The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

4.5 qts to much oil???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97eclipsegst4g63

Proven Member
Sep 1, 2015
Livingston, Louisiana
Okay so i just completed my 6 bolt swap in my 97 gst spyder an im having a couple of odd problems with my oil. So to give yall some info on the car, i just did a 6 bolt swap with a completey rebuilt engine(still using rebuilt 7 bolt head) an most of my oil components are new including front facing oil filter housing, oil pump, dip stick. The block is bored over .20 an has the bse done. Okay so the first problem is i put 4.5 qts of oil in an my brand new 1g oil dipstick is reading way above the full notch, the second problem is after about 5-10 mins of it running the oil pressure drops almost all the way an doesnt move after that. I am clueless on what todo to fix this but i think it might have something to do with to much oil so any info on that would greatly be appreciated. Also my oil pan is slightly dented so idk if this has to do with the dip stick reading or if my dipstip is screwed up...... i just dont want to listen to my dipstick if its messed up an take to much oil out an it starve my freshly rebuilt engine an mess something up so any info would be great!!

Attachments

• 20150815_162021-1.jpg
    20150815_162021-1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 64
Dented pan needs to go. The pickup is way close to the bottom. 4.5 isnt over full and isnt the cause of your pressure.

4.5 quarts should not be over full. Do you have an aftermarket oil cooler? If so, that could increase your oil capacity. Are you checking the oil on level ground?

Second, are you going by what the stock oil pressure gauge says? The stock gauge is horribly inaccurate. An aftermarket gauge will give you a true oil pressure reading.

4.5 quarts should not be over full. Do you have an aftermarket oil cooler? If so, that could increase your oil capacity. Are you checking the oil on level ground?

Second, are you going by what the stock oil pressure gauge says? The stock gauge is horribly inaccurate. An aftermarket gauge will give you a true oil pressure reading.
No oil cooler yet an yes im checking it on level ground an unfortunately i am running the stock oil pressure gauge as of right now :/

Well when i did the 6 bolt swap i kept the 2g oil pick up tube.. could that be the problem??

Do you mean the oil pick-up for the oil pump, or the dip stick tube?

There are differences between the oil pick-up between the 6-bolt, 1g 7-bolt, and 2g 7-bolt.

The dip stick tube is interchangeable between 6 and 7 bolt engines. The dip stick is also interchangeable.

I would definitely recommend an aftermarket oil pressure gauge with the addition of a sending unit relocation kit (extends aftermarket sender service life). Extremepsi and JNZ sell them.

Do you mean the oil pick-up for the oil pump, or the dip stick tube?

There are differences between the oil pick-up between the 6-bolt, 1g 7-bolt, and 2g 7-bolt.

The dip stick tube is interchangeable between 6 and 7 bolt engines.
Yes the oil pick-up for the oil pump. I used my old 2g 7 bolt. I was told i couldnt use it but thought it was for clearance issue's but the oil pan went on with out hitting it so i went with it. Could that possible be my problem with the oil pressure???:ohdamn:

Dents and a deeper pick up are not a good mix. You need to use the 6-bolt oil pick up. It will be the pick-up on the right in the pic below:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Dents and a deeper pick up are not a good mix. You need to use the 6-bolt oil pick up. It should be the one on the right in the pic below:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Is there a reason why i have to use the 6 bolt pick up?? Jw since everything bolts up an the pick up is lower it should be able to pick up more oil(or atleast have access to more oil right???):idontknow:

It would be fine to use if you replaced the pan or fixed the dents (carefully).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back