The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4" Exhaust Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why would you want to use 2.1mm wall thickness? Thats going to be 1 super heavy system, your adding an extra inch for no reason and then thisckness aswell? Mines 3" 1.2mm wall or 18g fukly purged, i would have gone alot thinner as the industry standard is 16g or 1.6mm wall anything more then that is a waste and just added weight.

I would have gone 1mm wall but was cutting it close as if i caught it on a hump it might ruin it being so thin!

But its application is not for process so thats pointless to mention that! Exhaust is the standard and thats 1.6 reguardless. Dont get me wrong i think you done good and looks nice and all but im a more function over form guy and 4" and 2.1mm wall is alittle over board and in my eye super pointless and a waste of a build to me.

Please weigh the oem system and then this system, would be very interested in the difference.

I was going to get 16ga tubing, but all the bends I wanted were 14ga. I figured I might as well get the matching size. I highly doubt the oem system with cats, resonators, mufflers, and solid hangers would be lighter.

Last edited:
Can you link the page that you got the bends from? I looked at ace and can't find any 16g stainless bends only sch10 which is very common.

Ahh 14g little thicker, I'll look again

Edit: and no 3.5" LOL

Last edited:
Can you link the page that you got the bends from? I looked at ace and can't find any 16g stainless bends only sch10 which is very common.
If you have any medical/food industry/ pharma fabrication shop nearby, you can grab it there for cheap. AND, it's always guaranteed to be 304L, which most places automotive oriented won't have (usually 409 junk or normal 304, which doesn't belong on a turbo car)

But its application is not for process so thats pointless to mention that! Exhaust is the standard and thats 1.6 reguardless. Dont get me wrong i think you done good and looks nice and all but im a more function over form guy and 4" and 2.1mm wall is alittle over board and in my eye super pointless and a waste of a build to me.

Please weigh the oem system and then this system, would be very interested in the difference.
Uh, it sure is frickin relevant when you can't easily or cheaply get most other thicknesses of 4", when you can simply go get 14ga wall tube at your local stainless shop... It's pointless to you because you aren't aware of the availability market in the USA.

Uh, it sure is frickin relevant when you can't easily or cheaply get most other thicknesses of 4", when you can simply go get 14ga wall tube at your local stainless shop... It's pointless to you because you aren't aware of the availability market in the USA.

Trust me the UK has alot less then in the USA! acestainless.com carry alot of stuff and it could have been bought online!

I dont think it's appropriate to say 304 doesnt belong on a turbo car, obviously 321 and 316 would be best for application but 304 works fine, it's also cost effective

Edit: ah 304 vs 304L (low carbon)

Last edited:

Ahh 14g little thicker, I'll look again

Edit: and no 3.5" LOL

Yeah, it's a little tricky because they do have 3.5" in straight sections but not bends. Different diameter bends are different thickness as well. (I wasn't quite sure if posting the link was allowed.)

Last edited:
Dont want to hijack but I have a 3in ss exhaust I bought of my buddy who paid someone to build for him. Well I need to fix the section after the rear subframe and Im not sure what grade ss it is. Whats good grade to get and what should I stay away from? Thanks. Only brought this up because there was a little talk of some grades

The product looks great on the car and the welds are clean. But I was thinking the same thing about it being a little much I mean I understand more hp bigger exhaust but if you go to big doesn't it decrease back pressure and hurt hp? sorry I just remember reading something way back when about when you upsize exhaust for particular hp. I love the welding tho

I dont think it's appropriate to say 304 doesnt belong on a turbo car, obviously 321 and 316 would be best for application but 304 works fine, it's also cost effective

Edit: ah 304 vs 304L (low carbon)
Yeah the l makes all the difference in the world pre turbo. 316 is really great for chemical resistance, but it's an oddball and very structurally weak

Yeah the l makes all the difference in the world pre turbo. 316 is really great for chemical resistance, but it's an oddball and very structurally weak

Where are you getting your information? And what do you mean by oddball?

316:
Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 89,900
Yield Strength, psi 60,200
Elongation 45%

304:
Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 73,200
Yield Strength, psi 31,200
Elongation 70%

What is your definition of weak and what are you comparing it to? I use 316L nearly as often, if not more than 304L often in the piping industry.

Where are you getting your information? And what do you mean by oddball?

316:
Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 89,900
Yield Strength, psi 60,200
Elongation 45%

304:
Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 73,200
Yield Strength, psi 31,200
Elongation 70%

What is your definition of weak and what are you comparing it to? I use 316L nearly as often, if not more than 304L often in the piping industry.

You're numbers are for ambient temps and they don't take into account creep rates. That being said any of the materials that he has said would be junk, would be fine for this application. Post turbo temps will never be an issue with those materials, thats why even factory turbo cars come with ferritic exhaust systems (mostly 409 and 441 or 444 in extreme cases).

To the o.p., nice job. The whole system looks really good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back