The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

3g upper/lower control arms??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So that with that said, can I use a stock/aftermarket 2g GSX sway bar but use the 3g control arm setup together?

That way we get the benefit of tubular control arms (or later some thicker custom tubular), and still get to keep our sway bar on a 2g gsx?

This question being asked by a n00b road racer looking at what mods I can do for my suspesion at the track.

So that with that said, can I use a stock/aftermarket 2g GSX sway bar but use the 3g control arm setup together?

That way we get the benefit of tubular control arms (or later some thicker custom tubular), and still get to keep our sway bar on a 2g gsx?

This question being asked by a n00b road racer looking at what mods I can do for my suspesion at the track.

I have the 3g arms mounted on my car. They appear that they will work but untill I put my axles in I really can't say yeah or nay.

Kevin

psycho,

Just a thought, what if you swap the control arms? Then the swaybar mount will be on top, so more clearance for the toe bar... Or did you try it?

The sway bar mount on the control arm actually faces the rear of the car, not up or down. I can flip the control arm so the mount faces forward but the sway bar doesn't have the curvature to make the angle up, around and down the front side of the toe arm.

I tried to do this to see if stock control arms would work but it's the sway bar that I was having a prolem with. It just doesn't work. So to be able to use the 3G sway bar, you have to use the 3G control arms.

If you have a FWD, you can use the 3G arms with a 2G bar, as shown from the pics in post #2. Everything bolts together. We won't be able to tell if it will work on an AWD until Kevin drops his car or if someone else tries.

Ok, I see what you were saying. I'm ordering my stuff soon!

Question about bushings. If I buy the Prothane total kit will the rear bushings work on the 3g parts?

Do you know if you can order them separate?

what are these bushings here called? and where can i buy them? can i buy them seperately, cause mine are bad

Hey guys, I just wanted to post an update.

It was my tutorial back in the day and I had it posted here, but it didnt get too much attention.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/293463-rear-sway-bar-2g-rs-gs-gst-no-gsx.html

So, I'm gonna have the pictures uploaded later and in just a few words - I just finished installing a 22mm rear Addco sway bar for 3g Eclipse/8g Galant. It fits like it is made for it. Another option would be ST 22mm sway bar for 3g Eclipse. It's a pretty awesome piece as well

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So did we ever find out if the 3G stuff will clear the AWD suspension? That is about the only thing stopping me from ordering this stuff right now.

3g rear knuckles will not work with 2g awd. The reason they use a smaller hub assembly and is not recess for axle. I had a chance to compare this today when my friend was doing an awd conversion to his 3g using 2g rear sub frame. The other arms and link might work with 2g awd. I can confirm this once he's done.

:hellyeah:For those (AWD) who are trying to verify if the 3g works, IT DOES.:rocks:

I installed a 3g sway bar and lower arms on my AWD, they do fit and the frame doesn't needs to be trim like the FWD, It clears nice, The only modification I did was, to bring the exhaust angle a little far back to clear the sway bar.
The 3g say bar doesn't have the angle to clear the exhaust, so the exhaust needs to be modify.
I installed everything, went for the Alignment and enjoy the ride.:cool:

Last edited:
Can I buy only the upper control arms?
Can I buy only the lower control arms?
Those are my main interests right now

Can you buy only the lower control arms?.
Or you mean, if you can install only the lower control arm.

You can buy only the lower or upper control arms (Individually).
How ever, You can install only the lower control arm by it self, or the upper control arms as well.

Last edited:
Yes you are right.
Sorry for the confusion from my side.
You can install the upper arms by them self, but, to install the lower arms, you need the 3g sway bar as well, including the end links, You can not install a 3g lower arm by it self, which they required a 3g sway bar.
On 2g end link, both end of the link are facing on the same direction, which the 3g end link, one end is facing on the opposite side.
Hope this clears out.

Sorry, trying to follow along.

Read this a couple of times, the gist of what I read is.

I can use all 3g pieces on my 2g awd correct.
I can replace all 6 on the front and the 4 on the rear. Just need to look at a larger sway bar like the ST one?

Sorry, I need to either swap out all my arms or I need to start finding ball joints to replace in the second set of arms I have sitting in my garage.

Thanks for any help.

What I have known is the 99 and 3g shares he same front wheel bearing, But the 95 - 98 are totally different, so that makes me think that only the 99 will share the same front arms.
Don't quote me on this, But hopefully some one can chime in and gives a clear answer.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back