The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

400hp AWD DD Spyder Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDizle

Proven Member
Jan 9, 2014
Walden, New_York

INDEX:
01/13/2014 & 01/14/2014 - The Beginning
01/19/2014 & 01/20/2014 - HID Install and Maintenance
02/11/2014 & 02/12/2014 - Exhaust Install

03/05/2014 - Mini Update
03/20/2014-03/25/2014 - Wheels, Tires & Suspension
05/2014-05/2016 - BIG Update

Planned Performance Parts List

I planning so far to run e85 and I am shooting for a 400hp goal. The car will be daily driven and may see a few track sessions when I start making more power. This isn't my first car but the first I'll actually be building up for some power and what not so if you see something in my list that won't work together feel free to yell at me! Still learning! :D

-5 Speed/AWD Swap
-Megan Racing AWD Exhaust & Downpipe
-FP Manifold
-ACT 2100 Clutch Kit
-ACT Streetlite Flywheel
-DSM Link V3 Full
-Speed Density
-ECM Tuning Boost Control Solenoid
-Innovate Wideband Gauge
-Innovate Boost Gauge
-16G Turbo
-Punishment Racing FMIC
-Greddy RS Bov
-Walbro 255
-Fuel Pump Rewire
-FIC 1450cc
-Extreme PSI Intake

The Beginning
-January 13th/14th, 2014-

On January 10th, my brother, father and I set off for the 20 hour drive from our house in New York to Melbourne, Florida. My father and I drove straight through, switching every time we stopped to refill on gas. The trip was originally planned for my brother to go down to Florida to look for a condo for the winter times. While looking at rental vehicles we stumbled across a MINT spyder gst with 46,000 miles. This thing was a florida car, garage kept and adult owned! The car has absolutely no rust and the car is completely stock except for the wheels.

No offense to anyone but I cannot stand chrome wheels! Anyway so we make it to my uncle's in florida at like 1 am and we all pass out right away. The next day we went over to the dealership where the car was, I test drove it, the car looked amazing but the only flaw was it needs an alignment. We placed a deposit and came back the following monday (January 13th), we filled out some paper work and headed straight to the gas station since no dealers even give you a gallon of gas! After that I headed to autozone for some oil, changed the oil at my uncles, and started doing some upgrades to it! Only other thing I did was upgrade my back up lights with some LEDs and some LED license plate bulbs. The next day I installed an aftermarket Pioneer headunit since the radio was from 1998 and I plastidipped my wheels black to cover up the chrome till I can do something more permanent. Now for the 1,200 miles trip back to New York to officially make it mine!

IMG_1578_zpscc9bb4aa.jpg
IMG_1579_zps4860cdc9.jpg
IMG_1586_zps8ca98351.jpg
IMG_1588_zpsaf2697ce.jpg
IMG_1592_zpsdca12a60.jpg
Spyder33_zps915aba85.jpg
Spyder8_zpscfbfec2b.jpg

Last edited:
how much did you get the car for? and why the heck are you using some crappy oil like autozone brand?

Picked up the car for $4,800 and I already ordered royal purple and had it at my house and autozone didn't have any royal purple so I just put some cheap oil in and just changed to royal purple today. Better to run fresh cheap oil for the 1,200 mile trip home than mystery oil.

HID Install/Maintenance
-January 19th/20th, 2014-

We left florida at around 11:30 am and stopped around 8pm for the night at a Marriott hotel. We brought some apple bees back to the room, ate and then passed out! The next day we left around 9 am to finish the trip home, after experiencing more traffic throughout Washington DC and New Jersey than we expected we finally pulled in to the driveway around 6pm. Phew that was a long drive! Good thing is there were no problems and the spyder made it the whole 1,200 mile trip! Around the holidays I ordered some things from STM and some HIDs from DDM Tuning. Prior to ordering I was under the impression they were solely an American company, however after ordering I found out that some products may ship from China and others from California. Great! So the next thing I check on my order is where they were coming from, after all my whole reason for ordering from them is that they were based in the United States. Not to my surprise it turns out my HID's were shipped from China. I was originally hoping to bring the stuff I ordered down to florida with me so I could install things down there since it's like 60 degrees warmer but that plan did not work out too well since both packages came the week I was already down there. So since I don't personally have a garage I figured I'd use the big garage where I work (I work at an Office Depot in a mall so the store has a large garage to receive deliveries.) Anyway I got the HIDs test fitted and the next day I drilled holes for ballast wires and finalized mounting the ballasts. I also changed my oil again from the Autozone brand 10w-30 to Royal Purple 10w-30 with an OEM filter and then I changed my spark plugs to NGK's. Next up will be changing the timing belt, and water pump, installing my Evo X Plate Bracket and solving a low idle issue. Stay tuned!

STM Order:
- Evo X Plate Mount
- NGK Spark Plugs (4)
- Royal Purple HPS Motor Oil 10w-30 (5 qts.)
- OEM Mitsubishi Oil Filter

DDM Tuning Order:
- 6000k/9006 HID's
- 35W HID Ballasts
- Ballast Mounting Brackets

STMampHIDDelivery_zpsccb5f8e3.jpg

FirstNYGarage_zpsc8dc99d0.jpg

HIDInstall_zps4488494e.jpg

LEDReverseLightsInstall_zpse93a8d32.jpg

2ndOilChange1_zps42964c94.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You are out of your mind to molest such a low mile mint condition car. Just my .02 though..

I haven't done anything yet that could be considered molesting it? What else should I do with the car? Keep it the way it is for 10 years and let it rust and then start to build it? I'm a college student so having another car isn't an option. Not trying to be rude just seriously wondering what you'd do? :confused:

Clean spyder just please don't do any ricey body kits or anything LOL.

Thanks, and I'd never do that. OEM for the win LOL! :hellyeah: Not doing anything to the exterior except dropping it, changing the top to black and different wheels.

Wow that thing is clean….

Thanks! I plan to keep it that way!

Gotta agree with Crash89, that spyder is in such nice condition, with very low miles... treat it right :pray:

I will, I'm not doing anything crazy, just lowering it a little, new wheels, exhaust and a new top. Just gunna push some more power out of it and convert to 5-speed and awd. Planning to keep it for a longg time

That is a killer price you picked that up for, especially since it is virtually spotless! Evo plate bracket is gonna be a nice touch. Also, the tan top isn't too bad at all. Ever since the "garage tuner" video on youtube, I've became a fan of spyders. Good luck with your build!

That is a killer price you picked that up for, especially since it is virtually spotless! Evo plate bracket is gonna be a nice touch. Also, the tan top isn't too bad at all. Ever since the "garage tuner" video on youtube, I've became a fan of spyders. Good luck with your build!

Thanks for the nice words! I don't mind the tan top but I'd prefer a black one. I've never cared for spyders that much but I saw this one and fell in love!

That's a pretty nice find, you should check out brad penn oil tho, that royal purple isn't the best for your engine

Thanks and will do! Thanks for the info, you can always improve something :thumb:

Your car makes me want a spyder more and more. I've really fallen in love with them just wish they werent a 4k+ car here.

I felt the same way with a gsx, in my area they just cost too much for what you get in my opinion but when I saw this spyder I fell in love.

Saw that car listed a while back on CL. It looked too good to be true. I figured it was one of those 'fake' ads to scam buyers. Guess not! Good score. Certainly are few left like it.

Saw that car listed a while back on CL. It looked too good to be true. I figured it was one of those 'fake' ads to scam buyers. Guess not! Good score. Certainly are few left like it.

You were looking at the Orlando craigslist? But yea I'm really happy with the deal and the shape of the car!

Looks good, keep the pics coming! Good luck to you sir

Thank you! I was reading your build and you're doing good work, keep it up :hellyeah:

that was a good find! Where I'm at there's a gst at a little dealer for 4,495 its a 98 with 190,000 miles, so ya you did good

Sheesh, I wouldn't spend a grand on a car with 190,000 miles! :nono:

That is an insane price! I would of guessed around $7000. Great Find. keep is clean, simple, and fast.

The price was actually $6,999 on the dealer's website, than $5,999 on cars.com and finally $4,999 on craigslist and we ended up negotitating at $4,800 so overall I'm really happy with the deal

Exhaust Install
-February 11th/12th,2014-

Since I'm planning to swap to AWD and needing a little sound while I wait I ordered an exhaust of eBay. Ending up paying a little over $100 for a cat-back. When it arrived the box was pretty beat up so I was worried about the condition of the system. After opening the box and removing all the packing everything checked out and looked really good. I immediately got to work installing it after work! After spending about 4 hours removing the stock exhaust I started bolting up the new one. After getting the first pipe on it was getting too dark to work so I stopped for the day. The next day I got up early and pounded out the rest of the install. It took about another 2 hours to finally get everything bolted up and fit right. Overall besides a lot of wresting to get the pipes to fit correctly it was a fairly easy install. My only real complaint would be that the exit hangs too low in relation to the cut out and the bumper. I'm going to have the hanger adjusted so it fits better but overall I'm pretty happy with the results!

IMG_1862_zpse8049d77.jpg

IMG_1863_zps4370f856.jpg

IMG_1870_zps484133d4.jpg

IMG_1881_zps2503c7f6.jpg

IMG_1882_zps9900bd65.jpg

IMG_1884_zpsad63f25c.jpg
IMG_1871_zps32c6bea1.jpg

INDEX:
01/13/2014 & 01/14/2014 - The Beginning
01/19/2014 & 01/20/2014 - HID Install and Maintenance
02/11/2014 & 02/12/2014 - Exhaust Install

The Beginning
-January 13th/14th, 2014-

On January 10th, my brother, father and I set off for the 20 hour drive from our house in New York to Melbourne, Florida. My father and I drove straight through, switching every time we stopped to refill on gas. The trip was originally planned for my brother to go down to Florida to look for a condo for the winter times. While looking at rental vehicles we stumbled across a MINT spyder gst with 46,000 miles. This thing was a florida car, garage kept and adult owned! The car has absolutely no rust and the car is completely stock except for the wheels.

No offense to anyone but I cannot stand chrome wheels! Anyway so we make it to my uncle’s in florida at like 1 am and we all pass out right away. The next day we went over to the dealership where the car was, I test drove it, the car looked amazing but the only flaw was it needs an alignment. We placed a deposit and came back the following monday (January 13th), we filled out some paper work and headed straight to the gas station since no dealers even give you a gallon of gas! After that I headed to autozone for some oil, changed the oil at my uncles, and started doing some upgrades to it! Only other thing I did was upgrade my back up lights with some LEDs and some LED license plate bulbs. The next day I installed an aftermarket Pioneer headset since the radio was from 1998 and I plastidipped my wheels black to cover up the chrome till I can do something more permanent. Now for the 1,200 miles trip back to New York to officially make it mine!

IMG_1578_zpscc9bb4aa.jpg

IMG_1579_zps4860cdc9.jpg

IMG_1586_zps8ca98351.jpg

IMG_1588_zpsaf2697ce.jpg

IMG_1592_zpsdca12a60.jpg

Spyder33_zps915aba85.jpg

Spyder8_zpscfbfec2b.jpg

Man that car is in mint condition. very nice find! Well keep us posted as to the progress:thumb:

Love the color. My 98 2gb awd talon spyder is the same color. Who cares about the miles do what you want with it. I bought mine new in 99 and swapped to 5speed,awd,6bolt with 15k on the car in 2000. It now has 48k on it.

Thanks for the kind words and I agree about the whole mileage thing. There's people with 2013 evo X's that own it for a year and are already tearing apart to build it. ROFL I remember reading your build and loved it! Car looks amazing! I'm planning the same as far as the 5 speed and awd swap however for now it'll stay an eclipse and I'm going to keep the stock 7 bolt.

Oh and I finally added a parts list for what I'm planning to use so far. I think i did enough research to make sure it'll all work together!

Mini Update:
-March 5th, 2014-

Just a small update. I finally installed my front license plate and the evo x plate bracket i've had since I got the car. Overall I'm pretty happy with the install. When it gets a little warmer I'm going to take it back off and trim some more of the mount so it fits more flush. The other thing and probably more important is that on monday (March 4th) I ordered new wheels and tires along with some Koni yellows and an Eibach pro kit! What wheels I ordered will remain a secret until they're installed, however I'm very excited to get everything on and ready for the warm weather! On a smaller note I've been battling a problem of what I believe is being caused by the transmission. Once the cars been at running temp for a certain amount of time the car develops acceleration problems between the 1800-2600 rpm range. Under normal acceleration the car will accelerate and than hit a certain rpm and than start to slowly drop (foot is still on the gas) and than once it drops about 200-300 rpms the car starts to jerk and the rpms bounce. It goes away if you let off the gas or practically floor it. You could see how this would be annoying as following another car doing anywhere from 35-55 will be in that range for keeping your car at a consistent speed. Regardless after a lot of research I believe the transmission needs new fluid and a new filter. I ordered a new filter, OEM ATF fluid and a gasket for the pan from STM on monday night so hoping to have a lot done in the next week or two! Stay tuned!

You should really reconsider the awd 5 speed swap. Cars with mileage like that have value because they are getting so hard to find. The auto will win races, a 5 speed will impress 16 year old kids.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back