The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

420A engine - Chrysler or Mitsubishi?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnr88talon

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
York, Pennsylvania
Me and a friend got into an argument about whether or not the 420A engine is a Chrysler or a Mitsubishi produced engine.. I said that the 420A was a Chrysler engine because everywhere ive looked, when a website mentioned the 420A when talking about DSMs, it says "Chrysler 420A", however, Ive taken my car to a Dodge dealership for repairs and such because my friends dad is the GM there.. My friend and his dad both argue that the 420A engine found in Mitsubishis and Dodges (avengers,sebrings) is a completely different engine than the one found in Neons and is in fact made by Mitsubishi

i know its kinda a lame question but can anyone help clear this up for me? Being a DSM fanatic i was embarrassed when my friend who doesnt even like cars may have proven me wrong..

Is the 420a a chrysler or mitsubishi made engine??

Chrysler, The only major difference between the 420a in a Mitsu and the 420a in a Neon, is that the head is rotated 180 degrees (exhaust ports facing backwards) on the Neons, but is is a Chrysler motor

Chrysler, The only major difference between the 420a in a Mitsu and the 420a in a Neon, is that the head is rotated 180 degrees (exhaust ports facing backwards) on the Neons, but is is a Chrysler motor

what he said :thumb:

It's more of a joined effort between the two companys. This happens with many car manufactures. For example, their are many Ford products that have part manufactured by GM. So who's to say who takes the credit for manufacturing this engine? It's hard to bring black in white opinions into something so gray. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I'm just stating fact. That's what this forum is all about. :thumb:

well thanks guys, i guess i dont have to feel so bad about being wrong since neither of us (me n my friend) was right or wrong

although, like i said i took my car to a chrysler/dodge dealership for repairs and they dont carry any replacement parts for those engines, my friends dad said the dealership doesnt even order the parts (headgaskets, intake manifolds etc) through the dealership, they have to get them from some other place like mitsubishi

i just thought it was kinda weird but i guess it goes along with what aftershock said about it being a joint effort

The car was a joint effort yes, but the engine was labeled a Chrysler engine which makes it a Chrysler engine not a Mitsubishi engine. The 4g63 was Mitsubishi's engine.. You are right, friend = wrong.

Oh, and if you want another piece of info; The head on the 420a was designed by Lotus and actually flows better then the 4g63

where/how did you find out the head of the 420A was designed by lotus??

ive tried researching this engine for a loong time and never find anything interesting about it, even though ive always believed in its potential

The car was a joint effort yes, but the engine was labeled a Chrysler engine which makes it a Chrysler engine not a Mitsubishi engine. The 4g63 was Mitsubishi's engine.. You are right, friend = wrong.

Oh, and if you want another piece of info; The head on the 420a was designed by Lotus and actually flows better then the 4g63

I'm no trying to be rude . . . . . but he didn't ask what it was labeled, he was asking who built it.

:beatentodeath: . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

That says nothing about the 420a. It only describes what I had already previously said about how the CAR was a joint effort. Meaning both companies provided certain aspects to the CAR. The MOTOR was Chrysler's input for the car. Does this make any sense to you? The motor is a Chrysler motor. Just because the CAR was a joint effort doesn't mean that they made everything 50/50. If GM and Honda partnered and you put a LS1 in a civic does it make it a Honda motor? No, it is a GM engine. That is the clearest possible example I can make. If anything the 420a is a Chrysler/Lotus motor.

Read this and enjoy, What does it have to say about the 420a?:
Mitsubishi Eclipse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here let me help you:
Second Generations (1995–99) cars:

* Eclipse: Base FWD model equipped with a 140 hp 2.0 L 16-valve DOHC Chrysler 420A engine
* Eclipse RS: Equipment Upgraded FWD model equipped with a 140 hp 2.0 L 16-valve DOHC Chrysler 420A engine
* Eclipse GS: Equipment upgraded FWD model equipped with a 140 hp (100 kW) 2.0 L 16-valve DOHC Chrysler 420A engine
* Eclipse GS Spyder: Convertible FWD model equipped with a 141 hp (105 kW) 2.4L 16-valve SOHC Mitsubishi 4G64 engine
* Eclipse GS-T: Hardtop FWD model equipped with a 210 hp (160 kW) turbocharged 2.0 L 16-valve DOHC Mitsubishi 4G63 engine
* Eclipse GS-T Spyder: Convertible FWD model equipped with a 210 hp (160 kW) turbocharged 2.0 L 16-valve DOHC Mitsubishi 4G63 engine
* Eclipse GSX: AWD model equipped with a 210 hp (160 kW) turbocharged 2.0 L 16-valve DOHC Mitsubishi 4G63 engine

Hmmmmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think that just because wikipedia says 'chyrsler' 420A though doesnt exactly mean anything, I STILL believe the 420a is a chrysler engine... but im just wondering why if i go to a chrsyler/dodge dealership to repair my engine, why dont they have the parts for it?? why do they have to go to a mitsubishi dealership for the parts?

thats the main reason why ive been having trouble backing up my point and wikipedia was my only source and thats why i posted here but thanks for the input

i dont think that just because wikipedia says 'chyrsler' 420A though doesnt exactly mean anything, I STILL believe the 420a is a chrysler engine... but im just wondering why if i go to a chrsyler/dodge dealership to repair my engine, why dont they have the parts for it?? why do they have to go to a mitsubishi dealership for the parts?
Same reason they don't have much in the way of Sapporo or Conquest parts. Wait'll the Crossfire customers are coming in ten years from now, and they no longer have Mercedes-Benz parts.
The damned car world is starting to gnarl up like a family tree in Calaveras County.

My 1997 Eagle Talon has a 420 A motor that is labeled MITSUBISHI. All repair parts have been Mitsubishi. The 2nd gen Eagle Talon is the "sister" to the Eclipse. Pretty confusing considering all of these responses...

Bringing up a six year old thread ?

Is your Eagle an AWD unit? Where is the timing belt cover located? Passenger side = 420A, Driver's side=4G63

The advantage of the 420A over the 4G63 is that the 420A motor doesn't have bs shafts due to the motor is an "Oversquare" motor, meaning the bore is larger than the stroke.

Motor has the quick wind up, and blast off at the line but the torque output is much lower at a certain RPM making it to run out of wind sooner at high rpms.

4G63 motors are almost a "square" motor, but just barely "undersquare" where the stroke is slightly larger than the bore. This setup requires BS shafts and it will put out torque larger than the HP rating and has the duration at high rpm's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back