The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 420a non turbo possibilities?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabriel_dsm

Proven Member
Mar 27, 2014
bakersfield, California
i own a 95 gs automatic non turbo 420a. now i want to give it a lil boost giving me a good amount of hp! i already have an Intake(AEM) greddy exhaust with downpipe and the mods end there. i want to no what else can i do? internals? maybe tune ecu? help me out here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 120
i was thinking of going turbo but to be honest i feel like going turbo but the maintance is so demanding to many changes have to be made!

Nitrous is another option. Hard on the engine though, if not built for it. Turbo would be safer, and there are kits available for the 420a. You would not be able to run a ton of boost, unless you build the engine. It would be noticibly stronger than stock though. The kits come with everything you need and if you keep it conservative you shouldn't have too many problems. Any time you add more power to an engine it becomes more prone to higher maintenance, in my opinion.

In all honesty the cheapest option would be to sell the NA and go buy a turbo car. The price difference between NA and turbo cars is probably 1k at most. Granted that's a whole new car, but unless you're ready to do it you'd be better served going that route. If you want to do it purely as a project and hobby, I can understand that but in terms of the amount of work, a GST would be faster with a 12 dollar boost controller than you could get out of a 420 without a full rebuild and ALL the supporting mods.

I agree, if you want a lot of power with a cheap budget, gowith a 4g63, if money isnt an issue than by all means build your 420a. For all the internals and machine work you would be looking at 3-4k. And like mentioned above, your only going to get about 200hp at the most if you stay N/A. It all depends on what you can afford and what you feel like doing.

The 12 dollar boost controller will end up detonating a stock engine without upgrading other things as well( in my experience)Buying a used 4g63t for around 1k more than your n/a would probably need a rebuild since most of what you can find with a newer "built" motor won't be so cheap. Depending on how fast you want to go you'd end up wanting an awd car which could cost considerably more for a solid one than your n/a. If you stay with the n/a and convert it to turbo, you'd want to build the motor to support it as well. Really comes down to preference and budget. Either way you go, do it right and ask a lot of questions on these forums. The members here have been doing this awhile and have some great advice. They've been a big help in pointing me in the right direction.

I was in the same position you are in now, I spend a lot of money on my 420a and ended up wanting a gsx after one summer with the 420a done. I did loads of research on what options I had with the GS and non came close to a 4g63, especially an AWD. I found that the best route was to have a solid daily driver for the time being then save up for what you want most rather than just settling for the cheap model eclipse. This was a sad reality for me to but honestly it made finally getting my dream car that much better. Even if you were to spend the money to build and turbo the 420a motor the block will never be able to withstand the power in order to match the same mods as a 4g63 because its not made to be turbo'd.

Also I disagree with GsSkeeT. You have to really not understand the concept of a boost controller to blow up your engine from turning the boost to high. Also it would be a bad idea to have a boost controller without a boost gauge, and a important addition to the boost controller would be a expensive wide-band but is very necessary to make sure your mixture is safe. With these mods costing at most $500 which is very high you can have a very fun turbo car that would out perform and provide for more smiles per gallon than the $3,000 mods to try to match a 4g63.

Overall the best option is to get a gst or gsx, you will end up being much much happier with the end result compared to dumping money into a gs.

Hope I helped add a little insight, check out my build journal to see the outcome so far.

I was in the same position you are in now, I spend a lot of money on my 420a and ended up wanting a gsx after one summer with the 420a done. I did loads of research on what options I had with the GS and non came close to a 4g63, especially an AWD. I found that the best route was to have a solid daily driver for the time being then save up for what you want most rather than just settling for the cheap model eclipse. This was a sad reality for me to but honestly it made finally getting my dream car that much better. Even if you were to spend the money to build and turbo the 420a motor the block will never be able to withstand the power in order to match the same mods as a 4g63 because its not made to be turbo'd.

Also I disagree with GsSkeeT. You have to really not understand the concept of a boost controller to blow up your engine from turning the boost to high. Also it would be a bad idea to have a boost controller without a boost gauge, and a important addition to the boost controller would be a expensive wide-band but is very necessary to make sure your mixture is safe. With these mods costing at most $500 which is very high you can have a very fun turbo car that would out perform and provide for more smiles per gallon than the $3,000 mods to try to match a 4g63.

Overall the best option is to get a gst or gsx, you will end up being much much happier with the end result compared to dumping money into a gs.

Hope I helped add a little insight, check out my build journal to see the outcome so far.
I agree, except stock in most cases a 2g runs so pig rich you'd probably hit fuel cut way before the car would lean out, assuming you rewired the fuel pump. I ran a t25 and set the controller to around 18lb to give the car a more meaty midrange. That turbo did eventually fail, but it was old as dirt before it ever went on the car so I wasnt too broken up about that. I still agree about a wideband, I dont think you'd even come close to 500 dollars. Figure 40 for a used gauge, 20 for the boost controller if you go with one of the budget units (which are still nice, it's a ball and a spring, pretty hard to mess up), and widebands go for around 150 or so. I know there's a new kind in the vendor section that is 100 bucks i believe? A pretty good deal. So all told, you'd be in under $250 for that, less if you can get good deals used.

I agree, except stock in most cases a 2g runs so pig rich you'd probably hit fuel cut way before the car would lean out, assuming you rewired the fuel pump. I ran a t25 and set the controller to around 18lb to give the car a more meaty midrange. That turbo did eventually fail, but it was old as dirt before it ever went on the car so I wasnt too broken up about that. I still agree about a wideband, I dont think you'd even come close to 500 dollars. Figure 40 for a used gauge, 20 for the boost controller if you go with one of the budget units (which are still nice, it's a ball and a spring, pretty hard to mess up), and widebands go for around 150 or so. I know there's a new kind in the vendor section that is 100 bucks i believe? A pretty good deal. So all told, you'd be in under $250 for that, less if you can get good deals used.

That's the point I was trying to make. Thanks for clarifying. When I first got into these cars I had no clue, bought a boost controller and went crazy. Had I talked to the knowledgeable people in these forums perhaps I'd have saved money on crushing ring landings. I've learned a lot since then and wouldn't want to see someone make the same mistake I did.

Thanks for your feedback guys i decided to simply just keep it stock save up and buy a gst or gsx it would be a better bet stock turbo would satisfy my craving to be fast than eventually building it to get more out of the motor. thank for all of the opinions really helped me come to a conclusion!

I have a 99 rs and think I'll keep it stock and save up for a gst or gsx. Get the turbo model and rebuild it for performance, then have the rs for gas mileage and everyday use.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back