The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

3 transmissions, which would you rebuild?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhan

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2010
Denver, Colorado
I have three AWD manual transmissions and would like to rebuild one. I was just wondering if one is a better candidate than the other.

Two of these trans have the NQBK code, which according to the database.... they're out of a Galant VR4, so they have the VR4 and Evo I gearbox.
One of these NQBK is in my car now and makes a weird/bad sound when in gear, but works alright. The second is in the garage with a frozen input shaft and a hole in the bell housing.

The third trans is branded NPXV, which this database says is out of a 91-94 DSM. It says this trans has the Evo II/III gearbox, with double syncros on 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears; and 2.750 and 1.684 ratios on 1st and 2nd. Not sure how reliable that info is though.

I use my car for commuting, an occasional rallycross, and take it to the strip maybe a dozen times a year.

Last edited:
The gvr4 and evo 1 boxes are completely different ratios. Use the NPXV box and get that one torn down.

If you pull all the VIN numbers on the bellhousings I can run more detailed check of when they were made originally.

The NPXV box with a good case is the best choice to start building. Especially if it is a 1991.6-1992.5 for cost of parts.

If you ever launch your car, the OEM first gear for the GVR4 is notoriously weak
The gvr4 and evo 1 boxes are completely different ratios.

Both of the GVR4 trans served me well, but no wonder they were so cheap when I got them off Craigslist!

If you pull all the VIN numbers on the bellhousings I can run more detailed check of when they were made originally.
The NPXV box with a good case is the best choice to start building. Especially if it is a 1991.6-1992.5 for cost of parts.

Each transmission has additional markings under the ID stamps. I assume these are the VINs....

The two NQBK trans are KT4061 and JS0821

The NPXV says LJ5393

I've never actually tried the NPXV, but the guy I got it from said it worked. It goes into all the gears easily and the input shaft spins, so I believe him.

No, there is an actual 17 digit VIN number stamped along the bellhousing flange towards the shifter side. Those extra numbers are just batch information.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

No, there is an actual 17 digit VIN number stamped along the bellhousing flange towards the shifter side. Those extra numbers are just batch information.

Oh, I see. The NPXV VIN is 4E3CT64U3ME055600

That spot on the NQBK trans is blank for some reason. Sounds like this NPXV trans is the way to go anyway.

Oh, I see. The NPXV VIN is 4E3CT64U3ME055600

That spot on the NQBK trans is blank for some reason. Sounds like this NPXV trans is the way to go anyway.
That trans originally came out of a 1991 Eagle Talon; I don't have STARPARTS anymore so I cannot pull up the month it was produced, so there are 3 variations of gearsets that were in the 1991 NPXV transmissions. This can be identified though by a simple thing -- the 5th gear cover, and the shift lever assembly. The Early 5th gear cover has a bigger flat spot along the top of the 5th gear cover (the slanted portion) to clear an aluminum 5th/rev shift fork and small diameter 5th/rev hub and slider assembly. This is the 1990-1991.5 gearset in stock form with 2x identification marks on the 5th gear and 5th intermediate gear. The late 5th gear cover has a narrower flat spot along the top of the 5th gear cover (the slanted portion) to clear the larger steel 5th/rev shift fork and hub and slider assembly. This is the 1991.6-1992.5 gearset with 3x identification marks on the 5th gear and 5th intermediate gear. This can simply be checked by popping off 5th gear cover, OR taking a photo of the top of the 5th gear cover to identify it.

That trans originally came out of a 1991 Eagle Talon; I don't have STARPARTS anymore so I cannot pull up the month it was produced, so there are 3 variations of gearsets that were in the 1991 NPXV transmissions. This can be identified though by a simple thing -- the 5th gear cover, and the shift lever assembly. The Early 5th gear cover has a bigger flat spot along the top of the 5th gear cover (the slanted portion) to clear an aluminum 5th/rev shift fork and small diameter 5th/rev hub and slider assembly. This is the 1990-1991.5 gearset in stock form with 2x identification marks on the 5th gear and 5th intermediate gear. The late 5th gear cover has a narrower flat spot along the top of the 5th gear cover (the slanted portion) to clear the larger steel 5th/rev shift fork and hub and slider assembly. This is the 1991.6-1992.5 gearset with 3x identification marks on the 5th gear and 5th intermediate gear. This can simply be checked by popping off 5th gear cover, OR taking a photo of the top of the 5th gear cover to identify it.

Thank you for all this info!! I love this stuff. Always interesting to hear history and details about this platform. I didn't get a chance to take the gear cover off because of time, but I snapped a couple photos that I hope help narrow it down.

Also, I was browsing through your site and see that you rebuild the transmissions! What's the best way to start this process? PM, email, or just through the website? It won't be until after the holidays, but am curious.

Attachments

• 20171222_191850.jpg
    20171222_191850.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 20171222_191910.jpg
    20171222_191910.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 157

I too am also trying to figure out which transmission I should run and which I should use for a rebuild, maybe my pics will help the OP. I have two NPXV transmissions that have the same 5th gear cover (slanted portion and part number MD741185). Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe both have 3x identification marks on the 5th gear, although one has an early reverse gear. I have labeled the two transmissions as silver and black, with silver having the early reverse gear. Is the silver the mid-1991-early 1992 / black late 1992-1999 Or would further disassembly be required?

Both of these transmissions were purchased and I have not used either. The PO of the black said it was disassembled and inspected last year and the PO of the silver claimed he purchased it from someone as being a shep stage 2 (rebuilt 5+ years ago) so who knows.

Thanks in advance Wiseman.

Additional great tranny info from Wiseman:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/differences-in-oil-guides-in-our-transmissions.429276/

Attachments

• BLACK.jpg
    BLACK.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 135
  • BOTH.JPG
    BOTH.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 146
  • SILVER.jpg
    SILVER.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Thank you for all this info!! I love this stuff. Always interesting to hear history and details about this platform. I didn't get a chance to take the gear cover off because of time, but I snapped a couple photos that I hope help narrow it down.

Also, I was browsing through your site and see that you rebuild the transmissions! What's the best way to start this process? PM, email, or just through the website? It won't be until after the holidays, but am curious.
Your NPXV transmission is a 1990 gearset; you have the early style 5th gear cover on it. Now, take a close look at your two GVR4 transmissions and see if they have the same 5th gear cover.

I too am also trying to figure out which transmission I should run and which I should use for a rebuild, maybe my pics will help the OP. I have two NPXV transmissions that have the same 5th gear cover (slanted portion and part number MD741185). Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe both have 3x identification marks on the 5th gear, although one has an early reverse gear. I have labeled the two transmissions as silver and black, with silver having the early reverse gear. Is the silver the mid-1991-early 1992 / black late 1992-1999 Or would further disassembly be required?

Both of these transmissions were purchased and I have not used either. The PO of the black said it was disassembled and inspected last year and the PO of the silver claimed he purchased it from someone as being a shep stage 2 (rebuilt 5+ years ago) so who knows.

Thanks in advance Wiseman.

Additional great tranny info from Wiseman:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/differences-in-oil-guides-in-our-transmissions.429276/

Both of your NPXV transmissions are 1991.6-1992.5; steel 5th/rev fork, late version 5th/reverse gearset. You would have to look inside to see if either one has a 2-hole or 3-hole 3rd/4th shift fork but i would suspect both are 2-hole 1991.6-1992.5 3/4 shift fork and gearsets. The cleaner one is by far the silver one just from the lack of residue internally.

Both of your NPXV transmissions are 1991.6-1992.5; steel 5th/rev fork, late version 5th/reverse gearset. You would have to look inside to see if either one has a 2-hole or 3-hole 3rd/4th shift fork but i would suspect both are 2-hole 1991.6-1992.5 3/4 shift fork and gearsets. The cleaner one is by far the silver one just from the lack of residue internally.

I'd really like to take off the next piece of casing but I don't have a special tool for disassembling and retorqing the splines. Sounds like I'll be using the silver for now and saving the black npxv for an evo cluster!

Thanks again Wiseman!

No problem, you can see the 3rd/4th fork through the oil passageway holes in the bearing plate case section by using a flashlight and looking down into it.

No problem, you can see the 3rd/4th fork through the oil passageway holes in the bearing plate case section by using a flashlight and looking down into it.

I just checked and it appears that the silver one has the two hole shift fork while the black has the three hole 3rd/4th gear shift fork. I find this rather odd since the silver npxv has the earlier 5 gear.

Well they used NPXV from 1991-1994 on several different variations of internal components, hence why it is important to look at VIN numbers, or have it torn down.

The 2-hole 3/4 fork was used from 1989-1992.5, so there are then the variations of gearsets still happening. The 3-hole 3/4 shift fork was used from 1992.6-1999.

Both of your transmissions are using the 1991.6-1994 5th gearset with the large diameter synchros.

If both transmissions are using a stock center diff (instead of a 4-spider center diff upgrade), the 2-hole shift fork 3rd/4th one has a more durable hub and slider above 400tq, but the 3-hole one has a larger synchro and stronger shift fork.

Either way, there are way more variables to just that when going through the transmission , but if one looks visually better internally than the other, i would start there as a better choice. Neither look like the 5th intermediate gear has eaten itself into the bearing plate so that's a plus (easy sign of excessively worn intermediate shaft tapered roller bearings).

Your NPXV transmission is a 1990 gearset; you have the early style 5th gear cover on it. Now, take a close look at your two GVR4 transmissions and see if they have the same 5th gear cover.

Here is a shot of one of the two GVR4 trans (the one that's currently installed in the car). The other GVR4 trans is in the back of my tool shed so I'll have to wait until daylight to get to it. The one in the tool shed goes into each gear, but the input shaft won't budge and there's a hole in the bell housing. Probably can't really tell its condition without opening it up.....

Here is a photo of the frozen GVR4 trans and a better shot of the one in the car. It looks like they both have the early style 5th gear cover. So given that all three of these trans have this early style gearset, is the NPXV probably the best candidate?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but any chance this NPXV 5th gear cover can be identified? It has an M in the 10th VIN position so I know it's a 91. It has a 23-spline output shaft, and I think this is the long curved shifter linkage? I had to get someone else to take the pictures and they didn't end up getting a more top side view of the slanted portion of the 5th gear cover. I have used the best pictures I can find with what I was given, and the second picture (which isn't much to go off) doesn't look like the slanted portion is too wide, but it's really difficult for me to tell.

I wasn't able to get the guy to open up the 5th gear cover so this is as far as I can go identification wise before I have to drive 6 hours to get a better view for myself. I'm hoping it's a 91.6-92.5 gearset so I can harvest the 3/4 gears, hub&slider, shift rail, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back