The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 2nd torque converter in 6 months

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
Wanted to reach out to you trans guys.. Tranny was rebuilt 6 months ago. The other day I was driving and got the shuddering i got last time the TC went out. I didnt know it was the tc last time and drove til the bands exploded.

Brand new daaco converter and rebuild and 6 months later it starts again, this time i immediately park it and get it to the shop. We havent dug into it yet but it through converter code and acted just like the last time.

What would be causing this? My car is slightly modified but only in the 300hp range. Im not driving a 500hp and up car. Maybe i just got a bad TC i dont know, but im curious what might cause this.

Front pump alignment or worn out pump possibly. Also, did change the front bushing and clean the center lug of new converter with emery cloth to remove all the paint? If you don't, I've seen it dozens of times that it will cause irregular wear on all components like bushings and shaft as well as destroyind the pump.

looks like its just another bad converter everything else seems to check out. Pan was clean so no clutch material

I think onve i get this motor built and ready to swap it would be a good time to get an ipt converter. This one was covered under warranty but left a bad taste in my mouth from daaco.

The converter literally shook like a rattle when i took it out.

I think onve i get this motor built and ready to swap it would be a good time to get an ipt converter. This one was covered under warranty but left a bad taste in my mouth from daaco.

The converter literally shook like a rattle when i took it out.

First off,WOW... Definitely a defective converter. :thumb: For IPT.

Ya.. its not even a track car so its not like i brake boosted it enough to destroy fluid. I think maybe 2 tomes in 6 months.

These cars should handle the occasional boosting without grenading a converter, but now i dont even want to get on it LOL...

On a good note, clutch packs and everything else still looked mint.

Ya.. its not even a track car so its not like i brake boosted it enough to destroy fluid. I think maybe 2 tomes in 6 months.

These cars should handle the occasional boosting without grenading a converter, but now i dont even want to get on it LOL...

On a good note, clutch packs and everything else still looked mint.

Being afraid of boosting our cars is never a good thing. If that's the case you should just s LOL it. Defect it parts batches happens and sometimes consecutive too.
Install the new one and drive it how you want. If the part can't hold up I personally would like to know ASAP so it can be addressed and move on! Don't let the past haunt you, instead learn and move forward.

:thumb: Good to hear that the hard parts are still good

Being afraid of boosting our cars is never a good thing. If that's the case you should just s LOL it. Defect it parts batches happens and sometimes consecutive too.
Install the new one and drive it how you want. If the part can't hold up I personally would like to know ASAP so it can be addressed and move on! Don't let the past haunt you, instead learn and move forward.

:thumb: Good to hear that the hard parts are still good
I probably will... just sour about it.. 1 drive to work and ill be embarassing mustangs again im sure

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back