The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

420a HP and HP potential.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMcrazy3 said:
Anyways, if you're going to get a TSi FWD, why don't you just turbo yours? In the long run you'll be getting the same from both motors(as discussed before, eventually both need a rebuild)
Thats very true, in the long run both the 4g63 and 420a can achieve the same goal (there's an rs running 10's now). But if you look at the stock motors, the 4g63 has somewhat of an upper hand. The 4g63 has more power and only gets 1 mpg hwy less than the 420a and 1 mpg city more than the 420a. But the seals in the 4g63, like rings and such, will more than likely wear out before the 420a's, less power, less stress. (well not exactly that simple, but lets pretend LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo your 420A and forget the 4g63. yeah the 4g63 is a great engine, i know. i had a 92 eclipse turbo engine but without the charger on it.(money was getting to the point till accident). but if you want the same results do the turbo on the 4g63. expecially if your 17.

insurance companys will rip you like crazy. my insurance with full coverage and 3 accidents on my record comes to 600 dollars a whole year... LOL i got connections

Id like to chip on to this convo.

To decide whether or not to turbo your 420a you have to look at 3 major things.

What is your goal with the car?

If you want to build the engine on a fwd car, either choice would be the same. 420a are cheaper than 4g63 stock cars. The 4g63 offers one thing the 420a can never have, an AWD system. Well maybe not never, but far out of many peoples checkbooks.

Do you want a FWD or AWD turbo car?

With FWD, you will have trouble launching, driving in the snow or ice. AWD offers the benefit of better traction all around, taking turns, and winter driveability.

Is it part of your budget?

Can you afford a rebuild or are your goals just to turbo? If you plan to stay under 350-400 hp, maybe a 4g63 is a better option, but if you are planning to rebuild, the 420a is just as good.

napkinthief said:
What is your goal with the car?
This is perhaps one of the most important things to consider for any enthusiast, as you need to know where you're going before you can figure out the best route, for you, to get there.

+1 for that!

On another note...there really isn't anything wrong with fwd in winter conditions, sure AWD is a bit nicer...but at least it's not RWD. If ya don't believe me, take a look over to the left of the screen and find out where I live ;) There are bunches of WRX's and subarus all over, but the most economical out of all...is not the more expensive AWD systems, the SUV's with 4wd, but instead the nice little FWD's :thumb:

/off topic rant

Rebuild the 420a, b000st it, have fun :rocks:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back