The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

3D printed 1G model

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91-GS

Proven Member
Jan 12, 2013
Paris, Tennessee
Had some free time at work today, so decided to make a 3D model of a 1G. Got a model off the internet, fixed it up a bit, and sent to a printer. Few hours later had two halves of the car and four wheels. Glued it together and painted the body to smooth it out a little.
The red model is a store-bought 1/36 scale Evo. The DSM turned out to be slightly smaller than the red model, closer to 1/40th scale.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Interesting. I wondered when someone would start messing with making dsm stuff from one of those printers.

I bet if you keep messing with it and get it more detailed that a bunch of guys would want one so they can paint it up like their own car.
Remember that time we got caught playin with matchbox cars in biology? "yeah" Who's retarded now! :thumb:

The computer model is pretty detailed, but since this car is so small almost all of the details did not show up. On the bright side it can be scaled up to about twice the size (due to printer's size limits), so window outlines, trim, and stuff like that will show up better. Will try that one of these days.
For painting what can be done is a mold can be created from a printed model and then plaster car models produced. Plaster's nice since it absorbs moisture and can be painted with pretty much any pencils, acrylics, or markers. Too bad we don't have a vacuum forming machine, would have tried making plastic shells like ones used for automotive paint samples.

Do you have any ideas for DSM related objects that can be printed?

How about raised GS, GST, GSX lettering to match the center section of the tail lights. I know that there are stickers to rebadge the car and raised letters that one could buy, but it's hard to find them in the right font. IDK, just a thought. It's small enough for the printer to do and it shouldn't be that hard to take the factory lettering and make them 3D.

I would just use the stock fonts. Like either 1g or 2g. Instead of having a little sticker saying GS,GST, Etc, you could have slightly raised lettering for the badge. I think it may look kind of cool. Or something else you could do is a plastic turbo key chain LOL

A functional plastic turbo key chain. Kinda like a whistle, but has a little wheel inside that spins. For those times when you just gotta hear the sound of a turbo :)

If enough people show interest in these little models i can talk with the poss and ask for permission to make a batch of them. Will need to sell about $200 of them though to cover materials and a Freelancer status here. What sounds like a fair price per one?

Have been working on the 3D model some. Trying to remove the spoiler and make a set of accessories, kinda similar to a plastic kits that can be got at a hobby store.

what you should do with that file is send it to an engineering program to do some aero calculation for the drag coefficient of our cars =] So we can reinvent the HP calculator.

$200 is a lot of little models LOL

What type of printer makes that? Sounds like the plastic equivalent to an automated milling machine.

It literally prints it a thin layer at a time (google 3D printer), a milling machine machine produces much better results, but takes a lot more effort. I was able to get my community college to print anything I wanted for free as long as I designed it could be uploaded as is ready to print. (not as trivial as you may think).

This particular one works by melting a plastic filament (similar to a weed eater string) and deposits this soft heated up string onto a build table layer by layer. The machine is a "Fused filament forming" or FFF type. While it is much cheaper than other kinds of machines, it produces a rougher finish and a part that is not very strong. It seems like a popular type is similar to an inkjet printer in that it deposits glue onto layers of fine plastic powder (although some use laser to melt said powder). These machines produce a much better finish, but are larger in size and more expensive to own. Some machines use liquid polymer instead of powder and use lasers to harden the layers.

In a way an FFF printer, or any 3D printer can be looked at as a reverse of a mill. Where a mill removes material in a pre-programmed areas, a 3D printer adds it.

Also look up a "3D pen". Pretty neat idea.

Well, my modeling skills are not good enough yet to create a turbocharger of any size, but for your viewing pleasure here are some 1G models. It is same exact 3D model as in first post, only scaled down. Have been printing these cars as sort of a benchmark to compare different filaments and printer settings. First picture has a penny for scale:

Have only just noticed how many impurities are in the 'clear' model. Not sure what they are but looks like either dust or burnt filament bits from extruder being too hot.

Also below is some DSM lettering in glorious 3D:

These letters are about 30mm tall. Since they were one of earlier prints they are pretty far from perfect. Still, gotta start somewhere.

That's pretty sweet, I would definitely take one but I'd like it to be a bigger model on the scale of the model car kits .

Would be nice, unfortunately that would mean replacing the entire hot end to take extruded filament diameter to 0.2 or 0.1 mm (from 0.3 currently) and that is not possible at this time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back