8 engine and trans.

The 4th (the top trans mount) just needs to be hogged out some.

hautze77-img600x450-11862056979-11-jpg.jpg
    2530563345_8124c387ee_o.jpg

1-420a-harness-still-in-jpg.jpg
    image5-jpg.jpg
    2295c1cs-960-jpg.jpg
    ZKDDGIT.jpg

This swap is only gonna get more popular as clean unmolested GST and GSXs get harder to find and cheap unwanted 420a cars get more desperate for homes. Also prices are dropping on Sirius II 4g63 engines currently. Hard to say when prices on S2 4g63s will bottom out as they do make good swaps for 3rd gens, probably 4th gens. Lancers, and Mirages. Probably some galants too. Along with the people using them in RWD setups.

The hard part is gonna be electrical, but thats not hard compared to fabricating a bunch of sh** no one makes. You only need about 40$ worth of tools and an electrical manual to get that tracking.

You can use a 3g trans. Might need to do some google searching on cv axles people have used. But you can also make it AWD with a 2g rear subframe, evo 8 t-case and trans, and a 2g AUTOMATIC awd rear diff. Only the AUTO was also available as a gear ratio for the evo.

270414_185806788147524_1539870_n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

16g   manual
  5. dsmcrzy

dsmcrzy Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    Trenton, Ohio
    Trans mount does not need to be hogged out... it needs to be cut off and moved forward.

OP this swap is not for newbs and you won’t find all the information you need on the web. The guys that have done this swap have shared pics, but have kept everything close to their hip.

My DSM:
    1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T

Street Build

20g   manual
  6. Tanro

Tanro Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2009
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Yeah I found one guy that moved it, but I swear another guy just widened the bolt hole when I first heard of this swap being feasible 7/8 years ago. Lots more guys have done it now. Reach out to them to see what they did.

No I wouldn't recommend this swap to someone with no tools, and just starting out. I'd recommend a good job and house first. But is feasible, its not a hard swap if you're willing to search and find solutions to problems.

My DSM:

Street Build

16g   manual
  7. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    So step 1 is post on a forum to have some one else tell you how to do anything. The OP Is well on his way thanks to your guidance . ROFL

It would be easier to swap a 3rd gen base model with a manual trans. It's almost plug and play, compared to an LS swap :sneaky:

dsmcrzy likes this.
  8. cmrg95

cmrg95 Probationary Member

Joined Nov 27, 2016
    Long Beach, California
    If you want go with a cheaper option you can also get a Sirius II 4g64 block and get a 4g64 DOHC head from a Kia optima/Hyundai sonata. You can use forged internals for the block. As for the head you can use evo 8 internals. The evo intake and exhaust can bolt on to the head. Use a 3g fwd transmission. Check out 3g forums and evo forums. They have loads of information on 4g64 swaps. Check out @99 OZ Edition dsm build thread.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  9. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Gives me a headache reading these Frankenstein engine swap threads.

My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

GT30   manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

16g   manual
  10. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    When I sold my turbo'd 420A back in 05 guys on the forum I belonged to at the time were getting all excited about the Neon Srt4 motor being swapped into these cars. I got out so I don't know ... did that ever become a viable option?

My DSM:

Street Build

13.876 @ 106.97 MPH
  11. Tanro

Tanro Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2009
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Different block. Can swap the srt4 internals into the 420a or go the full on fab route. Def still easier to either move the mount, or widen it.

My DSM:

Street Build

16g   manual
  12. Tanro

Tanro Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2009
    Montgomery, Alabama
    http://repo.jackmoves.com/v/shawn/Eclipse/evo_swap/parts/

This guy moved the mount.

The red car from taiwan that was the first car widely talked about on the net apparently used a 420a trans with a swapped bellhousing. That one just used the stock trans mount.

Edit: To be clear, I don't the validity of swapping the bellhousing on the 420a trans.
    Probably be easier to use a 3rd gen trans.

My DSM:

Street Build

16g   manual
  13. dsmcrzy

dsmcrzy Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    Trenton, Ohio
    Please stop spreading wrong information. SRT4 internals do not fit in the 420a block. This has been known for a long time. The rods are too long and do not bolt onto the 420a crank. There are several other reasons they do not fit. The SRT4 internals do work in the 2.4L found in the cloud cars.

My DSM:

Street Build

20g   manual
  14. Ryan Richards

Joined Feb 8, 2018
    48006, Michigan
    Tanro
    Yes I was looking into a Evo 8 swap but I don't have the rest of the engine block just the head which is neatly placed on my 4g64 which is why I was wondering if the 4g64 would work, but are you saying I would have to pick up a Evo trans and t-case because a eagles wouldn't bolt on to the 64?

15. dsmcrzy

dsmcrzy Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    Trenton, Ohio
    My DSM:

Street Build

20g   manual
  16. Ryan Richards

Joined Feb 8, 2018
    48006, Michigan
  17. Ryan Richards

Joined Feb 8, 2018
    48006, Michigan
    My Evo head is already on a 4g64 inside a 3g that is in my driveway T-boned hence why I was wondering about the compatibility

18. rstoevo

rstoevo Probationary Member

Joined Oct 1, 2012
    san juan, Texas
    Lol my motor is on this web awesome

My DSM:

16g   manual
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

14.700 @ 99.850 MPH
  19. rstoevo

rstoevo Probationary Member

Joined Oct 1, 2012
    san juan, Texas
    I have a ? For all of your who is good in wiring and would like to gave me a hand.
    I am the rs to evo and awd swap as well.

This is my fb page if you what to message me.
    https://www.facebook.com/boricua7777

My DSM:

16g   manual
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

14.700 @ 99.850 MPH
  20. t3turbogs

t3turbogs Probationary Member

Joined May 19, 2006
    North Wales, Pennsylvania
    I always wondered if you could swap the 4g 3.8 in a GS. I've seen a 3g 3.0in a 2g. And a 3.8 in a 3g.

My DSM: