420a rebuild kit where to buy?

Posted by Pvtsloan, Jan 10, 2012
Maintenance & Repairs - Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

1. Pvtsloan

Pvtsloan Probationary Member

waynesville, Missouri
    i have a 420a motor, i plan to do small 8lb turbo in the near future but i need to rebuild the engine first. so where can i get a stock bottom end rebuild kit? ive seen some on eBay but ive never heard bad nor good things bout them. can anyone help me. shes running on 275k miles and before i start throwing money at her for mods i need to get the engine rebuilt.

oh and on a second note, bout how much would a machine shop cost for a ported nd polished head?
  2. mrwalkhistalk

mrwalkhistalk Probationary Member

Las Vegas, Nevada
    http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page29.htm
    cheap or you can try Autozone? an check your local tuner shops about the port and polished heads.
  3. Cj'srs

Cj'srs Probationary Member

miami, Florida
    The best thing you can do is check your local tunner shops unless you are trying to do it yourself
  4. Leonthefaded

Leonthefaded Supporting VIP

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Wahiawa, Hawaii
    Build Your Own Eclipse/Talon 420a Engine Rebuild Kit - CI Motorsports

Mitsubishi Engine Rebuild Kits By Top Line From RPM

95-99 DODGE NEON 2L DOHC MASTER ENGINE REBUILD KIT 420A on eBay!

Chrysler OHC-4 1996-2.0L Engine Rebuild Kits, 1995-2000

Master Performance Engine Rebuild Kit 2.0 420A

I'm personally going with either howell or C I Motorsports. The eBay rebuild kits are okay, but remember you get what you pay for, and those sellers are anon's.

Try to remember there really isnt a rebuild kit, all your doing is paying for somone to peice together all the parts you could track down yourself, and build your own engine to what you want it to be. Just like the guy on parts dinosaur says. Its your engine, not someone elses. If your going to rebuild the 420a Think about rebuiling it with good performance internals instead of oem replacement. Or at least build either the short block or head with performance oriented internals. That way in the future if you decide to boost or put more effort into the performance of your 420a you will have alot less of a hard time doing so.
    bullettdsm likes this.
  5. Pvtsloan

waynesville, Missouri
    well i dont have a bore or honeing tool so id have to get a machine shop to put put it togather for me correct?
  6. Sprnt76

Sprnt76 Probationary Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Hemet, California
    You want an experienced person to bore or hone out the cylinder walls. Once this is done, usually by a mchine shop, they can put it together for you as well. You can do as i did, read up on this site, buy all the parts you want, and take it to a shop and tell em to slap er together.
  7. Pvtsloan

waynesville, Missouri
    I honeslty might say screw it. and sell the car. because when i get back from basic training and AIT i will have roughly 7-8k of saved money. so i might just see about buying a GST. i wanted to be different and mod a 420a but being different in this case is just not logical when it comes to performance. there are so many more parts available for the 4g63t. and the bonus....its already turboedLOL
  8. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    92.9%
    Columbia, Missouri
    That is the most realistic thing i have heard in some time. I would pick up a cheap gsx that needs a little work and throw your money into that. Go awd and never look back you will regret having the fwd when you are burning out at the top of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears.
  9. zonerdck

zonerdck Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Hayward, California
    One place I have used for a while is...

RockAuto Auto Parts

They have good prices and lots of options to choose from.
  10. Pvtsloan

waynesville, Missouri
    I live in missouri. there are 0 gsx's around this town if so there 2 over priced and riced to sh**. theres a 97 gst here for 3 grand but it has 275k miles on it. but if its still around after basic and ait i might nab it up neways ive heard 4g63s can last up to 350k by then i can save the money to get it rebuilt with forged internals
  11. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    92.9%
    Columbia, Missouri
    There are gsx's all over the place in Mo. You just aren't looking in the right places, LOL.
  12. Pvtsloan

waynesville, Missouri
    Where? because i cant find them. ive looked on craigslist and theres just GST'S
  13. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    92.9%
    Columbia, Missouri
    Gatewaydsm.org
    Kcsr.org
    Stl, kc and Springfield craigslist
    417 racing.com
    stlsr.com
    Dsmtalk.com
    dsmsource.com
    dsmtuners.com
    eBay
    autotrader
  14. Pvtsloan

waynesville, Missouri
    dang your right already found like 5 gsxs on KC craigslist. now i just gotta hope there are some when i get back on leave. idc how long the drive is really. as i will be driving the 420a up there with a buddy so the ride will fun and he will drive the junker back home LOL
  15. Leonthefaded

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Wahiawa, Hawaii
    So basically you wasted everyones time asking about 420a rebuild kits when you could've used the search function anyway, then decided to take the easy route to power buying a 4g63, because you dont know how to ask a napa exployee or google how to properly use a hooning tool?

Great find in KC. Good luck to you and your endeavors
  16. Pvtsloan

waynesville, Missouri

I didnt waste anyones time instead of giving me the info you could have said search function. when in reality i had already used the search function but i could not find a exsisting thread on places to buy the said rebuild kit. i am just weighing my options. its not always logical to spend 3500 on a car to get it up to the ratings of a 4g63t stock. why not spend the 4k on a gsx and use the rest to make it better? that seems totally logical and the best route to go.
  17. Leonthefaded

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Wahiawa, Hawaii

All those links took me 76 seconds. I didnt want to post that and be a smartass, I figured I'd help you, the way alot of people didnt help me, but now I realize why you really shouldnt hold somones hand and you should just tell them to "Use the Search Function Next Time"

So use it, and like I said goodluck to you. I dont care about your logic or your choice in car. Your a big boy and can make your own choices in car.:boring:
  18. Pvtsloan

waynesville, Missouri
    I understand i am new here, and yada yada, but yes thank you for helping me even though i decided to go another route.........
  19. mrwalkhistalk

mrwalkhistalk Probationary Member

Las Vegas, Nevada
    Hey 2G and 1G DSMers, we have a small choice of performance parts, and other names we can go to for changing the power of are cars. They discontinued a few brands due to are low purchase rate over the GST and the GSX, (which I am pretty sure we'd all have if we had the choice over all) but the point of the matter is. Where can we go to ensure we can pick up are parts and they wont be discontinued? So I am setting up a blog, where I am hoping to get supporting followers to the Help get are mods and new toys Hondas and other makes get for there vehicles. first post is to the

(UNORTHODOX Crank Pulley)

lets see if we can get enough supporters to help this cause and move on to other hp gains the gst and gsx are killing. FWD can be a power house