The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

300GT VR4 Calipers on a 2G, what lines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjw205

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2006
Syracuse, New_York
Been searching all of the threads, can't find much on this. What brake lines are you 2G guys running for brake lines with the VR4 front calipers? Are the ones RTM sells the only option? Or can I make the 1G or 3KGT ones work on my 2G?

A quick breakdown
GSX (2-piston) caliper + GSX Bracket + GSX pads + stock rotor
= Doesn't work, gsx pads hang about 1/4 inch off the end of the rotor.
= Does fit inside stock 16" 5star wheels

GSX caliper + GSX bracket + GSX rotor + GSX pads
= Works perfectly in stock 16"s
= Must bend back or replace dust shield (you have to unbolt the hub from the axle to remove it)

GSX caliper + GSX bracket + AEM GSX big brake kit & big rotor
= Needs 2mm ground off the gsx bracket and the 2gnt hub
= Needs dust shield severly bent back or removed
= Needs at least 17" wheels, of correct offset.

A GSX caliper does not fit in 2gnt bracket. A 2GNT caliper will bolt to AEM GSX big brake kit. You must have a GSX bracket to mount a GSX caliper with GSX pads.

There are (at least) 3 different kinds of GSX calipers
- 1995-1999 GSX, 7mm bleeder (8mm wrench), banjo fitting
- 1993-1994 GSX, 10mm bleeder (10mm wrench), flare fitting
- 1990-1992 GSX, Unknown, but is smaller, and has smaller pistons. Same size as 1990-1994 GST stock brakes

3000gt/stealth VR4/turbo uses 4 piston calipers and totally different pads and brackets. Only thing useful is the front brakes an from a nonturbo 3000gt SL.

Be prepared to round off the fitting on the factory hard lines. Use lots of liquid wrench. I had to use an air hammer against a 10mm openend wrench (ghetto impact wrench!) to undo it. You may want spares before you start. Front pair should be $10 total.

GSX Caliper rebuild kit | Raybestos WK2029 or Brakeware 66164, contains 2 rubber seals, 2 rings, and 2 boots. You'll need 2 packages. For some reason, Autozone lists this under 1993 Nonturbo 3000gt.

GSX pad retaining clips | Raybestos 15771 or Brakeware H5832, contains 4 metal clips that sit in bracket and hold the pads in place. You only need one package.

Factory OEM part numbers |
RMB 699 450 Remanufactured Caliper Kit LH (includes caliper, bracket, and bolts)
RMB 699 451 Remanufactured Caliper Kit RH (includes caliper, bracket, and bolts)
MR 493-985 Pad Set
MR 389-652 Shim Kit
MR 389-599 Clip Set

You can purchase stainless steel braided brake lines from Road /// Race Engineering for $85 includes all 4 lines. You will want to be sure to specify which style of brakes you have so you can get the lines with the correct fittings to accomodate your caliper. For example, if you have a set of 1G GSX calipers you will need to specify that you need the "screw-in style fitting" for your 2G lines.

courtesy of 2GNT.com - GSX_Front_Brake_Conversion

Have you seen this one

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...973-05-06-outlander-bigger-brake-upgrade.html

Yes, thanks, but I'm already aware of all of that info. I have already purchased the VR4 4-piston front calipers, adapters, hubcentric rings, etc. I just need to know what people are using to fit the screw-in style calipers to the 2G (stock lines are banjo). I did't know if you can use a 1G line, use an adapter, or if you are forced to buy something like this from RTM:

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18210&cat=1765&page=1

the 1g lines will work or the stock vr4 lines should swap over.

The 1G lines are 2 pieces as are the lines on the VR4, so you could use them if you wanted to but you'd need to find a coupler to connect the 2 hoses. As for whether or not the connection to the hard lines on the 1G and 2G is the same, the answer is yes. For the price that RTM is charging that seems pretty reasonable when you consider a braided set of lines for our cars can run as much as $200. Just save yourself the headache and buy the premade ones.

Last edited:
OK, thanks guys. That helps.

As for the 1G lines, why would I need a coupler? I understand they are 2 pieces, but what is the "coupler" on the OEM lines?

Thanks.

Because on the 1G lines there is a hose that runs from the caliper to a hard line that is bolted to the strut, then there is a hose that runs from there to the inner fender. Believe me, I don't know why they made it 2 lines but they did. I can't count how many times I've run into a situation where I tweaked the little hard line and had to make a new one :banghead: I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about when I can get one uploaded tomorrow.

I got my lines from RRE, perfect fit, bolt on and forget about them.

Thread revival! Hey guys, upgrading and I can't seem to find lines. I'm using the stock hard lines, which I need to go to my 1g vr4 calipers. This is on my 2g GSX.

Thread revival! Hey guys, upgrading and I can't seem to find lines. I'm using the stock hard lines, which I need to go to my 1g vr4 calipers. This is on my 2g GSX.

After reading and searching around, I ordered the lines from RTM. Great quality and perfect fit. Don't have to worry about modifying everything. It's worth the money.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back