The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

GVR-4 4 turbo bolts from EM to Turbo frozen

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
I played by all the rules. New OEM 11 grade turbo bolts with nickel anti-sieze before last installed.

I am using a cheater bar with a 30 inch solid pipe on top along with a 14mm 6 point socket. Bolts have been soaked in Kroil.

Breaker bar wants to bend or snap. Impact does nothing.

Scared of using a torch with open gas lines since I am swapping the head.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

If able, take the car for a drive. Should heat up enough to help out. If you are too far into the job, heat won't hurt. Plug the fuel lines and have a fan going.

Thanks everyone. Should have used heat. Snapped one and the other is ready to go! Fortunately I have a spare turbo housing that I have been waiting to put in.

When spraying the penetrating oil make sure you're spraying the threaded end the bolts that stick out of the threaded holes on the turbine housing. Spraying the bolt head won't get the oil onto the threads where you want it. Also, if you are going to try to heat things up, heat the turbine housing corners near the threaded holes. You should be able to get these out without much trouble with an impact also. I've never had much problems with mine (yet). I'm surprised the anti-seize didn't help. Did you coat the threads well all the way & around?

When spraying the penetrating oil make sure you're spraying the threaded end the bolts that stick out of the threaded holes on the turbine housing. Spraying the bolt head won't get the oil onto the threads where you want it. Also, if you are going to try to heat things up, heat the turbine housing corners near the threaded holes. You should be able to get these out without much trouble with an impact also. I've never had much problems with mine (yet). I'm surprised the anti-seize didn't help. Did you coat the threads well all the way & around?

Thanks for the tip and yes...coated the threads well and all the way around. While I did spray the threaded ends, I also sprayed the threads that stuck out. I should have let it sit longer potentially.

I am freaked about fires after torching some liquid wrench soaked bolts on another vehicle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back